Author Topic: Ad in Bottom Right Corner - Fowler -Kobe Tribute  (Read 8637 times)

Ad in Bottom Right Corner - Fowler -Kobe Tribute
« on: February 11, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Is anyone else having trouble closing the vid ad in the bottom right corner - Fowler? Will this be standard for every visit and every visitor?
Every time I come here, the pop-up ad (of Kobe tributes) appears and even though I close it, it reappears. It messes up the page ad scheme and it seems to have problems rendering in Microsoft Edge, which is what I'm using.

Re: Ad in Bottom Right Corner - Fowler -Kobe Tribute
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 03:42:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Mine keeps regenerating constantly, as well.  It's only when I use my laptop, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 04:12:46 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Is anyone else having trouble closing the vid ad in the bottom right corner - Fowler? Will this be standard for every visit and every visitor?
Every time I come here, the pop-up ad (of Kobe tributes) appears and even though I close it, it reappears. It messes up the page ad scheme and it seems to have problems rendering in Microsoft Edge, which is what I'm using.

I am having it too.  I am on an iMac.

I also keep having a really frustrating issue of being in the middle of a post and then I will get knocked out of the text box.  Sometimes I lose the post completely, sometimes I just have to scroll back up.  Not sure I should make a new thread about that unless others are having it as well.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I was thinking of bringing up the exact same thing. Then again, I'd rather just see the videos with the um, enhanced female correspondents  ;).

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 04:27:37 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. We had originally committed to a 30 day trial with this widget, so I'm going to take notes on all of this and see if it can be resolved better moving forward. If not, we'll axe it entirely.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 04:30:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think byennie mentioned using a different ad format - possibly leaving more of the screen to CS content and not having the banner be so obtrusive. I'll admit, I am not a fan of the video appearing every time I click on a new thread page, give a tp, or post a comment; and would probably prefer a small ad at the top that you can scroll past; but we did know what we were getting ourselves into when CS became independent of CB.

Despite the ads, I will say that the site works so much better than it used to. It was a slog doing anything in the last couple years there with SBNation.

Edit: byennie just responded above me. I'm guessing he knows a little more than I do  ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:45:24 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 04:36:24 PM »

Online byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I think byennie mentioned using a different ad format - possibly leaving more of the screen to CS content and not having the banner being so obtrusive. I'll admit, I am not a fan of the video appearing every time I click on a new thread page, give a tp, or post a comment; and would probably prefer a small ad at the top that you can scroll past; but we did not what we were getting ourselves into when CS became independent of CB.

Despite the ads, I will say that the site works so much better than it used to. It was a slog doing anything in the last couple years there with SBNation.

Edit: byennie just responded above me. I'm guessing he knows a little more than I do  ;)

Hehe I suppose I do =). Thanks for the supportive words. I definitely feel dirty every time I add one of these things, but FWIW my priorities are something like:

1) Spend enough time and money to make the site reliable and fast, within reason. Don't break stuff.
2) Don't lose money -- thus the ads -- so this can continue indefinitely
3) Make the ads less annoying based on feedback
4) Make gradual improvements, especially anything that might increase our reach (thus the modest additions around social integration)

All that said, I dunno if I can take another Kobe crash video (and not just on this site)...

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 04:40:07 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think byennie mentioned using a different ad format - possibly leaving more of the screen to CS content and not having the banner being so obtrusive. I'll admit, I am not a fan of the video appearing every time I click on a new thread page, give a tp, or post a comment; and would probably prefer a small ad at the top that you can scroll past; but we did not what we were getting ourselves into when CS became independent of CB.

Hehe I suppose I do =). Thanks for the supportive words. I definitely feel dirty every time I add one of these things, but FWIW my priorities are something like:

1) Spend enough time and money to make the site reliable and fast, within reason. Don't break stuff.
4) Make gradual improvements, especially anything that might increase our reach (thus the modest additions around social integration)

All that said, I dunno if I can take another Kobe crash video (and not just on this site)...

that sounds like a really reasonable priority list to me.
:)

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 04:43:55 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

Byennie, (or anyone how knows) i'm curious, does the site make more $ if someone clicks on an ad and then actually buys that item/and or another item on that site, or do you just make money on the ad showing up? 

the site is obviously tracking my searches, cause it shows ads for things ive looked at..(not that i'm happy about that) but given that I can't escape it...would it benefit this site if i wait til an ad shows up and then click on it to actually purchase something i may be researching, or does it not have an impact?  thanks!

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 07:08:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback. We had originally committed to a 30 day trial with this widget, so I'm going to take notes on all of this and see if it can be resolved better moving forward. If not, we'll axe it entirely.
I'd be all for axing it if the ad cannot be contained to that column on the right and prevented from encroaching on the  rest of the page.  it's because it crosses that invisible line of that right column that requires closing the window to post, sometimes read a thread (if screen is narrowed) or even scroll the page.  I've experienced all of the issues mentioned above. 

I get the need for ad revenue but when it's obstructing the content of the site, it becomes counterproductive and makes the site less enjoyable.

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 12:35:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yeah I'm at the point where I'm just annoyed with the bottom right Kobe ads/tributes.

Like even if you click on a different thread or simply go to create a post, an ad ALWAYS pops up. Every single time. So annoying.

Is this seriously going to be there for basically forever now? I mean I guess if the site makes money off it then I'm fine with it, otherwise...  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 01:21:12 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
"Google Ad Block" is my BEST friend.

It was free to download.

Rather powerful and effective...yet it does allow you to switch on / off.

EDIT - this is on Google Chrome....not sure how many use GC.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:29:39 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 02:57:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
"Google Ad Block" is my BEST friend.

It was free to download.

Rather powerful and effective...yet it does allow you to switch on / off.

EDIT - this is on Google Chrome....not sure how many use GC.

Yeah actually I think I'll just download that. RIP Kobe, but the constant ads are truly becoming nauseating.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2020, 03:10:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Please make it stop.