Author Topic: Celts going after Raja Bell?  (Read 10875 times)

Celts going after Raja Bell?
« on: February 18, 2009, 01:23:53 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The Boston Celtics have called the Bobcats about the availability of Raja Bell, Adrian Wojnarowski from Yahoo! Sports is reporting.

Boston currently has nothing that Charlotte wants in return for the veteran guard, according to the report.

Meanwhile, after several months of trying the Celtics have not been able to trade 2008 first-round pick J.R. Giddens for a draft choice.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ai6ivegZJGYcLn5NRisjvfs5nYcB?slug=aw-tradebuzz021709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Re: Celts going after Raja Bell?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 01:32:11 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

Raja and I have similar interests

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V8ZukXsWmk

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:14:27 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
This is good news, I have always like Raja. He can spread the floor with his 3 point shooting, can play tough Defense , and how could you not like a guy that takes out Kobe with a clothesline !!!

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b2oyeo

I wonder if this trade would get it done?

Bos sends: Scal, Giddens and BBD

Char sends: Raja Bell

We would have 3 roster spots open

1) Sign Horry to replace BBD
2) Sign a Big man Pollard? hopefully someone better is bought out
3) Sign Sam I am

I would go to battle with that team and take my chances

New Roster

PG: Rondo, Pruitt , Sam
SG: RAY  , House  , Raja
SF: pp   , Raja   , Walker
PF: KG   , Powe   , Horry
C : Perk , Vet Big, Horry
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 02:20:22 AM by rondohondo »

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 02:29:21 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Man, we really have nothing to trade except cash.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 02:36:41 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I think BBD and Powe have some value around the league . We are most likely going to lose one of them at the end of the season because both are free agents, so why not trade one of them now before losing either Powe or BBD for nothing

I think if you package

Powe or BBD with a player or 2 from the list below you could get a decent return

Moveable players
1)Giddens
2) Walker
3) Pruitt
4) Scal for salary reasons

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 02:48:24 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
It would be nice to add Bell to this team. His defense is still great and he can shoot the ball too. The ideal package would be to add Mohammed from the Bobcats too. We would fill two needs and then we could sign Marbury when/if he gets bought out.

Marbury, Bell and Mohammed would be great upgrades. Problem is we can offer nothing to Charlotte, really. The only valuable contract on our bench is Scal's, but we really need Brian this year.

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 03:36:47 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I think BBD and Powe have some value around the league . We are most likely going to lose one of them at the end of the season because both are free agents, so why not trade one of them now before losing either Powe or BBD for nothing

I think if you package

Powe or BBD with a player or 2 from the list below you could get a decent return

Moveable players
1)Giddens
2) Walker
3) Pruitt

BBD and Powe don't earn much, so what can we get for that? How much is a team willing to give up for 2 months of one of those guys? Scal's contract has another full year, so it doesn't much relief in most deals people suggest.

Giddens? Who would want to be required to pay him a contract for next year? Is there any reason to expect that any team ha any interest in Pruitt or Giddens? I expect Walker has some value.

Our only ally is the economic crisis. A lot of teams will want to cut payroll, especially with salary caps possibly getting smaller in the next few years as revenues shrink. Perhaps saving 500k will be enough for some teams to allow us to fleece them in trades.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 04:57:24 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

We still have our 2011 First Round Pick.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 05:46:50 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

Raja and I have similar interests

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V8ZukXsWmk

haha wow that's hectic. did they call a flagrant 2 on that?

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 06:26:14 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

We still have our 2011 First Round Pick.

Unfortunately, I doubt it's enough.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:21:50 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
You know who I'd love to see the C's pursue even more, kind of in the same vein as Bell?

Bell's teammate earlier in the year, Matt Barnes.  Solid defensive player.  OK shooter (much better than earlier in his career).  He also only makes $1.2M.  He'd fit right into that salary exemption we just picked up from trading Cassell.  Now, I doubt Phoenix unloads him, especially since he's so cheap - but given how cheap their ownership has proven to be, might they be tempted by $3M cash and a protected draft pick?

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:32:19 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I think if you package

Moveable players
1)Giddens
2) Walker
3) Pruitt

What is that thought based upon, though?  Every report we hear says "Team X isn't interested in anything that Boston has to offer".  There have been numerous reports (this is at least the third) that there is no interest in Giddens, despite the Celts trying to move him.

I think other teams see our backups for what they are:  inconsistent, unrealized potential, or scrubs.  You're not going to get a lot for that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 07:40:21 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Correct as usual, Roy.

Despite the hyperbole we read on this board about these players being assets, they're actually only assets in the minds of some Celtics fans. They don't appear to have much value around the league.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 08:10:20 AM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Coach Bo,

I do not know if Celtics fans/homers ect. even really value these players. We (the fans) seemingly willing to trade anything and everything on that bench.  It is my perception that most fans would trade 6-15 if it brought back 1 or 2 good players and play short handed (slight exaggeration). 

Sad thing is if any of these guys that are thrown around in the trade rumors were to be shipped to Charlotte they would still be back end of the bench guys there.  POB is the 12th man on a roster wherever he goes.  So I just cannot understand why Charlotte send us a 6th man for a bunch of 8-9's, unless they are totaly strapped for $?

Lets just make sure to say our prayers that we can get some help over waivers because noone wants our trash, not even us.

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 08:51:09 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
That would be sweet if Ainge can convince MJ that our scrubs are worth Bell. ;D  Not counting on it though. :-[
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson