Poll

Seeding Games: Will the Grizzlies make the playoffs?

Yes
2 (12.5%)
No
14 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Memphis Grizzlies 2019-2020 Watch Thread (#14)  (Read 93526 times)

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2019-2020 Watch Thread (1-5, as of 11/4)
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2019, 08:53:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Memphis beats the Timberwolves tonight. Booooo
Ideally they'd win enough games to not get into a top 4 slot so they get a pick in the 5-6 range to just miss out on the top prospects in this draft :laugh:

Yep.  4th worst is ideal.  Not the top lottery odds, but it would take three teams jumping up for the pick to convey, and if it did convey, it would be 7th or 8th.
Yup, we don't want them to lose too many games.
I realize it's still early in the college season to get a good sense of how deep this draft will really be but I admit I'm on the fence about whether it would be good for the pick to carryover to next year. 

« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2019, 09:02:23 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I don't think we ever see this pick.  I believe it will be dealt, along with players, for a big, like a Drummod or KAT.

That's very unlikely because the Celts would have to include Hayward or Smart or Kemba.

Right now the price the Celts can afford is around 18m, a player with a salary of 18m this season.

Both KAT and Drummond are getting 27m each this season.
So that's out of the Celts' price range.

« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2019, 09:08:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don't think we ever see this pick.  I believe it will be dealt, along with players, for a big, like a Drummod or KAT.

That's very unlikely because the Celts would have to include Hayward or Smart or Kemba.

Right now the price the Celts can afford is around 18m, a player with a salary of 18m this season.

I'd trade Tatum, Smart and picks for KAT, he's a truly transcendent big man talent. But if we somehow don't need to give up Tatum/Brown for KAT I'd be happy to trade Smart plus filler like Theis/Hayward and every pick/prospect we have.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2019, 09:09:08 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I mostly agree with you. See that, Fierce1. We can get along!!

I would say that there's no way we are dealing one of those guys for Drummond, which makes the trade an impossibility. KAT might be a little different.

Still, I watched some of him this year and I HATE his body language. He doesn't carry himself like an unselfish, mature, team guy. He seems much more entitled, selfish, chip-and-his-shoulders-but-not-in-the-good-way.

Teammates just don't look happy playing with him.

The talent is undeniable, but if there is anything we learned from Kyrie, it's that you have to have the right kind of guy, not just the right level of talent.

« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2019, 09:25:33 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I mostly agree with you. See that, Fierce1. We can get along!!

I would say that there's no way we are dealing one of those guys for Drummond, which makes the trade an impossibility. KAT might be a little different.

Still, I watched some of him this year and I HATE his body language. He doesn't carry himself like an unselfish, mature, team guy. He seems much more entitled, selfish, chip-and-his-shoulders-but-not-in-the-good-way.

Teammates just don't look happy playing with him.

The talent is undeniable, but if there is anything we learned from Kyrie, it's that you have to have the right kind of guy, not just the right level of talent.
TP.
That is fan lore right there.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2019, 11:29:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Amen.

The Celts may not have a realistic chance of winning a title with the current formula (a bunch of versatile guys who play hard and like each other), but I would rather try to do it that way than attempt to build around a malcontent who doesn't "get it."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2019, 11:31:16 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

I'd trade Tatum, Smart and picks for KAT, he's a truly transcendent big man talent. But if we somehow don't need to give up Tatum/Brown for KAT I'd be happy to trade Smart plus filler like Theis/Hayward and every pick/prospect we have.

Tatum, Smart, and picks for KAT is good for the Celts, not for the Wolves.
It will be the T-Wolves that will become a team of wings and no big man.
But if the Wolves called Ainge and said we want Tatum, Smart, and picks for KAT, no doubt Ainge will pull trigger instantly.

I'm a big Tatum fan, but if that's the offer then I would also agree as it would greatly benefit the Celts.

But I just don't think that's a realistic scenario.
That's a trade that only benefits the Celtics.
Wolves will be back to where they were a few years ago.

« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2019, 11:33:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Tatum, Smart, and picks for KAT is good for the Celts, not for the Wolves.
It will be the T-Wolves that will become a team of wings and no big man.
But if the Wolves called Ainge and said we want Tatum, Smart, and picks for KAT, no doubt Ainge will pull trigger instantly.

I'm a big Tatum fan, but if that's the offer then I would also agree as it would greatly benefit the Celts.

But I just don't think that's a realistic scenario.
That's a trade that only benefits the Celtics.
Wolves will be back to where they were a few years ago.

Reposting because I agree.

Let's not hijack the Memphis Grizzlies thread, even though it started to go off the rails when someone suggested we trade the pick for Myles Turner.
I agree. I think the 4 for 1 big man deal idea has hijacked enough threads. Let's stick to this being about the Memphis team and their results this year

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2019, 11:39:10 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is a pick watch thread, not a trade idea thread.   Start a new thread for that.  Get back on track.  We're not going off the rails in another thread like we did the other night in the game thread.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Where do I sign up for KAT?

Imagining KAT in the same division as Embiid would be epic and ESPN would be all over it.

Im also not hesitating a Tatum , Memphis pick plus fillers for KAT deal...but id hold on to Smart, the guy is just going to win us a playoff series just with his d...Imagine Smart and Brown all over Lebron and Kat neutralizing AD...sign me up.

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2019, 12:30:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Speaking of the Grizz, I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but it's disappointing to see the Jaren Jackson has had a slow, even bad, start to the year.

Thought he was a breakout candidate.  I suppose you have to chalk a lot of that up to playing with so many young players, in particular a rookie point guard.

To some extent it shouldn't be surprising that a young big man is a lot less productive playing alongside a rookie high-usage point guard than he did playing with Mike Conley.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2019, 01:04:13 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Speaking of the Grizz, I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but it's disappointing to see the Jaren Jackson has had a slow, even bad, start to the year.

Thought he was a breakout candidate.  I suppose you have to chalk a lot of that up to playing with so many young players, in particular a rookie point guard.

To some extent it shouldn't be surprising that a young big man is a lot less productive playing alongside a rookie high-usage point guard than he did playing with Mike Conley.

From what I've seen, he's mainly just not hitting shots right now. I've always been dubious about his real upside because of his offensive feel and low shot release, but I think you'll see his numbers creep up throughout the year.

« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2019, 01:10:47 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
Is the general consensus that we don't want this pick to convey this year because it's a weak draft?

« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2019, 01:22:18 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
From what I've seen, he's mainly just not hitting shots right now. I've always been dubious about his real upside because of his offensive feel and low shot release, but I think you'll see his numbers creep up throughout the year.

I agree.

JJJ is still getting in foul trouble too early and often
Some fouls are silly ones too, same problem last year

« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2019, 01:27:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

The moment you saw Memphis had decided to start Jonas Valanciunas at center instead of Jaren Jackson + had decided to try and force Jaren Jackson into being a PF = you just knew things were being stacked against him.

I hate seeing teams hurt their own players. Especially when those players are so talented and are their future.

Jaren Jackson is a center. Not a PF. He has less advantages at PF. He has to chase smaller quicker guys around all the time. He has to play on the perimeter more often to space the floor and gets fewer easy baskets on rolls / cuts to the rim. He gets defended by quicker players who are adept at covering the three point line decreasing the value of his outside shooting.

Like I said, they are stacking the deck against him.

Terrible management. Terrible coaching.

Hurting his development.