Author Topic: PGA and LIV merger  (Read 3172 times)

PGA and LIV merger
« on: June 06, 2023, 12:51:13 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Apparently the Saudis got tired of losing money through their LIV Golf Tour and basically have bought the PGA. Talk about failing upwards

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/37805785/pga-tour-liv-golf-dp-world-tour-announce-merger

Re: PGA and LIV merger
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 12:59:27 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
All professional sports organizations are no different. Money trumps loyalty. The PGA spent 2 years harvesting leaders like Mclroy, Thomas, Spieth, etc. putting them in front of microphones bashing LIV. These guys turned down 100s of millions of dollars to stay. Now the PGA takes LIVs money? It's despicable.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 01:12:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Hilarious.

PGA is just as corrupt btw, maybe not as obvious as LIV but their true colors were shown here. The biggest winners are the golfers who moved to LIV and got A TON of money from that rather than staying with PGA
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 01:13:47 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
All professional sports organizations are no different. Money trumps loyalty. The PGA spent 2 years harvesting leaders like Mclroy, Thomas, Spieth, etc. putting them in front of microphones bashing LIV. These guys turned down 100s of millions of dollars to stay. Now the PGA takes LIVs money? It's despicable.

Yeah. It's going to be very awkward since so many of the players criticized the Saudis.  And this is a league that has historically had many problems with the perception of sexism etc.  And now they have the most sexist country in the world running their sport.  Though in their defense, in recent years the saudis have made some significant reforms.

MBS is a dictator, but he seems intent on bringing the Kingdom out of its ultra-conservative shell.

But this has to be one of the wildest sports stories in recent memory.

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 01:14:51 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
Hilarious.

PGA is just as corrupt btw, maybe not as obvious as LIV but their true colors were shown here. The biggest winners are the golfers who moved to LIV and got A TON of money from that rather than staying with PGA

There are reports that Tiger Woods was offered $900 million to defect

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 01:50:54 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Hilarious.

Would not be surprised. I mean, look at what soccer players are getting. Messi got offered almost $400 mil a year to go play in the Saudi League. Ronaldo and Benzema got ludicrous paydays as well. They have so much money they honestly don’t know what to do with it.

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 02:20:04 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Hilarious.

I feel Tiger and Rory could have taken the LIV money and then bought the PGA themselves instead of the Saudis.

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 05:20:09 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Horrible move by the PGA.

There were two main factors at play: sports washing and the competitive landscape of the top golfers in the world. Saudi Arabia is looking to kick its reputation by spending money, not improving human rights. The LIV players talk about a better work/life balance, but we know its all about that bag of cash granted by blood money.

Jay Monahan was more interested in his weakened product than civic duties. In one fell swoop, we are reminded that many leaders lack a moral compass needed to effectively run an organization.

The PGA should have ignored the LIV golfers while watching the league die. This move has legitimized the Saudi case for sports washing.

I'm a golfer and watch golf, but its going to be hard for me to accept that the PGA is willing to openly help the Saudi kingdom in their nefarious plan.

9/11: Never Forget*

*Unless, of course, there's a lot of money to be had.

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 05:27:22 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Horrible move by the PGA.

There were two main factors at play: sports washing and the competitive landscape of the top golfers in the world. Saudi Arabia is looking to kick its reputation by spending money, not improving human rights. The LIV players talk about a better work/life balance, but we know its all about that bag of cash granted by blood money.

Jay Monahan was more interested in his weakened product than civic duties. In one fell swoop, we are reminded that many leaders lack a moral compass needed to effectively run an organization.

The PGA should have ignored the LIV golfers while watching the league die. This move has legitimized the Saudi case for sports washing.

I'm a golfer and watch golf, but its going to be hard for me to accept that the PGA is willing to openly help the Saudi kingdom in their nefarious plan.

9/11: Never Forget*

*Unless, of course, there's a lot of money to be had.

I’m with you.  This year I actually watched the PGA because of the breakup.  I’m done again.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2023, 01:21:33 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
Jon Rahm is moving to LIV after they gave him a deal he couldn't refuse - $300 million. What MBS wants, MBS gets.

For more than a year, Rahm had voiced his dislike of LIV Golf's 54-hole tournaments, no cuts and shotgun starts, saying he preferred to remain with the PGA Tour, where legends such as Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer and Tiger Woods had played before him.

In the end, Rahm, a 29-year-old native of Spain, couldn't pass up a multiyear contract that is worth more than $300 million, according to sources, and includes partial ownership of his new LIV Golf team. Sources told ESPN that LIV Golf is recruiting other PGA Tour players to join Rahm's new team; he declined to name whom they might be.

"This decision was for many reasons what I thought was best for me," Rahm said. "Don't get me wrong, it's a great deal. I had a really good offer in front of me and it's one of the reasons why I took it, right? They really put me in a position where I had to think about it and I did."

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/39063974/sources-masters-champ-jon-rahm-leaving-pga-tour-liv-golf

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2023, 05:40:09 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Like GreenBB13 pointed out, this is sportswashing: attempting to circumvent the previous icky associations most people have of Saudi Arabia - icky associations that come from small things like their horrific human rights record and a habit of sending thugs to foreign countries to brutally murder their critics - by throwing absolute shed-loads of money at people, institutions, and leagues that people like.

Saudi is, and has been, desperate to expand their influence culturally and economically because they see the writing on the wall for the future of their oil exports, so they can throw essentially unlimited amounts of money at this project. Sadly, but understandably, it seems to be working. I can't say I'd say no to a $300M payout.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.