Author Topic: Delonte West - former NBA star, 32, who was seen wandering a Jack In The Box...  (Read 6727 times)

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'll be rooting for Delonte to get his life in order. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
That is a top 5 saddest Celtics related story I have ever seen. 

Delonte....we all believe in you. You can beat this thing.

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Calling West a star is a bit of a stretch, guy spent 8 years in the league when the average NBA career is just under 5
http://www.rsvlts.com/2013/07/22/longest-sports-careers/
So he had a fair run at it all things considered.

From a personal perspective hopefully he can find some piece of mind and live and long a fruitful life regardless if the basketball side of it is over or not.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
This is tragic. I loved Delonte West when he was a Celtic. Great 3-and-D role player. Lots of hustle and heart on the court.

It's completely disgusting that a person could make the kind of money that he did, clearly need mental support, and nobody around him can get him the help he obviously needs. I'm really sad about this, not going to lie.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Someone needs to help Delonte West
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 10:46:20 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
http://nypost.com/2016/02/21/someone-needs-to-help-delonte-west/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPFacebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

You rarely see the spiral. You see all-world athletes in their prime climb the ladder of the world, and then they disappear from the public eye with a long, long way to fall.

It seems as if Delonte West is the latest cautionary tale, an eight-year NBA career finished since 2012, and only surfacing now looking like a shell of himself.

The 32-year-old, who earned more than $16 million in stints with Boston, Seattle, Cleveland and Dallas, was spotted ambling around a Jack In The Box parking lot in Houston earlier this week, reportedly wearing a hospital robe and no shoes.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
This is tragic. I loved Delonte West when he was a Celtic. Great 3-and-D role player. Lots of hustle and heart on the court.

It's completely disgusting that a person could make the kind of money that he did, clearly need mental support, and nobody around him can get him the help he obviously needs. I'm really sad about this, not going to lie.

That's what really bothers me about this. The guy made a lot of money and had a lot of people around him as most NBA players do, yet no one on any of the teams he played for or any of the friends, agents, etc got him the help he needs. I often get the sense that mental health care is often overlooked/undervalued in the NBA. Most guys just get labeled as trouble makers or whack jobs and get used by everyone and tossed aside , when in reality they need professional help. There seems to be a general stigma in the NBA that players with mental issues are not worth it and are to be avoided , with no clear programs to help them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:00:07 PM by hpantazo »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Watch someone sign delonte to a 10 day contract after this

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I often get the sense that mental health care is often overlooked/undervalued in the United States.

FIFY
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I often get the sense that mental health care is often overlooked/undervalued in the world.

FIFY

FTFY

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Watch someone sign delonte to a 10 day contract after this

I want to sign Sheed to take Lees place .   

Having West around us like playing with a sharp knife.

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
The stigma that still surrounds mental illness in this country in 2016 is sad...

Such a stigma prevents people from getting the help they need and creates an environment of shame. Delonte should still be in the league at 32... It's just sad

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Are we sure he hadn't just escaped from being locked inside a dehumanizing, unhelpful, and ironically crazier-making place?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Delonte West found wandering streets disorientated
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 05:32:46 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Delonte West found wandering around Houston without shoes and seems to be drunk or on something he's the report http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gr-OhhJfnM/

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

That's what really bothers me about this. The guy made a lot of money and had a lot of people around him as most NBA players do, yet no one on any of the teams he played for or any of the friends, agents, etc got him the help he needs. I often get the sense that mental health care is often overlooked/undervalued in the NBA. Most guys just get labeled as trouble makers or whack jobs and get used by everyone and tossed aside , when in reality they need professional help. There seems to be a general stigma in the NBA that players with mental issues are not worth it and are to be avoided , with no clear programs to help them.

In fairness to whomever, we really don't know what efforts have been made along the way to help him.   We do know that mental health issues have been part of the Delonte West story for a long time.  At one point there were reports that he has bipolar disorder.  If that's the case it's one of the most difficult illnesses to treat for a host of reasons. The hope is that he is able to get/use the help he needs before it destroys the remainder of his life. 

What about some creative ideas as to what we could do as fans from Cblog that appreciated him and care about him?