Author Topic: Per Woj: Danny is active on the phones.....  (Read 35531 times)

Re: Per Woj: Danny is active on the phones.....
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2014, 11:14:15 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I would say yes to Rondo being a top 30 player (though barely).

If you go through a list of names you might feel differently.

Lowry
DeRozan
Wall
Beal
Horford
Millsap
Rose
Noah
Butler
James
Love
Irving
Bosh
Curry
Thompson
M Gasol
Conley
Harden
Howard
Aldridge
Lillard
Griffin
Paul
Leonard
Parker
Duncan
Dirk
Davis
Durant
Westbrook
Ibaka

That's over 30 names and those are only from the 16 current playoff teams, plus OKC.

Stop, lol ;D.  Rondo isn't better than Ibaka? :o ::)  Wow.  Millsap and Horford aren't top 30 players, either, imo.  Is this just your opinion, or did you get it from somewhere?  I mean, Jimmy Butler - really?  Yeah, he's having a breakout year, but he's not in the top 30.  I guess that we'll just have to agree to disagree on this, which is fine.  Where is Paul George, btw?

Read the bolded section. Also, if you think that Rondo today, not from 2012, is better than Millsap, Horford, Butler, and Ibaka I'm not sure what to say.

It's actually the other way around, but whatever.  You guys really have no concept of what we have in Rondo, do you?  I feel sorry for you, quite honestly.

I guess I don't then. I see a great passer, a good rebounder for his position, with little to no offensive game, a complete liability at the FT line to a laughable degree, a player that struggles late in games, who brings inconsistent efforts on a game to game basis, who fails to move his feet defensively (there's the effort thing again), and who's poor at fighting through/getting around picks (high pick and roll being a staple of every offense). What do you see? What is the concept that we're blinded to yet you're one of the lucky ones that sees it?

Eh we see different things in each players and are often blinded by our biases.

While I agree with you on that point, I just don't understand the hatred around here for easily the most unique player in the game, in addition to probably being the most intelligent one, as well.  He can dominate a game without ever scoring a point or taking a shot, on both ends, and he makes guys better.  Do you know how rare that is?  I guess all I'm trying to say is that you should enjoy him while you still can.

I would say LBJ/Dirk still hold the title of most unique player in the game.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2014, 11:43:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If Sullinger gets traded in the near future in a deal similar to this he has nobody to blame but himself.

Faried seems like a man hell bent on making the most of limited talents. Sully seems intent on throwing his away.

TP

Or, we could keep Sullinger and get Roscoe Smith from the d-league.  Faried's rebounding numbers have been quite sub par this year (6.6 - really?).  Plus, I'd like to think that we could get a better return for Sully, but I'm likely dillusional, haha

Faried is probably better regarded because of the USA basketball.   Both are tweeners, though.  Farried is a better athlete but one could argue Sully is more skilled.   Neither are ideal to build around as one lack protypical size and length and can't shoot and the other can not run or jump and struggles against length.

« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2014, 12:27:49 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
If Sullinger gets traded in the near future in a deal similar to this he has nobody to blame but himself.

Faried seems like a man hell bent on making the most of limited talents. Sully seems intent on throwing his away.

TP

Or, we could keep Sullinger and get Roscoe Smith from the d-league.  Faried's rebounding numbers have been quite sub par this year (6.6 - really?).  Plus, I'd like to think that we could get a better return for Sully, but I'm likely dillusional, haha

Faried is probably better regarded because of the USA basketball.   Both are tweeners, though.  Farried is a better athlete but one could argue Sully is more skilled.   Neither are ideal to build around as one lack protypical size and length and can't shoot and the other can not run or jump and struggles against length.

I agree that if there's any separation between Faried and Sully, it's almost negligible, but I have to disagree with your physical characterizations of each player. Faried has a standing reach of 9'0" according to DraftExpress. While he lacks height, it certainly doesn't show in his ability to rebound or block shots, which I attribute to his phenomenal length and athletic ability.

Though this is just my biased observation, I don't see what you see in Sully's performance against lengthy defenders. I will give you last night against Noel as Sully played outside of himself and tried to throw down a monster slam against one of the league's best shot-blockers. But when correctly utilizing his abilities, Sullinger can use his strength and upper width to create separation and get a shot off, whether it be a fade-away on the block or a strong move to the hoop. Noel, Dwight Howard, Hibbert, etc. will get their blocks. I haven't noticed Sully struggling against them more than any other PF has.

I've been meaning to ask you this as someone who is (sometimes unfairly) critical of Sully:

a) What do you think of saying Sully's ceiling is Luis Scola 2.0 (better shooter, better defender)?

b) Is it possible that Sully gameplanned weight/condition wise on what he saw last season (slower pace, being asked to play center) vs. what he expected this season? While Sully is still seeing a lot of time at center on both ends of the floor, the Celtics have upped their pace by almost five possessions per 48 minutes, good for second in the league (vs. 17th last season). Could Sully have prioritized strength and upper body shape over conditioning and cardio in an effort to combat bruising center play whilst underestimating the toll of a run-n-gun system has on a player's body?

« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2014, 12:31:20 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Lowry
DeRozan
Wall
Beal
Horford
Millsap
Rose
Noah
Butler
James
Love
Irving
Bosh
Curry
Thompson
M Gasol
Conley
Harden
Howard
Aldridge
Lillard
Griffin
Paul
Leonard
Parker
Duncan
Dirk
Davis
Durant
Westbrook
Ibaka

That's over 30 names and those are only from the 16 current playoff teams, plus OKC.

Stop, lol ;D.  Rondo isn't better than Ibaka? :o ::)  Wow.  Millsap and Horford aren't top 30 players, either, imo.  Is this just your opinion, or did you get it from somewhere?  I mean, Jimmy Butler - really?  Yeah, he's having a breakout year, but he's not in the top 30.  I guess that we'll just have to agree to disagree on this, which is fine.  Where are Paul George and Demarcus Cousins, btw, not to mention Carmelo Anthony?  I'm not a Melo fan, but that's more than a little ridiculous, imo.
Rondo isn't a top 30 player.  He's a top 50 player at this point. 

« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2014, 01:06:09 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
LBJ
KD
A. Davis
CP3
Stephen Curry
Paul George
DeMarcus Cousins
Russell Westbrook
James Harden
Carmelo Anthony

Now it's gonna be out of order:

Al Jefferson
J. Noah
K. Love
K. Irving
Dirk Nowitzski
Klay Thompson
Dwight Howard
Blake Griffin
Kobe Bryant
Marc Gasol
Chris Bosh
Serge Ibaka
Goran Dragic
LaMarcus Aldridge
Damian Lillard
Tim Duncan
Tony Parker
Kawhi Leonard
Kyle Lowry
John Wall

That's 30. Here are more players I believe are better than Rondo at the moment (again, out of order):

Paul Millsap
Al Horford
Joe Johnson
Derrick Rose (if he proves he can stay healthy he will skyrocket up this list)
Jimmy Butler
Monta Ellis
Andre Drummond
DeAndre Jordan
Zach Randolph
Mike Conley, Jr.
Nikola Vucevic
Eric Bledsoe
Rudy Gay
Manu Ginobili
DeMar DeRozan
Bradley Beal

As I went through the list of teams I also noted guys who I believe are in Rondo's value neighborhood for comparison.

Brook Lopez
Chandler Parsons
K. Faried
G. Monroe
Roy Hibbert
Dwyane Wade
Tobias Harris
Derrick Favors

Some things such as age, injury history and positional value were factored in slightly, but the primary factor was talent. Reputation was considered but some Cs fans are stubborn to admit that Rondo hasn't been effective for about two years now. It may not be fair that Rondo has become a forgotten talent (though he's had about 50 games to show he still has it post-injury and has failed to do so), but if Derrick Rose can fall from top 5 player status to top 40 player status, Rondo can fall from top 12-15 player status to top 50 (maybe) player status.

« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2014, 01:32:57 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Basketball stats lie. Put him on a different team, and he's a different player. His match with our squad couldn't be worse... and he is still (albeit, sporadically) putting up numbers/triple doubles. This just isn't the place for him anymore. He's a crafty and super talented distributor to elite scorers.
I'd move Butler up into that second tier, too. He's legit. I think about him before bedtime.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2014, 01:50:51 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Basketball stats lie. Put him on a different team, and he's a different player. His match with our squad couldn't be worse... and he is still (albeit, sporadically) putting up numbers/triple doubles. This just isn't the place for him anymore. He's a crafty and super talented distributor to elite scorers.
I'd move Butler up into that second tier, too. He's legit. I think about him before bedtime.

« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2014, 02:06:46 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Lowry
DeRozan
Wall
Beal
Horford
Millsap
Rose
Noah
Butler
James
Love
Irving
Bosh
Curry
Thompson
M Gasol
Conley
Harden
Howard
Aldridge
Lillard
Griffin
Paul
Leonard
Parker
Duncan
Dirk
Davis
Durant
Westbrook
Ibaka

Stop, lol ;D.  Rondo isn't better than Ibaka? :o ::)  Wow.  Millsap and Horford aren't top 30 players, either, imo.  Is this just your opinion, or did you get it from somewhere?  I mean, Jimmy Butler - really?  Yeah, he's having a breakout year, but he's not in the top 30.  I guess that we'll just have to agree to disagree on this, which is fine.  Where are Paul George and Demarcus Cousins, btw, not to mention Carmelo Anthony?  I'm not a Melo fan, but that's more than a little ridiculous, imo.
Rondo isn't a top 30 player.  He's a top 50 player at this point.

WOW :o.

« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2014, 02:14:11 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I think part of the reason our opinion of Rondo is so low right now is that he's not really trying. He strikes me as the kind of personality who would find no motivation whatsoever in a futile season like this. I don't think he's fundamentally finished as an elite PG like Deron Williams for example.

Put him on a contending team and I think he's easily a top 30 player.

An amicable divorce is best for both parties really.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2014, 02:23:11 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
LBJ
KD
A. Davis
CP3
Stephen Curry
Paul George
DeMarcus Cousins
Russell Westbrook
James Harden
Carmelo Anthony

Al Jefferson
J. Noah
K. Love
K. Irving
Dirk Nowitzski
Klay Thompson
Dwight Howard
Blake Griffin
Kobe Bryant
Marc Gasol
Chris Bosh
Serge Ibaka
Goran Dragic
LaMarcus Aldridge
Damian Lillard
Tim Duncan
Tony Parker
Kawhi Leonard
Kyle Lowry
John Wall

That's 30. Here are more players I believe are better than Rondo at the moment (again, out of order):

Paul Millsap
Al Horford
Joe Johnson
Jimmy Butler
Monta Ellis
Andre Drummond
DeAndre Jordan
Zach Randolph
Mike Conley, Jr.
Nikola Vucevic
Eric Bledsoe
Rudy Gay
Manu Ginobili
DeMar DeRozan
Bradley Beal

As I went through the list of teams I also noted guys who I believe are in Rondo's value neighborhood for comparison.

Brook Lopez
Chandler Parsons
K. Faried
G. Monroe
Roy Hibbert
Dwyane Wade
Tobias Harris
Derrick Favors

Some things such as age, injury history and positional value were factored in slightly, but the primary factor was talent. Reputation was considered but some Cs fans are stubborn to admit that Rondo hasn't been effective for about two years now. It may not be fair that Rondo has become a forgotten talent (though he's had about 50 games to show he still has it post-injury and has failed to do so), but if Derrick Rose can fall from top 5 player status to top 40 player status, Rondo can fall from top 12-15 player status to top 50 (maybe) player status.

What do you call 'being effective,' then?  Dude, I'm sorry, but I just have so many issues with this list.  There's no way in hell that Lowry, Drummond, Horford, Millsap, Kobe (who is really just a chucker at this point, even more than usual, lol ;D), Dragic, Ibaka, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Rudy Gay, Bledsoe (who I like a lot, but his knees won't hold up.), Deandre Jordan, Monta Ellis, Ginobili (who is way passed his prime), Duncan (again, way passed his prime.  If Pop asked him to do what KG is being asked to do by having to create his own shot at 37, his numbers would be worse than Garnett's.  He was a great player, I'll give you that, but his team and coach hide a lot of his deficiencies, imo.  Good ahead, say I'm crazy.  I'll wait ;D.), Tony Parker, Bradley Beal, John Wall, Big Al, Zach Randolph, Conley, Kawhi Leonard, Dirk (who, like Duncan, is no longer a top 30 player.  Sorry.), Derozan (is becoming a star, but he's not there yet.), Nikola Vucevic, Joe Johnson, and Noah are even on Rondo's level, imo.  I like how Deron Williams isn't even on any list here, btw, lol.  I guess that we're just going to have to agree to disagree, and that's okay :), it's just that everyone seems to be treating Rondo like a washed-up has-been who needs to be put out to pasture, and I think that that's ridiculous. 

« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2014, 02:25:46 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I think part of the reason our opinion of Rondo is so low right now is that he's not really trying. He strikes me as the kind of personality who would find no motivation whatsoever in a futile season like this. I don't think he's fundamentally finished as an elite PG like Deron Williams for example.

Put him on a contending team and I think he's easily a top 30 player.

An amicable divorce is best for both parties really.

Oh, I resigned myself to the fact that he won't be here much longer quite some time ago - not with Ainge at the helm.

« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2014, 02:55:28 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
LBJ
KD
A. Davis
CP3
Stephen Curry
Paul George
DeMarcus Cousins
Russell Westbrook
James Harden
Carmelo Anthony

Al Jefferson
J. Noah
K. Love
K. Irving
Dirk Nowitzski
Klay Thompson
Dwight Howard
Blake Griffin
Kobe Bryant
Marc Gasol
Chris Bosh
Serge Ibaka
Goran Dragic
LaMarcus Aldridge
Damian Lillard
Tim Duncan
Tony Parker
Kawhi Leonard
Kyle Lowry
John Wall

Paul Millsap
Al Horford
Joe Johnson
Jimmy Butler
Monta Ellis
Andre Drummond
DeAndre Jordan
Zach Randolph
Mike Conley, Jr.
Nikola Vucevic
Eric Bledsoe
Rudy Gay
Manu Ginobili
DeMar DeRozan
Bradley Beal

Brook Lopez
Chandler Parsons
K. Faried
G. Monroe
Roy Hibbert
Dwyane Wade
Tobias Harris
Derrick Favors

What do you call 'being effective,' then?  Dude, I'm sorry, but I just have so many issues with this list.  There's no way in hell that Lowry, Drummond, Horford, Millsap, Kobe (who is really just a chucker at this point, even more than usual, lol ;D), Dragic, Ibaka, Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Jimmy Butler, Rudy Gay, Bledsoe (who I like a lot, but his knees won't hold up.), Deandre Jordan, Monta Ellis, Ginobili (who is way passed his prime), Duncan (again, way passed his prime.  If Pop asked him to do what KG is being asked to do by having to create his own shot at 37, his numbers would be worse than Garnett's.  He was a great player, I'll give you that, but his team and coach hide a lot of his deficiencies, imo.  Good ahead, say I'm crazy.  I'll wait ;D.), Tony Parker, Bradley Beal, John Wall, Big Al, Zach Randolph, Conley, Kawhi Leonard, Dirk (who, like Duncan, is no longer a top 30 player.  Sorry.), Derozan (is becoming a star, but he's not there yet.), Nikola Vucevic, Joe Johnson, and Noah are even on Rondo's level, imo.  I like how Deron Williams isn't even on any list here, btw, lol.  I guess that we're just going to have to agree to disagree, and that's okay :), it's just that everyone seems to be treating Rondo like a washed-up has-been who needs to be put out to pasture, and I think that that's ridiculous.

I meant to put D-Will on the list of guys who I think are within Rondo's tier of players.

Any time the pro- and anti-Rondo camps spar over his value and impact, the pro-Rondo camp wonders aloud how CP3 could be ranked higher than Rondo when CP3 hasn't won a championship but Rondo has (in his second season, as the fourth best player).

If Rondo won Finals MVP on what peak LBJ called the greatest team he had ever played against (Kawhi Leonard on SAS), half of the posters on this forum would sculpt a massive statue of Rondo's face, blow up a quarter of Mt. Rushmore and then hold off the FBI with a fury that would make Spartan warriors proud as they replaced the crater with Almighty Rondo.

(Maybe that was an exaggeration.  ;D)

It'd take way too long to challenge you on every objection you just raised, but here's one that really boggles my mind: you really don't think Steph Curry is better than Rondo at this point?

« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2014, 03:00:15 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
LBJ
KD
A. Davis
CP3
Stephen Curry
Paul George
DeMarcus Cousins
Russell Westbrook
James Harden
Carmelo Anthony

Al Jefferson
J. Noah
K. Love
K. Irving
Dirk Nowitzski
Klay Thompson
Dwight Howard
Blake Griffin
Kobe Bryant
Marc Gasol
Chris Bosh
Serge Ibaka
Goran Dragic
LaMarcus Aldridge
Damian Lillard
Tim Duncan
Tony Parker
Kawhi Leonard
Kyle Lowry
John Wall

Paul Millsap
Al Horford
Joe Johnson
Jimmy Butler
Monta Ellis
Andre Drummond
DeAndre Jordan
Zach Randolph
Mike Conley, Jr.
Nikola Vucevic
Eric Bledsoe
Rudy Gay
Manu Ginobili
DeMar DeRozan
Bradley Beal

Brook Lopez
Chandler Parsons
K. Faried
G. Monroe
Roy Hibbert
Dwyane Wade
Tobias Harris
Derrick Favors

I meant to put D-Will on the list of guys who I think are within Rondo's tier of players.

Any time the pro- and anti-Rondo camps spar over his value and impact, the pro-Rondo camp wonders aloud how CP3 could be ranked higher than Rondo when CP3 hasn't won a championship but Rondo has (in his second season, as the fourth best player).

If Rondo won Finals MVP on what peak LBJ called the greatest team he had ever played against (Kawhi Leonard on SAS), half of the posters on this forum would sculpt a massive statue of Rondo's face, blow up a quarter of Mt. Rushmore and then hold off the FBI with a fury that would make Spartan warriors proud as they replaced the crater with Almighty Rondo.

It'd take way too long to challenge you on every objection you just raised, but here's one that really boggles my mind: you really don't think Steph Curry is better than Rondo at this point?

No, because he's a me-first, trigger-happy point guard who is a horrible defender who also doesn't make guys better, not to mention that he's been AB-like in the durability department, lol ;D.  Andrew Bogut is the best passer on that team, followed by David Lee, and then Curry, imo.  The only thing that he can do better than Rondo is shoot.

« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2014, 03:11:36 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
LBJ
KD
A. Davis
CP3
Stephen Curry
Paul George
DeMarcus Cousins
Russell Westbrook
James Harden
Carmelo Anthony

Al Jefferson
J. Noah
K. Love
K. Irving
Dirk Nowitzski
Klay Thompson
Dwight Howard
Blake Griffin
Kobe Bryant
Marc Gasol
Chris Bosh
Serge Ibaka
Goran Dragic
LaMarcus Aldridge
Damian Lillard
Tim Duncan
Tony Parker
Kawhi Leonard
Kyle Lowry
John Wall

Paul Millsap
Al Horford
Joe Johnson
Jimmy Butler
Monta Ellis
Andre Drummond
DeAndre Jordan
Zach Randolph
Mike Conley, Jr.
Nikola Vucevic
Eric Bledsoe
Rudy Gay
Manu Ginobili
DeMar DeRozan
Bradley Beal

Brook Lopez
Chandler Parsons
K. Faried
G. Monroe
Roy Hibbert
Dwyane Wade
Tobias Harris
Derrick Favors

No, because he's a me-first, trigger-happy point guard who is a horrible defender who also doesn't make guys better, not to mention that he's been AB-like in the durability department, lol ;D.  Andrew Bogut is the best passer on that team, followed by David Lee, and then Curry, imo.  The only thing that he can do better than Rondo is shoot.

Last year Curry averaged 8.5 apg. This year he averaged 7.7 apg. Why is it that according to many on this site, any PG ranked higher than Rondo must have a higher assist average, but Rondo can be ranked ahead of guys who average 15 more points than he does on far more efficient shooting percentages? And why does doing so make them me-first players?

Curry may shoot a lot of shots, but he also makes plenty of them. Saying that the only thing he can do better than Rondo is shoot is both false and an understatement even if true. He's the filet mignon of shooting while Rondo is the Hamburger Helper. Curry's shot above 45% in every year of his career and this season he's shooting a scorching 49% despite shooting around 24 times a game. He's a career 44% three-point shooter (absolutely insane given how many he takes) and 90% free-throw shooter.

Curry crushes Rondo in almost every advanced statistic, offensive and defensive. The Warriors have been a playoff team for a few years now and are currently dominating an intimidating Western Conference with Curry as their best player by a large margin. If that doesn't indicate that he makes his team better, I'm wondering what would indicate that Rondo makes his team better.

For the last three years or so Curry's defensive analytics are well within Rondo's range and he continues to grow on that end of the floor.

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2014, 03:13:57 AM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Are you in love with Rondo Beat LA?  I think he's already married.   ;D