Author Topic: We get picks #16, #28, #33 and #45.  (Read 55447 times)

NBA Draft.Net Celtics Team Needs
« Reply #195 on: June 11, 2015, 10:22:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Boston Celtics

Needs: Three point shooting, Small forward
Picks: 16, 28, 33, 45

The Celtics find themselves with solid point guard play now that they have a combination of Isaiah Thomas, who played very well after joining the team last season, and Marcus Smart, who projects to become a quality point guard in the league in time. Sure, the Celtics could use an infusion of talent, but Brad Stevens has done a terrific job with this team. With Avery Bradley holding down the opponent's top perimeter threat, Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk developing down low, and draft picks to add to the equation, the Celtics rebuilding plans seem to be on track. Moving on from the Pierce/Rondo/ Allen/ Garnett days could have easily been a long process, but Boston appears to be in pretty good shape moving forward, even if it's due in large part to a weak Eastern Conference.

With the 16th and 28th picks in the draft, Boston will have some options. It's important for them to find some outside shooting, as they were towards the bottom of the league last season in that department. They could also look to strengthen their inside presence with one of their picks. If Kelly Oubre is still on the board, they could look to grab him. They took James Young in the first round last year, who shares some of the same skills, but could also play alongside him. Justin Anderson could also be a viable option for them if they elect to go with a wing with their top pick. If they want a big man, they will likely look to grab somebody such as Bobby Portis or Montrezl Harrell.
from NBA Draft.net

Not sure how I fell about this. They cover all the bases. Just about every kind of prospect is mentioned

Ive been up and down on Kelly. His physical tools and 3 pt stroke are a tantalizing combination but he struggles in a lot of important areas.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Re: We get picks #16, #28, #33 and #45.
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
http://www.thescore.com/news/780964

So a bunch of big international second rounders just pulled out (30 players in total!), including George Lucas de Palma and Aleksandar Vezenkov, because they did the math and realized that next year's draft is going to be a lot weaker.  Our second round picks just got a lot less valuable.  At least Guillermo Hernangomez stayed in, although I really doubt Ainge will pick him

« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2015, 04:03:03 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

So a bunch of big international second rounders just pulled out (30 players in total!), including George Lucas de Palma and Aleksandar Vezenkov, because they did the math and realized that next year's draft is going to be a lot weaker.  Our second round picks just got a lot less valuable.  At least Guillermo Hernangomez stayed in, although I really doubt Ainge will pick him

Maybe 45, but that pick isn't very valuable anyways. That's just about in "Traded for Cash considerations" territory. I think 33 still holds solid value. The level of prospect available, both domestic and foreign, is pretty even from the early 20's through the start of the 2nd round is pretty similar. A lot of times, especially to a team like Miami or OKC, that 33 pick is more valuable than 28 because if a guy with good talent and red flags is available there (think Upshaw), the contract structure is better than if they were picked in the 1st.

The way it sits not after the recent trades, I think Sacto at 6, Charlotte at 8, Miami at 10 and Utah at 12 are our best trade-up options. At least two, if not three or all four picks are going to have to be involved if we do go that route. I think Ainge is trying to do it without giving up anyone on our current roster, but if the right guy falls and/or the right deal presents itself I think it's quite possible we see someone like Sully, AB, Young or KO go as part of a package.

If you asked me today, I would say just on my gut that it'll be Towns, Russell, Okafor, Mudiay, Porzingas, Lyles, Mario, Winslow, Booker, Johnson, Cauley-Stein, Turner, Kaminsky, Payne and Portis at 15. Of course I'm deff wrong, but I can see that scenario play out. That would put us in range of Winslow, Johnson, WCS and Turner. The reason we keep hearing about us moving up is because Ainge realizes that not only do we have the ammo to do it and a good young team that needs pieces, but this is a pretty deep draft where guys are flying up and down the board and an opportunity will likely present itself for us to move up and grab a good prospect for a reasonable rate. As an added bonus, most of the guys in our trade-up range are guys who fill a need. Think about this..

We could make a really good package for Sacto that would allow them multiple picks AND players that will help then make a playoff run this year. Plus, they have bad contracts they want out of, which we have the cap space to deal with. What about..

BOS: Kelly Olynyk, Evan Turner, #16 and #28.
SAC: #6, Jason Thompson (Or Carl Landry)
BOS selects Justise Winslow at #6, Robert Upshaw at #33

That could work for both sides. Charlotte seems likely as our target trade partner right now. They're willing to move back, we have guys that can fill needs they have, and their pick at 9 is almost sure to catch one of the guys we seem to rate highly falling down. So let's say..

BOS: Tyler Zeller, #16 and #33
CHA: #9
BOS selects Willie Cauley Stein. Trades 28, 45 and the 16 MIA 2nd to CLE for #24, selects Justin Anderson.

Assuming they've talked about the idea of trading back with the C's internally, I'm sure Charlotte has entertained the idea of asking for Zeller. Zeller played really well for us this season and proved himself to be a quality NBA big man. He's beloved in the Carolina's for what he did on those UNC teams, his brother already plays there, and he would be great insurance for Jefferson and the possible lose of Biyombo. They like RJ Hunter, who will almost certainly be there at 16, and they get an extra pick at the top of the 2nd. They have a big hole at the 2, but AB and Hunter with their differing strengths would seem to work well. Miami is known to want to trade for a quality NBA veteran. I think Riley would entertain something like..

BOS: Jared Sullinger and #16
MIA: #10

They need more talent, and Sully has talent. He's in a contract year and just strikes me as the kind of player Riley would want. Could be really good next to Whiteside in his contract year. Even the deal Lowe suggested with the Jazz is a possibility. Draft day hysteria might force to include a pick though.

BOS: Avery Bradley and #28
UTAH: #12 and Rodney Hood
BOS selects Myles Turner at #12, Sam Dekker at #16 and McCollugh at #33

I like this deal for both sides. Gives us a immediate replacement for AB who could fit in a Smart/Thomas back-court pretty well and he can shoot. Plus, with #12 and #16 we could either package our picks to keep moving up or take a couple good young prospects. I just have a hard time seeing Ainge trading Bradley, who he loves and is a key member of this team, for 4 spots in the draft and Rodney Hood.

Whew! It's a sweet time to be a C's fan, you know something gonna happen cause were not picking 4 rookies but who knows what. I could see us trading back too.

« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2015, 04:28:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

well crap! those are exactly the two players i wanted the celtics to draft.  >:( on the bright side, next year they will be that much better and the celtics own something like 3,298 draft picks.  ;D so an even better chance to get them.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2015, 06:09:59 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

well crap! those are exactly the two players i wanted the celtics to draft.  >:( on the bright side, next year they will be that much better and the celtics own something like 3,298 draft picks.  ;D so an even better chance to get them.

Agree.  I was looking at Vezenkov as a second-rounder. 

Downside is that makes #45 look even worse.  If we couldn't trade up, I was hoping we could send #16,45 to Houston for #18,32.  Oh well.

Mike

« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
With Kaminsky rapidly dropping in a lot of mock drafts, there's a decent chance he's there at 16. If so, would you guys be happy to see the celtics take him there , and if not, why not?

« Reply #201 on: June 17, 2015, 12:03:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
With Kaminsky rapidly dropping in a lot of mock drafts, there's a decent chance he's there at 16. If so, would you guys be happy to see the celtics take him there , and if not, why not?

Kaminsky is a top 3 fav of the pacers. Dont think he will get past them

« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Kaminsky is a top 3 fav of the pacers. Dont think he will get past them

If Payne is there they will likely take him , so it's possible

« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2015, 12:13:06 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29

Maybe 45, but that pick isn't very valuable anyways. That's just about in "Traded for Cash considerations" territory. I think 33 still holds solid value. The level of prospect available, both domestic and foreign, is pretty even from the early 20's through the start of the 2nd round is pretty similar. A lot of times, especially to a team like Miami or OKC, that 33 pick is more valuable than 28 because if a guy with good talent and red flags is available there (think Upshaw), the contract structure is better than if they were picked in the 1st.

The way it sits not after the recent trades, I think Sacto at 6, Charlotte at 8, Miami at 10 and Utah at 12 are our best trade-up options. At least two, if not three or all four picks are going to have to be involved if we do go that route. I think Ainge is trying to do it without giving up anyone on our current roster, but if the right guy falls and/or the right deal presents itself I think it's quite possible we see someone like Sully, AB, Young or KO go as part of a package.

If you asked me today, I would say just on my gut that it'll be Towns, Russell, Okafor, Mudiay, Porzingas, Lyles, Mario, Winslow, Booker, Johnson, Cauley-Stein, Turner, Kaminsky, Payne and Portis at 15. Of course I'm deff wrong, but I can see that scenario play out. That would put us in range of Winslow, Johnson, WCS and Turner. The reason we keep hearing about us moving up is because Ainge realizes that not only do we have the ammo to do it and a good young team that needs pieces, but this is a pretty deep draft where guys are flying up and down the board and an opportunity will likely present itself for us to move up and grab a good prospect for a reasonable rate. As an added bonus, most of the guys in our trade-up range are guys who fill a need. Think about this..

We could make a really good package for Sacto that would allow them multiple picks AND players that will help then make a playoff run this year. Plus, they have bad contracts they want out of, which we have the cap space to deal with. What about..

BOS: Kelly Olynyk, Evan Turner, #16 and #28.
SAC: #6, Jason Thompson (Or Carl Landry)
BOS selects Justise Winslow at #6, Robert Upshaw at #33

That could work for both sides. Charlotte seems likely as our target trade partner right now. They're willing to move back, we have guys that can fill needs they have, and their pick at 9 is almost sure to catch one of the guys we seem to rate highly falling down. So let's say..

BOS: Tyler Zeller, #16 and #33
CHA: #9
BOS selects Willie Cauley Stein. Trades 28, 45 and the 16 MIA 2nd to CLE for #24, selects Justin Anderson.

Assuming they've talked about the idea of trading back with the C's internally, I'm sure Charlotte has entertained the idea of asking for Zeller. Zeller played really well for us this season and proved himself to be a quality NBA big man. He's beloved in the Carolina's for what he did on those UNC teams, his brother already plays there, and he would be great insurance for Jefferson and the possible lose of Biyombo. They like RJ Hunter, who will almost certainly be there at 16, and they get an extra pick at the top of the 2nd. They have a big hole at the 2, but AB and Hunter with their differing strengths would seem to work well. Miami is known to want to trade for a quality NBA veteran. I think Riley would entertain something like..

BOS: Jared Sullinger and #16
MIA: #10

They need more talent, and Sully has talent. He's in a contract year and just strikes me as the kind of player Riley would want. Could be really good next to Whiteside in his contract year. Even the deal Lowe suggested with the Jazz is a possibility. Draft day hysteria might force to include a pick though.

BOS: Avery Bradley and #28
UTAH: #12 and Rodney Hood
BOS selects Myles Turner at #12, Sam Dekker at #16 and McCollugh at #33

I like this deal for both sides. Gives us a immediate replacement for AB who could fit in a Smart/Thomas back-court pretty well and he can shoot. Plus, with #12 and #16 we could either package our picks to keep moving up or take a couple good young prospects. I just have a hard time seeing Ainge trading Bradley, who he loves and is a key member of this team, for 4 spots in the draft and Rodney Hood.

Whew! It's a sweet time to be a C's fan, you know something gonna happen cause were not picking 4 rookies but who knows what. I could see us trading back too.

That scenario where we get WCS and Justin Anderson is a dream draft for me. Our defense alone would win us 40 games next year,

Pick up a max scorer in free agency we are a contender in the east,

Worst case from that scenario

Smart
Bradley
Anderson
Sully
WCS

Best case

Smart/ Isaiah
Wes Mathews/ young
Anderson/ crowder
Aldridge/ Sully
WCS/ kelly

one can dream huh?

Re: NBA Draft.Net Celtics Team Needs
« Reply #204 on: June 17, 2015, 12:15:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Boston Celtics

Needs: Three point shooting, Small forward
Picks: 16, 28, 33, 45

The Celtics find themselves with solid point guard play now that they have a combination of Isaiah Thomas, who played very well after joining the team last season, and Marcus Smart, who projects to become a quality point guard in the league in time. Sure, the Celtics could use an infusion of talent, but Brad Stevens has done a terrific job with this team. With Avery Bradley holding down the opponent's top perimeter threat, Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk developing down low, and draft picks to add to the equation, the Celtics rebuilding plans seem to be on track. Moving on from the Pierce/Rondo/ Allen/ Garnett days could have easily been a long process, but Boston appears to be in pretty good shape moving forward, even if it's due in large part to a weak Eastern Conference.

With the 16th and 28th picks in the draft, Boston will have some options. It's important for them to find some outside shooting, as they were towards the bottom of the league last season in that department. They could also look to strengthen their inside presence with one of their picks. If Kelly Oubre is still on the board, they could look to grab him. They took James Young in the first round last year, who shares some of the same skills, but could also play alongside him. Justin Anderson could also be a viable option for them if they elect to go with a wing with their top pick. If they want a big man, they will likely look to grab somebody such as Bobby Portis or Montrezl Harrell.
from NBA Draft.net

Not sure how I fell about this. They cover all the bases. Just about every kind of prospect is mentioned

Ive been up and down on Kelly. His physical tools and 3 pt stroke are a tantalizing combination but he struggles in a lot of important areas.

I love the casual "sure, good players might help."
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2015, 10:16:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
My picks update

16- Lyles pf - Strong freshman year. If he played for any other school, he would of likely started.  This would have meant better stats, been a higher pick.  Comparison:  KO, Monroe hybrid.

28- Chris McCullough sf/pf- will get the 1st year Noel treatment. Will be brought along slowly. Take extra time to recover from surgery, build up strength and get some min with the d league in the 2nd half of the year.  Risky pick/draft and stash, high potential reward.   

33. Jordan Mickey pf - elite shot blocker. 240 pounds. Good iq and motor. Had an iron deficiency issue (resolved now)near the end of the year for his slight decrease in production. Led the sec in double double, shot blocks per game, 2nd or 3rd in rebounding.  Lyles and Mickey picks mean neither bass nor jerebko will be brought back

45- Pat Connaughton sg - explosive athelete that can shoot and play strong D. Very good rebounder for size. Can bring up the ball and is a good passer. Like Ainge also is a baseball player. 

Lineup after draft
Zeller
Sully
Turner
AB
Smart

Bench
KO
Lyles/Mickey
Crowder/Young
Young/Connaughton
IT/Connaughton/Pressey