Author Topic: Ben Simmons wins Rookie of the Year  (Read 5672 times)

Re: Ben Simmons wins Rookie of the Year
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 12:14:10 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
So will Fultz be in the running next year? What about Smith after the 2019-2020 season?  :P
Fultz played 14 games this season so no he won't be a rookie next season.  Simmons deserved ROY.  Coming in like he did playing PG for the 1st time and putting up 15.8 points, 8.2 assists, 8.1 rebounds and 1.7 steals in 81 games while leading the Sixers to 52 wins.

IMO, I would have voted for Mitchell. He carried UT offensively. Simmons did not carry a well rounded Philly team. As well as Jayson played, he could stand by and let Kyrie carry the load most of the season. Mitchell didn't have the luxury either of the other guys had.

Simmons is a great talent, but he's not a rookie, and he didn't accomplish as much as Mitchell. Mitchell should have won.
What did Mitchell accomplish?  If you average 17.2 shots with 7 of them being 3s, you should average 20 points a game.  His 3pt% was only 34%.  Utah didn't start winning until Gobert came back. 

Playing PG is much tougher.  Young PGs just don't do what Simmons did and that was his 1st year being a PG.  Simmons arguably should have been an All-star this season.
Mitchell shot 34% from 3
Tatum shot 48% from 3.
Simmons shot 0% from 3

No rookie starting guard has ever shot so bad from 3 as simmons did. He made nba history as the worst 3 pt shot from a rookie guard ever
The award is rookie of the year not rookie 3pt shooter of the year.  The only 3pt shots Simmons took were heaves at the end of quarters.  But here are some shooting numbers and overall numbers.     

EFG%    TS%
Mitchell       50.6      54.1
Simmons     54.5      55.7
Tatum         53.8      58.6

MIN  REB  AST   BLK   STL   PF   TO    PTS   
Mitchell      33.4  3.7   3.7    0.3   1.5   2.7   2.7   20.5
Simmons    33.7  8.1   8.2    0.9   1.7   2.6   3.4   15.8
Tatum        30.5  5.0   1.6    0.7   1.0   2.1   1.4   13.9
a guard that shoots 0% from 3 is an embarrassment and has no business winning an award

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 01:04:42 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
So will Fultz be in the running next year? What about Smith after the 2019-2020 season?  :P
Fultz played 14 games this season so no he won't be a rookie next season.  Simmons deserved ROY.  Coming in like he did playing PG for the 1st time and putting up 15.8 points, 8.2 assists, 8.1 rebounds and 1.7 steals in 81 games while leading the Sixers to 52 wins.

IMO, I would have voted for Mitchell. He carried UT offensively. Simmons did not carry a well rounded Philly team. As well as Jayson played, he could stand by and let Kyrie carry the load most of the season. Mitchell didn't have the luxury either of the other guys had.

Simmons is a great talent, but he's not a rookie, and he didn't accomplish as much as Mitchell. Mitchell should have won.
What did Mitchell accomplish?  If you average 17.2 shots with 7 of them being 3s, you should average 20 points a game.  His 3pt% was only 34%.  Utah didn't start winning until Gobert came back. 

Playing PG is much tougher.  Young PGs just don't do what Simmons did and that was his 1st year being a PG.  Simmons arguably should have been an All-star this season.
I agree with you Simmons deserved the ROY award, but sorry, he wasn't an All-Star this year. He's a PG and in the East Kyrie, Wall and Lowry were better PGs. And Oladipo, Beal and DeRozan had better seasons as guards.

Until Simmons can hit mid range to outside shots, I don't see him as All Star material. Cs exposed him in the playoffs.
I was taking into account injuries.  No way Dragic deserved to be an All-star over Simmons. 
I think Wall is significantly overrated and Lowry didn't have that good of a season.  His scoring was way down.

Jeez man. This is every thread someone mentions philly

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 01:06:05 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
If the voting had taken place after the playoffs and included playoff performances , Tatum would have won.
These are regular season awards.

Hey Bryan... is this your only Celticsblog account? Or is Larbrd33 you as well?

Hope early retirement is treating you well.

Lol the Bryan burner account crossed my mind here. It's relentless

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 02:05:15 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

I agree with you Simmons deserved the ROY award, but sorry, he wasn't an All-Star this year. He's a PG and in the East Kyrie, Wall and Lowry were better PGs. And Oladipo, Beal and DeRozan had better seasons as guards.

Until Simmons can hit mid range to outside shots, I don't see him as All Star material. Cs exposed him in the playoffs.
I was taking into account injuries.  No way Dragic deserved to be an All-star over Simmons. 
I think Wall is significantly overrated and Lowry didn't have that good of a season.  His scoring was way down.

I didn't start the thread.  Just responding to the same old regurgitated nonsense.  Its one thing to think Mitchell deserved to win it but some of these posts acting like Simmons didn't even belong in the discussion are just mind numbing. 

BTW, condolences on draft night.  Must have been heart wrenching to believe the MCW trade saga was finally over and then to have that Suns trade open it back up again.  Oh well only 3 more years to go. 

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 02:08:55 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

No way Simmons is an all-star. You don't deserve to be an all-star when your team does better when TJ McConnell is in for you.

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 02:54:33 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I didn't start the thread.  Just responding to the same old regurgitated nonsense.  Its one thing to think Mitchell deserved to win it but some of these posts acting like Simmons didn't even belong in the discussion are just mind numbing. 

BTW, condolences on draft night.  Must have been heart wrenching to believe the MCW trade saga was finally over and then to have that Suns trade open it back up again.  Oh well only 3 more years to go.

The trade is pretty irrelevant at this point to be honest.

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2018, 06:07:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's a joke but the league has spent its marketing dollars on him and wants their return.

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2018, 07:00:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Simmons deserved ROY.

He was not a true rookie.  A year in the weight room and practicing makes for a big competitive edge.   The only reason they let these guys still classify as rookies is that they spent a ton of marketing dollars on them...

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2018, 07:58:26 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Mitchell = Tyreke Evans
Simmons = Michael Carter Williams
Tatum = Future hall of famer.

Award is nonsense as usual. move along

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2018, 08:12:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Simmons deserved ROY.

He was not a true rookie.  A year in the weight room and practicing makes for a big competitive edge.   The only reason they let these guys still classify as rookies is that they spent a ton of marketing dollars on them...
and being hurt and missing an entire year of basketball is a negative.  It works both ways.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2018, 09:42:16 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I'm sorry if I missed it but do we know yet who the writer is that didn't choose Tatum for 1st team indicating there were 5 better rookies than Tatum?

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 10:11:05 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm sorry if I missed it but do we know yet who the writer is that didn't choose Tatum for 1st team indicating there were 5 better rookies than Tatum?

I don’t think we have, but he or she gets a pass if they also were the ones to give Semi his only second-team vote.

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
No big deal, the award is pretty meaningless anyway. Tatum was the best rookie in the playoffs easily which to me is the bigger yardstick than the regular season.

Tatum, Mitchell and Simmons are probably all going to turn out to be great players.

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 10:21:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
they haven't been released yet, and I do think it is strange that someone presumably had 3 of these 4 - Ball, Markkanen, Smith, and Kuzma ahead of Tatum (along with Simmons and Mitchell), but I suppose statistically you could at least make that argument (Ball had more assists and rebounds and the other 3 all scored more in addition to some eclipsing other stats of Tatum). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2018, 10:24:42 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
No big deal, the award is pretty meaningless anyway. Tatum was the best rookie in the playoffs easily which to me is the bigger yardstick than the regular season.

Tatum, Mitchell and Simmons are probably all going to turn out to be great players.

No it's not a big deal BUT if this person seriously thinks there were 5 better rookies than Tatum then this person really doesn't deserve to vote again. I would seriously like to see what 5 players he/she thinks had a better season. Is it someone in a city with an agenda?

Salt - now that would be very funny if the person in question voted both Tatum & Ojeleye for 2nd team. That person should not only be stripped of voting privileges but should be committed.