Author Topic: Ben Simmons wins Rookie of the Year  (Read 5671 times)

Ben Simmons wins Rookie of the Year
« on: June 25, 2018, 09:30:30 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
SMH. Jayson Tatum got robbed.

Simmons one of the most overrated RotY player I've ever seen

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Re: Ben Simmons wins Rookie of the Year
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 09:33:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Everyone knew this was coming, the RIGBA.  I think Donovan Mitchell should have won it.   I love Tatum but I had Mitchell as slightly better for the whole season.   Tatum could have put up bigger numbers if he was on a team like that though.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 09:41:58 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
So will Fultz be in the running next year? What about Smith after the 2019-2020 season?  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 09:45:02 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Other awards to follow:

Rudy Gobert wins DPOY.
Victor Oladipo wins MIP.
Lou Williams wins 6MOTY.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 09:46:34 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Congrats to him.

BOS still owns PHI, though - taking up real estate in the PHI area since the 80s.

Looking forward to Kyrie, GH, Big Al and our OWN talented youth movement continue this ownership well into the 2020s.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 09:47:52 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Everyone knew this was coming, the RIGBA.  I think Donovan Mitchell should have won it.   I love Tatum but I had Mitchell as slightly better for the whole season.   Tatum could have put up bigger numbers if he was on a team like that though.

Agreed. Mitchell was a beast all season. His team didn't do quite as good, but tougher conference and Philly caught fire at the end. Both Mitchell and Tatum showed up in the playoffs, Tatum got better as then went on and Simmons buckled against the C's. But his game is pretty and thats all people seem to care about.

Rookie of the year that can't hit a jump shot out side 15 feet and is not a center....SMH

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 09:53:41 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
So will Fultz be in the running next year? What about Smith after the 2019-2020 season?  :P
Fultz played 14 games this season so no he won't be a rookie next season.  Simmons deserved ROY.  Coming in like he did playing PG for the 1st time and putting up 15.8 points, 8.2 assists, 8.1 rebounds and 1.7 steals in 81 games while leading the Sixers to 52 wins. 

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 10:04:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Other awards to follow:

Rudy Gobert wins DPOY.
Victor Oladipo wins MIP.
Lou Williams wins 6MOTY.
Crazy that AD isn’t DPOY
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:07:29 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Other awards to follow:

Rudy Gobert wins DPOY.
Victor Oladipo wins MIP.
Lou Williams wins 6MOTY.
Crazy that AD isn’t DPOY

IMO, AD's the best defensive big man, but Gobert does do a lot defensively. The difference is AD carried a team offensively after Cousins got hurt, AND played stellar D all the while. Gobert adds next to nothing on offense and can expend most of his energy on the defensive end.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 10:11:02 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Fultz played 14 games this season so no he won't be a rookie next season.  Simmons deserved ROY.  Coming in like he did playing PG for the 1st time and putting up 15.8 points, 8.2 assists, 8.1 rebounds and 1.7 steals in 81 games while leading the Sixers to 52 wins.

IMO, I would have voted for Mitchell. He carried UT offensively. Simmons did not carry a well rounded Philly team. As well as Jayson played, he could stand by and let Kyrie carry the load most of the season. Mitchell didn't have the luxury either of the other guys had.

Simmons is a great talent, but he's not a rookie, and he didn't accomplish as much as Mitchell. Mitchell should have won.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 10:14:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

Sure, if he was an actual rookie.  ;)

Don't agree with defining a "rookie" as the first year actually playing games. It should be strictly defined as your first year of your first contract. Players like Simmons benefit a ton by being around the NBA game a full year before stepping on the court, which isn't fair. Part of being the rookie of the year is being able to adjust to an entirely new game and lifestyle rather quickly, which gives players like Simmons an unfair advantage, at least in the sense of awarding the top rookie.

I think an argument could be made for Tatum, but Mitchell was the obvious choice to me. I'm pretty confident that Tatum has the best career of those three, but given the context of the differing teams and the fewer touches and usage that Tatum had, you probably have to give Mitchell the nod.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 10:15:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Other awards to follow:

Rudy Gobert wins DPOY.
Victor Oladipo wins MIP.
Lou Williams wins 6MOTY.

Good for Amir on the Hustle Award. While I think Smart should pretty much be a lock for this award every year, Amir is a hardworking, humble guy.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would bet that we get shut out of all awards.

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 10:20:23 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Took him two years to win it

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 10:34:23 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Is baseball the only sport where you can get some burn one season and still be considered a rookie the following season?

I suppose it’s tied to having a farm system, because part of the eligibility requires he player to be on the big league roster fewer than a certain amount of days.
CELTICS 2024