Author Topic: Perkins & Ibaka vs Gasol and Zac Randolph...Who wins?  (Read 5636 times)

Re: Perkins & Ibaka vs Gasol and Zac Randolph...Who wins?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Thunder struggled containing Nene last series, so i'm pretty sure they'll have issues with Randolph.

I'm not sure that this is true.  Nene had a big Game 1, especially in the 1st half.  However, Nene was held below his season average in FG% (61.5% vs. 47.8%) and points (14.5 vs. 14.2), despite playing more minutes.  In other words, the Thunder did a pretty good job against Nene.

Also, beyond Nene, the Thunder did a fantastic job of defending the Nuggets as a whole.  See this chart, courtesy of Tom Ziller:

In all five games, the Thunder kept the Nuggets (the highest scoring team in the NBA) below their season average, and in three of those games, they kept the Nuggets below the NBA average.  When you restrict the best offense in the league to below-NBA-average levels, you're doing something correctly.

I Stand Corrected. I guess when i saw Nene in there he seemed to be dominating, but i guess it was just the stretches i saw him ferociously dunking over the thunder bigmen

Yeah, it's interesting.  Starting in Game 1, there became a narrative that "the Thunder can't guard Nene", and a lot of fans, as well as the media, bought into that. 

However, in Games 2 through 5, Nene shot 13-for-35:  37.1%.  This is a guy who led the NBA in FG%, so I'd say the Thunder's defense was actually pretty impressive (again, outside of Game 1, where Scott Brooks admitted that their schemes were leaving Perk in bad position.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 12:33:28 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Gasol + Randolph + Arthur are way better than Perk + Ibaka + Collison. It doesn't mean the Grizzlies are going to dominate the Thunder, but they have an advantage there.

Conley is playing better than Westbrook, IMO. Against the Spurs, he was too much for Tony Parker. We'll see how it goes. Conley (as every other player in the league) will have problems to defend Westbrook, but he's showing great team direction skills. That leads to great execution, while Westbrook has shown too little in the clutch.

The Grizzlies problem is the 2 and 3 spots. Durant is, by far, the best player out there, and the key will be if anyone can limit him, as he's unstoppable. The Grizzlies, although OJ and TA are playing great, are missing Rudy Gay and their young prospects are still too raw to make a difference against top teams.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Ibaka is a great help defender, but I worry about his bulk vs. Randolph or Gasol in 1v1 post ups. I'd probably start with Serge on Zach, but have a very quick trigger on putting Perk on him if he's muscling his way into easy looks.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 12:50:42 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I don't think the Thunder's big men match up well with the Grizzlies' frontcourt.  That said, I don't think Conley, TA, and Battier will be enough to contain Westbrook, Durant, and Harden.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Perk always had problems with Bogut, and Marc Gasol is basically the same type of player

I don't think Ibaka can handle Randolph's strength. I think Memphis has a big advantage in this series with their bigs

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 12:59:18 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
One good series and the Grizzlies are the flavour of the month. Perkins and Ibaka will do fine against Marc and Z-Bo.

Besides, Z-Bo is the only true threat on that team whereas OKC have KD and Westbrook.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Very slightly off-topic, but did anybody see the plays Randolph was making down the stretch in Game 6?  McDyess, especially, was playing absolutely fantastic defense, and Randolph wouldn't be denied.

Yeah, he was incredible.  McDyess was practically in Randolph's jersey, grabbing and clutching him, and he still made shots.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 01:19:01 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
If Perk keeps shooting 16 footers that break the backboard, and gets abused by Gasol, I'm going Gasol/Randolph

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 01:19:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Its a tough call because the Grizzlies front men are alll offense. Z bo can score on anybody and in big bunches, Gasol also owns the paint for the Griz. Perk and Ibaka have virtually no offense but are crazy good on defense. Its a clash of two different worlds pretty much. It shall provide for an great match up but I dont see the Grizz winning this one, Ive got the Thunder going to the Finals.

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Gonna be tough for N.Collison or S.Ibaka to matchup with M.Gasol when Perk is off the floor.

Need to increase Perk's minutes or give their backup C Nazr Mohammed some more court time.

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 01:30:09 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Early returns say the Grizz frontcourt will be just fine against OKC.

I think Darrell Arthur will do a lot less in this series, though, and that might be important.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 01:34:03 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
Gonna be tough for N.Collison or S.Ibaka to matchup with M.Gasol when Perk is off the floor.

Need to increase Perk's minutes or give their backup C Nazr Mohammed some more court time.

So far, Perks having trouble with Gasol. Loses him on the double team down low, Gasol hits the 16 footer. Then Gasol too quick for Perk in the lane, quick turn around 7 footer over Perk

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 01:37:57 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Sorry Perk fans, Memphis bigs have got this one.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:47:34 PM by Chief »
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Please put any "game thread" type comments that aren't analyzing this specific matchup here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes