Author Topic: OKC vs LA can they upset?  (Read 5633 times)

OKC vs LA can they upset?
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:57:11 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
so heard over espn they will be going up against each other in the 1st round.

should be a good series thunder been playing real solid and also play d, but could they upset the lakers? i doubt it but would be nice lol westbrook will have his way im sure and also durant. on the other hand gasol and bynum if hes back will have there way as well.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: OKC vs LA can they upset?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 04:16:22 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
This year I dont think so. Lakers are too good and the Thunder dont have the experience. Kobe vs Durant will be great to watch however, but i dont think the Thunder have it in them this season. Maybe add a couple vets over the summer and next year we could see a different story.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 04:32:21 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
No, but they can perhaps give them a tough series, softening them up for the next team they face.

OKC doesn't have enough size inside to really deal with LA in my opinion.  Having a fast, strong PG and a great perimeter defender certainly helps against Fisher (LA's biggest weakness) and Kobe (LA's biggest strength), though.  But Artest will likely do a good job containing Durant.

I'd give OKC a 5% chance of beating the Lakers.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 04:33:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If Bynum isn't able to be effective they have a chance. The Lakers should be favored of course, but the Thunder definitely would have a 20-30% chance.

With Bynum the Thunder will get beat up too much inside.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I don't think so. The Thunder lacks interior presence (especially against Gasol and Bynum) and they don't have any experience whatsoever.

However, without Bynum or with a limited Bynum, and with a limited Kobe (he seems to be playing through injuries) they really have a chance.

But ultimately I see them winning two games on their homecourt and lose the series.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 04:56:17 PM »

Offline boston.balla

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Yes. Especially if Bynum is out of form Kobe doesn't understand that he's not the player he was 3 seasons ago and currently he can't be the first option for the Lakers unless the matchup is there. And in this case, with Sefolosha+Westrbook outside and only Ibaka inside, the matchup is there for Gasol/Bynum but not for Kobe.

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:58:11 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I know someone will tell me that I am a pessimist and that I am a conspiracy theorist, but the league has been salivating for a Kobe-Lebron Finals for a few years now.

There is no chance the Lakers lose in the first round.  (I'd be happy if I am proven wrong, but I just can't see anyway the league lets this happen).

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It'll certainly be entertaining to watch... Sefolosha does an excellent job on Kobe (the last time they played, he had 9 TO's), and Artest will probably have to deal with Durant... Westbrook will run circles around Fisher for sure, but Gasol will be a force inside (not including Bynum until he's confirmed to be playing and shakes off the rust a bit). Personally, I think this could go 7 games, the Lakers will win with experience in the end but that won't stop me from cheering on OKC.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I am going to give the Thunder a 45% chance of upsetting the Lakers, not because the Thunder are better than the Lakers...but because the Lakers have show a tendency to play down to their opponents...especially on the road.

If the Thunder can win a game in LA, they have a real shot to steal the series.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
The refs might stop showing love to KD, will be interesting to see.

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 05:43:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Love the Thunder, but I think the Lakers will probably find a way to shut out Durant.  Once Durant is shut out... I'm not sure what else the Thunder can do.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 05:44:26 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
LA will crumble on the road against OKC, That building is going to explode. Golden State x2.

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 05:46:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Love the Thunder, but I think the Lakers will probably find a way to shut out Durant.  Once Durant is shut out... I'm not sure what else the Thunder can do.
I think Westbrook can destroy Fisher for a game or two sufficiently to make up for an off game by Durant.

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 05:47:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

This'll be the first real test of Durant's career - Artest is gonna do anything and everything he can to get under his skin.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 05:51:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

This'll be the first real test of Durant's career - Artest is gonna do anything and everything he can to get under his skin.
Artest doesn't do that good of a job on Durant. Durant is long enough to get a shot over him and too quick for him. Unless the officials let Artest just beat him to death Durant will win it solidly.