Author Topic: Anyone else tired of Van Gundy's whining?  (Read 5656 times)

Anyone else tired of Van Gundy's whining?
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I cannot believe I liked this guy a season ago. Everything has to be an issue with him. He's so irritating now even when he kinda has a point it (like in this case I admit) it still sounds like whining to me.

“Kevin Garnett has been in this league forever and he’s won six playoff series in his career. Dwight’s won four and he’s 23 years old [actually, 24]. That’s a pretty good comparison. Why is Kevin Garnett a great winner and Dwight Howard’s not? I don’t get it. And if you’re just going to go by titles, Kevin Garnett’s got one, and Dwight’s got as many as LeBron’s got. But LeBron’s a great winner and Dwight [isn't]? I don’t get it.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2010/02/garnett_howard.html
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2010/02/stan-van-gundy-defends-dwight-howard.html
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Re: Anyone else tired of Van Gundy's whining?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:00:28 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
He'll find out when a healthy KG knocks his team out of the playoffs.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:04:57 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
He does whine a lot for the right reason usually. I know it offends Celtics fans, but that's the reality. Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce weren't considered winners 3 seasons ago. Both were stuck on bad teams for many years. SVG is sticking up for his guy, and you hope every coach does the same.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
I'm fine when people give our players bulletin board material.  ;D

But, honestly, I agree with the Orlando Sentinel premise. Dwight looks like he has the same demeanor when it's the playoffs. I never really feared him in the series against us. He needs a big shot maker alongside him. But he is a phenomenal building block and I can't fault him for being himself.

I also remember 2 or 3 years ago when Orlando was matched against Detroit in the playoffs in a deciding game. There was a loose ball in crunch time that I would consider a 50/50 ball, but Dwight didn't even make an effort for it. It left a lasting impression on me that I haven't been able to shake from my brain.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 08:45:06 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think Dwight just gets this reputation because he's such an easy going guy.  I don't doubt his focus and determination though.  Dwight has already gone to the Finals once and I expect him to be there again.  I will be surprised if Dwight doesn't get at least one ring.  Will he have as great a career as KG or Shaq?  That remains to be seen (probably not), but he's a truly dominant center at a time when there are very few dominant centers in the league.  He'll be a "winner" soon enough.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 09:07:54 PM »

Offline ejk3489

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 215
I cannot believe I liked this guy a season ago. Everything has to be an issue with him. He's so irritating now even when he kinda has a point it (like in this case I admit) it still sounds like whining to me.

“Kevin Garnett has been in this league forever and he’s won six playoff series in his career. Dwight’s won four and he’s 23 years old [actually, 24]. That’s a pretty good comparison. Why is Kevin Garnett a great winner and Dwight Howard’s not? I don’t get it. And if you’re just going to go by titles, Kevin Garnett’s got one, and Dwight’s got as many as LeBron’s got. But LeBron’s a great winner and Dwight [isn't]? I don’t get it.”

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2010/02/garnett_howard.html
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2010/02/stan-van-gundy-defends-dwight-howard.html

Why is Kevin Garnett a winner Van Gundy? Ummm I don't know maybe it's because he HAS won something? It's not like he's been called this his whole career. When you win a title things change.

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:45:05 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
i just can't believe he had such a long adult film career

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 09:51:13 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
The successful Magic teams have been stacked with Talent. If Dwight was the level of player KG or Lebron were he would've won more than 1 game in the finals and wouldn't have been stopped by the Pistons the years before. Dwight doesn't take over games.

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:00:31 PM »

Offline 4THQTR

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 61
I don't mind him sticking up for his guy, you'd hope the coach does so...

The funny thing is that before winning a title KG was considered by many as a loser too. He sure had to hear lots of stuff about never taking the wolves to the finals and his star-status has been questioned time and time again...

As someone else posted: Things change after you win that title though...

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 10:42:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I can't believe that someone who's offensive game is as limited as Howard's is stares at his hand every time he makes a shot while he's jogging up the court. He probably spends his days off dreaming about being able to wear that ridiculous superman cape in an actual game.

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 10:50:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Ummm, KG's name was being thrown around with guys like Barkley and Malone as a choke artist until 2008.  I don't know what Van Gundy is talking about.

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Dwight cannot be put in the class of these players because when the game's on the line, he is not the person you want with the ball. The last couple years the Turkster was their go to guy. Now it's Vince (kinda). Van Gundy needs to take a chill pill and lose some weight.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 12:11:59 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

bow-chicka-wow-wow... 

but seriously, who cares about this?  coaches are going to stick up for THEIR guys, so i have no problem with what stan says.  what do you expect him to say?  much ado about nothing...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 12:26:18 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach

lol, he looks kinda like a cross between Ron Jeremy and Mario the Plumber; I wonder if he rolls around in a child pred. van...not to make a pun on the 'Van' in Van Gundy, lol  :P

http://www.hallfordnn.com/Images/EVox/2008/Ford/E-250/4565_cc0640_YZ_md.jpg
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 12:33:48 AM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 12:33:33 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I've been tired of BOTH Van Gundy's for a long time. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *