Author Topic: Steve Francis  (Read 5659 times)

Re: Steve Francis
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 08:52:35 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
He's finished. 

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
He's done, which is amazing to say for a guy who's 31.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »

Offline Da Truth 34

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
I've always mentioned Steve Francis in basketball talks with my friends/co-owners of our season tickets,as What happen to this guy?"Stevie Franchise" was an All-star with his driving ability, and flashy dunks & jams and a mean crossover dribble to boot,then BOOM a trade to the magic and all of sudden he drops down to oblivion..I think I remember at one time he had some migraine problems or something,and a ankle injury to go with it..But my question is how someone who was so skilled and was an All-star in this league drop so quick and fast and lose his game without major injury or a decline in old age..I guess ill have to go with what is being said with him just not caring anymore ,as heart and drive have a lot to do with it...

Oh and no I don't think he has it in him to be a part of a run for Banner 18

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 09:26:43 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
This guy was always super althletic and not highly skilled, but [dang], it really appears that he suddenly stopped trying when he wasn't the top dog on his team anymore.  Seems like a loser to me.

Severely disagree.  Franchise was definitely highly skilled.  He had it all.  His handle was ridiculous, his shot wasnt all that bad, and he could pass.  He was one of the best pg's in the league.

Its a shame he got injured/decided to give up, because he was one of the most enjoyable players to watch in the league.  I only have 1 video on my ipod and its my Steve Francis mixtape to get me pumped up.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 09:31:16 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Same thing with Antoine.  How are these guys done so young? :o
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147

Too many miles too soon.  It's looking like Tmac might be going down that road as well.  Its a testament to guys like Garnett, Pierce, Ray, Kobe etc, to keep their bodies in good shape and even adapt their games to play when some of that athleticism is gone.  Even Vince Carter has reinvented himself.

Others just seem to have their bodies break down.  Jermaine O'Neal, Antoine, Franchise, even Iverson seems to be slowing down a bit.  It just happens in all sports.  there is a reason not all great players end up playing at the same level until they are 36.  It happens in every sport, Jim Rice, even Ladanian Tomlinson now.  Guys just break down at different rates, which is why longjevity is so impressive.  Especially when you can maintain a high level of play.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 09:45:54 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Retire.

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:59 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Weird...I signed onto Celticsblog looking forward to make a post that is almost exactly identical to this one...

Anyway, I would look into Francis but I wouldnt be so incredibly excited about the option. I would keep him on the back burner and use him as a last resort if we absolutely needed something. Right now I think we are fine. Pruitt has shown a bit of promise and after the all star break I bet Cassell logs a few minutes here and there. I'd pass on Francis and wait to see if anything happens with the Marbury situation.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Def not a good move. Francis' career down turned with the trade to Orlando.  Here's a guy, who for a few years was the face of the Houston franchise. They draft Yao, have a formidable back court in Mobley & Francis. Definitely had a good foundation laid.  Suddenly, T-Mac becomes available. That type of player that seems to be that 1 notch above a player like Francis (at that time).  Houston makes the trade and just like that his time with Houston is over.  He probably felt hurt/betrayed by the club.  For years they decorate you as the face of the team, one of the building blocks, and just like that its over. They basically tell you, "We no longer have any need for you, as we feel we can't go much further with you steering the ship."  And as we all know, things have not fared much better with T-Mac.  The guy clearly lost his desire to play, and now his once up and coming career has basically been broken to pieces.  I'm not saying the guy doesn't have any decent basketball left in him, but he's got to find the will & desire again.  To go from an important piece on a team to a guy getting waived by one of the worst clubs in the NBA, definitely will be hard to find the desire again.

As for him, if any speculation is made, joining Boston. Definitely would not do it.  He has no purpose or wanting to play.  The Marbury move would make more sense than this one. At least Marury would want to throw everything back in NY's face..but, that's a whole different topic.  But my vote is No for Steve Francis ever coming to Boston.

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 03:34:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

Never developed their games as they aged. Their reliance on things that worked while young/athletic killed them, especially Francis.

Both players had a lot of flaws too, so once a few things started going wrong it went downhill quickly.

Steve Francis, anybody? :)
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 07:45:53 PM »

Offline driz

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
  • Stojko Vrankovic > *
Why not?
David Friedman

Re: Steve Francis, anybody? :)
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 07:48:59 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
I doubt he can contribute. He's done. Too much injuries.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

Re: Steve Francis, anybody? :)
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 07:51:25 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Nope.  We had a thread in him last week.