Author Topic: Should we be upset with Wyc...  (Read 5657 times)

Should we be upset with Wyc...
« on: July 03, 2008, 08:56:39 PM »

Offline quikblink

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
For all the good Wyc and Co. have done for the Celtics should we be upset for their vote for the Sonics move?  The move was ratified 28-2 with only Cuban and Allen voting against it.  With all the shady business that was involved I dont like that our ownership group felt it was OK what Clay Bennett and Co did.

Re: Should we be upset with Wyc...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 08:58:43 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i could care less about the sonics. i admit it sucks for their fans, but i honestly dont care.  wyc's main concern is this franchise and he has done a [dang] good job!

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:01:01 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Well, honestly... you have to expect owners to lookout for each other to some degree. You also have to maintain relationships, etc.

Who knows.

With all that said, it sucks for the Sonics and I really really hate the NBA taking the basketball team from Seattle, but I could care less for what Wyc voted or not.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:01:43 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
No.
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 09:07:42 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'd have voted the same way.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 09:14:22 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.  Owners support each other.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:19:26 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
No.  There was no need to burn a bridge, especially when the vote was going to pass anyway.  If you want to blame anybody for this vote going through, blame Stern.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'd have voted the same way.

Ditto. Seattle had their chance and they said no, then they conspired against the owners. No sympathy here for anyone except the fans.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:25:56 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
For all the good Wyc and Co. have done for the Celtics should we be upset for their vote for the Sonics move?  The move was ratified 28-2 with only Cuban and Allen voting against it.  With all the shady business that was involved I dont like that our ownership group felt it was OK what Clay Bennett and Co did.
I am upset with Wyc. I'm also upset with the 27 other owners so that makes what 93% of the owners in the league ... It's a disgrace.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 09:34:06 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I don't know if I'm necessarily upset with Wyc or any specific owner... the whole situation is just a farce and very disheartening.  One the whole I am very surprised that only Cuban and the other Northwestern owner voted against it... I really thought there were more owners in the league that would be concerned about the type of message this sets, so I guess I actually am a little upset with Wyc.  However it's a small part... probably 60% Stern, 35% Bennett, and 5% dispersed among the other 27 owners.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 09:35:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I just kinda think it's a waste to have a team in Ok. City- hopefully after a couple of years, they crash and burn and either move back to Seattle or to a bigger city.

I can see why Wyc did it, but don't agree with how it all went down in the first place.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 09:40:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't know if I'm necessarily upset with Wyc or any specific owner... the whole situation is just a farce and very disheartening.  One the whole I am very surprised that only Cuban and the other Northwestern owner voted against it... I really thought there were more owners in the league that would be concerned about the type of message this sets, so I guess I actually am a little upset with Wyc.  However it's a small part... probably 60% Stern, 35% Bennett, and 5% dispersed among the other 27 owners.

I'm not sure Cuban's motives were completely altruistic.  Oklahoma City is currently Mavericks country, right?  If you move a team there, the Mavs potentially lose money.

As for Allen, he owns the Seahawks, doesn't he?  It could be he's trying not to irritate the home fans.

I doubt very much that these two stood up soley out of principle.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 09:43:55 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
because they have to do business with each other, it's highly unlikely wyc would be able to vote with his conscience on this one. the seattle fans really got screwed with this one. david zirin just wrote an article up on it at counterpunch, with a nice quote from ray allen. there's no doubt the owners planned to move the team to oklahoma city the second they bought the team.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 10:09:42 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
His vote would not have mattered as 28-2 is the same as 27-3

So who cares....... also it's over now...... 6 months from now no one will remember it anyways.

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 10:11:10 PM »

Offline blazingarrow

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 45
The NBA won't be the same without the Seattle Super Sonics.

However, this is  the sad reality of business...

There is not a lot of room for conscience.

Sometimes people have to do things they might not agree with, or want to. In this case, there was no reason to do anything that might hurt future  dealings with Sonic ownership. Especially just to prove a point, that's just not smart.

The expression "it's not personal, it's just business" exists for a reason.

Bottom line...Wyc did right by the Celtics by not alienating any of the other owners, and doing right by the Celtics is the only thing that matters.