Author Topic: Time for Doc to go.  (Read 33007 times)

Re: Time for Doc to go.
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Out of the 30 NBA head coaches, a grand total of four have won NBA titles. To me, Doc  has been an excellent coach who understands his team and what it takes during a long, grueling regular season to get that team ready for the playoffs.

If you don't think Doc Rivers is a good coach, here's one question for you: Has there ever been a year in the KG era that he didn't get every drop of effort of his team in the playoffs?

We won that title in spite of doc and almost got beat in round 1 and 2 against far inferior teams.....ive never seen a more up and down playoff team since kg has been here and we haven't been to the finals since thibodeau left.

« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2012, 02:13:49 PM »

Offline The4Time2Doctor0

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 18
I wouldn't say fire him, but he is not as intelligent as he is portrayed. he is a players coach, who can draw up a few good plays, but he has shown that if his plan doesn't work he does not adjust very fast. This has been true his entire coaching life.

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
I think Doc is losing a bit of his touch with this team.  All these veterans - and that's fine - but someone has to have the stones to get in their faces.  Look, this team is not good enough to coast - they're not athletic enough, and lack any inside presence.

I also think Milicic was handled TERRIBLY - and for that I blame Doc.  We could use him right now.  It's like Doc has no consistency in how he coaches, yet he asks for the very thing from his players that he can't give.

If Doc were let go tomorrow I could care less.  Yeah, he's a nice guy, but he's not some magician with a magic touch.  He AND Danny both admit this team will coast - but they might just coast themselves into a lottery pick if they don't pick it up.

My opinion of this team right now is they're OVERpaid, and they're on the decline.  They remind me of the early 90's Celtics that just couldn't get it done...though this team is less talented. 

But I don't even find them that much fun to even watch anymore...  This team is poorly constructed...  And that's on both Doc and Danny.

« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
But I don't even find them that much fun to even watch anymore...
It's very frustrating to see the team hammered on the boards night after night. Worst rebounding team in the league.

I think they'll be more fun to watch when Bradley returns and the defense kicks on another gear.

« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2012, 04:04:52 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
When he had all his weapons, he knew how to fire them and won. 

When he didn't, he used whatever he could to get the team in position to win.  That's all you can ask of your head coach. 

For the first parragraph I will say yes

For the second I am not sold

i am still worried why people consider this team still limited, on paper he have a super roster. If we had a Center on prime of course we should be better, but we should be better now too.

Very low % of people considered this team a .500 team 26 games ago.

I love our '08 championship team, but we almost lost to a .500 Cavs team and to the Hawks. We dominated the regular season. Look up the C's point differential margin for that regular season...it is almost historic.

But then the playoffs happen and we didn't even know how to handle the 42 win Cavs. Doc didn't know how to play Eddie House.

I feel like when your teams' back is against the wall due to injuries are due to insufficient talent, Doc is your man as coach.

But if you give Doc too many pieces that he doesn't quite know how to utilize, we're in trouble.

« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2012, 05:30:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
How many other current NBA coaches would you trade Doc for, if you could swap right now?

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2012, 05:31:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
But if you give Doc too many pieces that he doesn't quite know how to utilize, we're in trouble.

Obviously, the team has been too healthy.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2012, 06:26:55 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Out of the 30 NBA head coaches, a grand total of four have won NBA titles. To me, Doc  has been an excellent coach who understands his team and what it takes during a long, grueling regular season to get that team ready for the playoffs.

If you don't think Doc Rivers is a good coach, here's one question for you: Has there ever been a year in the KG era that he didn't get every drop of effort of his team in the playoffs?

We won that title in spite of doc and almost got beat in round 1 and 2 against far inferior teams.....ive never seen a more up and down playoff team since kg has been here and we haven't been to the finals since thibodeau left.

yep. sure is looking that way now.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2012, 08:39:57 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
I logged in to post this today....Honestly.....how can you defend this coach anymore.....No rebounds...( rebounds ARE defense!) but he said time and time again he doesn't like them....always benches rebounders, never plays young centers, always goes small, defense schemes flat out suck.....how many times are we going to get beat by some almost-scrub that just stands on the block or in the paint, rebounds his teams shots, and lays them up uncontested...that type of breakdowns causes terrible infighting...and breaks the team spirit.... You see a shot go up, never anyone waiting in the paint for the rebound, and the whole team turns and runs before the ball even hits the rim....TERRRIBLE coaching philosephy...the WORST. MeadowLark SCAL could have coached this team to a championship with the teams he had...3x.....!!!

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2012, 08:43:44 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
And then compare and contrast what Popovich has done with pretty much the same teams.....how many championships, and look at the team he has now even still, on the way up....developing draft picks, running plays for "coming-along" guys...splitter ( our melo) yup.....THAT....is coaching......You'd think Doc at least would copy him.....live and learn......!!!

« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2012, 08:46:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"Pretty much the same team"? I'm sorry, we didn't have Duncan for 10+ seasons in his prime.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2012, 09:11:58 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
we had garnett for how long now..?

« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2012, 09:24:46 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
so since 2007 then.....so....still pop outshined doc...i know you like to discard all the surrounding FACTS.....makes it easier...huh..?

« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2012, 10:23:44 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
splitter ( our melo)

Ian Mahinmi (who played 6 games as a 21-year-old rookie) is much better comp for how Popovich might develop Melo than Splitter (who played 60 games as a 26-year-old rookie).

« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Doc's not the problem. 

We overachieved at the end of last season.  We shouldn't have made it out of the 2nd round. 

Our roster isn't significantly improved this year.  A coach change wouldn't make us any better.