Author Topic: Knicks (47-32) at Celtics (62-17) Game #80 4/11/24  (Read 5157 times)

Re: Knicks (47-32) at Celtics (62-17) Game #80 4/11/24
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2024, 04:33:38 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
am I the only one not worried? looks like celtics are playing half speed trying not to get injured since theres nothing to play for which is why the product looks bad. not any sort of bad sign or omen of things to come.

if theres anything to criticize, its why is Joe even playing them if this is the mindset?

what benefit is there to putting the starters out there if they are going to treat these as a pickup game?

« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2024, 06:55:11 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 177
am I the only one not worried? looks like celtics are playing half speed trying not to get injured since theres nothing to play for which is why the product looks bad. not any sort of bad sign or omen of things to come.

if theres anything to criticize, its why is Joe even playing them if this is the mindset?

what benefit is there to putting the starters out there if they are going to treat these as a pickup game?

You could be absolutely right and they could just flip a switch the minute the playoffs start but to be honest I’d rather our team not be developing bad habits and playing like hot garbage in meaningless games headed into the playoffs. It’s usually the teams playing meaningful games at the end of the season that play well to start the playoffs.

« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2024, 07:39:15 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

I’m not worried. I’m excited for the playoffs - can’t wait. I don’t think the team we’ve seen the last couple of games is the team we’ll see in the playoffs. 
As far as the reason for playing their regulars I think it has to do partly with the NBA rule that forces teams to justify resting its best players and doesn't allow multiple healthy stars to sit out, AND that they want players in game shape for the playoffs.  The only way to maintain game shape is to play some semblance of competitive basketball. 

« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2024, 08:41:59 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I just don’t understand why all the starters are playing.  They just got through a game where Giannis hurt himself.  The most important thing is health going into the playoffs.  So if they’re just going to go half-speed, why play them at all?  Let the end of the bench guys get more run and game experience

« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2024, 09:00:43 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I just don’t understand why all the starters are playing.  They just got through a game where Giannis hurt himself.  The most important thing is health going into the playoffs.  So if they’re just going to go half-speed, why play them at all?  Let the end of the bench guys get more run and game experience

They could get hurt in practice too.  We don’t need our guys out of shape when the playoffs start because they haven’t played in several weeks.  That said, I would be shocked if last night wasn’t it for the top 6 during the regular season.

« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2024, 09:22:30 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Part of the problem is if the top 6 don’t play, that leaves only 7 available bodies. Two way guys and Walsh are playing in Maine for the championship. Only 1 PG

« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2024, 09:32:38 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Yeah, rest vs. rust.  This debate happens every season in every sport.  What this last couple of games has accomplished though is not only has our team lost their rhythm, but we have given both the Knicks and the Bucks a boost in confidence.  They are both feeling better about themselves after these games.

I don't know the answer, it just comes with the territory of clinching early.  The Bucks and Knicks are fighting to hold on to seeding.  The Celtics aren't.  MIL has a banged up Giannis now, so should they have bubble-wrapped him?  There is no sure way to handle this.  If you play, you can get hurt.  If you rest, you lose your mojo.

I am not all that worried about this.  They should be able to get their mojo back once the playoffs start.  But there is no reversing the confidence that NYK and MIL now have if they face us.

« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2024, 10:04:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, rest vs. rust.  This debate happens every season in every sport.  What this last couple of games has accomplished though is not only has our team lost their rhythm, but we have given both the Knicks and the Bucks a boost in confidence.  They are both feeling better about themselves after these games.

I don't know the answer, it just comes with the territory of clinching early.  The Bucks and Knicks are fighting to hold on to seeding.  The Celtics aren't.  MIL has a banged up Giannis now, so should they have bubble-wrapped him?  There is no sure way to handle this.  If you play, you can get hurt.  If you rest, you lose your mojo.

I am not all that worried about this.  They should be able to get their mojo back once the playoffs start.  But there is no reversing the confidence that NYK and MIL now have if they face us.

Yeah, it's a tough debate.

I would prefer the team stay in rhythm.  There's plenty of rest built into the schedule, and ironically being rusty possibly leads to *less* rest, as the team might struggle to put away an inferior opponent.

But, there are no clear cut answers.  A couple of years ago, we were cruising heading into the second to last week of the regular season, and then Timelord got injured.  We just saw Giannis go down. If one of our guys got injured in a meaningless game, there would be hell to pay.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2024, 10:45:37 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

Then wouldn't it be better if this team had to fight for the #1 seed than say claiming it 10-15 games before the season ends. It keeps the team running and energized, with something to fight for.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2024, 10:49:14 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Then wouldn't it be better if this team had to fight for the #1 seed than say claiming it 10-15 games before the season ends. It keeps the team running and energized, with something to fight for.

We're 13 games up on the Bucks.  How do you think we should have strategized during the regular season?  Intentionally drop another 11 or 12 games?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2024, 11:26:06 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
On the rest vs. rust debate.  Ever since the play-in tournament started, I've been hoping top seeds would adjust how they finish out the season.

Every single team's final regular season game will be played this Sunday, and for a while now, team's with their playoff spot secured typically take that game off.  But now because of the play-in, that means teams seeded 1-6 won't play again until the following Saturday/Sunday.  That's a week off for them all.

For the 3/6 and 4/5 match ups, not a big deal because they'll all have the same amount of rest/rust.

For the 2/7 match up, it's not as big of a deal, because #7 will be secured on Tuesday, so they're still going into the playoffs with 3-4 days rest.

But for the 1/8 match up (which I think will always start on Sunday due to the final play-in being on a Friday).  The #8 seed will go into the playoffs having played twice in the last week, and coming off at least 1 win (possibly 2).  Theoretically they should be most in sync, not at all rusty, which would give them best chance to steal Game 1, especially when going against a team who hasn't played in more than a week.

Based on FLCeltsFan next game thread, all the starters are questionable for today.  If they sit out Sunday too, that will be 9 days off before Game 1.  Taking today's game off makes sense (since it's a back-to-back), but I hope the team goes hard on Sunday, just to help gear up for the playoffs.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2024, 11:30:33 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
On the rest vs. rust debate.  Ever since the play-in tournament started, I've been hoping top seeds would adjust how they finish out the season.

Every single team's final regular season game will be played this Sunday, and for a while now, team's with their playoff spot secured typically take that game off.  But now because of the play-in, that means teams seeded 1-6 won't play again until the following Saturday/Sunday.  That's a week off for them all.

For the 3/6 and 4/5 match ups, not a big deal because they'll all have the same amount of rest/rust.

For the 2/7 match up, it's not as big of a deal, because #7 will be secured on Tuesday, so they're still going into the playoffs with 3-4 days rest.

But for the 1/8 match up (which I think will always start on Sunday due to the final play-in being on a Friday).  The #8 seed will go into the playoffs having played twice in the last week, and coming off at least 1 win (possibly 2).  Theoretically they should be most in sync, not at all rusty, which would give them best chance to steal Game 1, especially when going against a team who hasn't played in more than a week.

Based on FLCeltsFan next game thread, all the starters are questionable for today.  If they sit out Sunday too, that will be 9 days off before Game 1.  Taking today's game off makes sense (since it's a back-to-back), but I hope the team goes hard on Sunday, just to help gear up for the playoffs.

I mean, that’s the issue, though. I was in the same frame of mind yesterday (see the early game thread), but then they came out and gave half-effort the entire game. Why would they be any more motivated to play against an awful Wizards team on Sunday if a nationally televised game against a division rival couldn’t even do that last night? If they’re going to come out and give half-effort again, honestly I’d prefer if they just sat and not risk injury. They’re not staying in any rhythm by going half-speed and not playing the right way.

« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2024, 11:40:41 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White

We're 13 games up on the Bucks.  How do you think we should have strategized during the regular season?  Intentionally drop another 11 or 12 games?

I guess that's true as well. I would've suggested load manage to the max, but would have been contradictory to the premise which is rust. The east is different this year with the C's just absolutely dominating while the second seed is far apart from the first seed. Idk, a tough choice. For me though, I'd always value health at the end of the day.

« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2024, 11:42:23 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White

I mean, that’s the issue, though. I was in the same frame of mind yesterday (see the early game thread), but then they came out and gave half-effort the entire game. Why would they be any more motivated to play against an awful Wizards team on Sunday if a nationally televised game against a division rival couldn’t even do that last night? If they’re going to come out and give half-effort again, honestly I’d prefer if they just sat and not risk injury. They’re not staying in any rhythm by going half-speed and not playing the right way.

I would hope on a Tuesday or Wednesday and Friday they go hard against each other in practice/drills. But don't go too hard to the point where you hurt your calf or sprain a wrist or roll an ankle, etc