Author Topic: Rondo's lack of consistent effort is our biggest issue  (Read 19882 times)

Re: Rondo's lack of consistent effort is our biggest issue
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 08:58:19 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Nope, he was among the most consistent players in the league to start the season and then got banged up and struggled and so did the team until Bradley returned

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 09:12:06 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No, it is not.

Celtics have enough ball handling and playmaking around Rondo to over come his down or off games.

The biggest issue is still the lack of quality big men.  When KG is off the floor or is having a down game, the Celtics have a bigger struggle to win. 

This is not about the talents or efforts of Rondo vs. KG. 

It is about the quality of the depth behind (or next) to them.

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 09:26:17 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Rondo's under a different level of scrutiny than any other player on the team.  As a huge Rondo fan, I'm just going to learn to accept this fact.

When KG gives up on a play at the rim and doesn't even try to contest, we ignore it because he's KG.  When Avery over commits out near half court, and the opposing player gets an easy lane to the rim, we ignore it because he's Avery Bradley.

My point is not to pick on those guys.  I love the way they play, it's just to point out the absurdity of the argument that Rondo takes games off.  If you are looking for it, you can find instances for every player in the league in every game they play where it looks like they took the play off.

Some day, Celtics fan's will realize how lucky we are to have such a transcendent talent as our point guard.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 09:32:01 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
I do wish Rondo was more consistent, but his inconsistency is massively overstated in the media and by fans. Rondo is not radically more inconsistent than other star players in the league; it is just "easier" to see when he has an off game because he isn't a scorer.

When Lebron or Kobe has an off game, they still score 15-20 points (because they huck up 20+ shots). Rondo doesn't score much anyway, and he is also smart enough not to keep shooting when he is having an off night, so he ends up scoring 7 points on 5 shots. To the casual observer, it "looks" like a worse game (even though Kobe going, for example, 10-25 is significantly worse for the team, even if he scores 20 points).

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 10:00:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I think he is very consistent is stirring up hate from guys who don't understand his value.  No one steps up to a big game anymore on the team more than him.   DJ got for the big games too.  Some guys play to the level of their opponents it is just the way it is folks.   Great when your playing against studs and sucks eggs when your playing scrubs.
Paul Pierce does, to say the least.

He really doesn't. I'd put Rondo's playoff stats up against Pierce's any day of the week. Paul scores more but that's about it.

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
We're talking a guy who has had about 25 triple doubles in his career.  Roughly 20 of them came in prime time games.  What does that tell you about him?  He plays when he feels like it.  He works his butt off for a full game when it suits him.  Imagine if he played at about 90% of what he did against the Heat this playoffs (because 100% is unsustainable). 

Before I hear excuses about a full 82 game season, look at KG.  He's like 20 years older than Rondo and plays balls to the wall every single minute of every single game he has ever played.  Imagine if Rondo had KGs energy and effort level.  He would have a triple double every three games.

I'm tired of seeing super lazy underachieving Rondo every game that isn't against CP3/Rose/DWill/Knicks/Heat/Lakers when Rondo suddenly turns into a top 5 player whenever he plays them.

Incredibly convoluted post which I apologize for but the point is Rondos lack of consistent effort is our problem.  If he played like he does in every prime time nationally shown game, we'd be WAY better off.

You see comments like this about Rondo here all the time, and they're absolute nonsense. Some idiot national broadcaster made a stupid comment about most of Rondo's triple doubles coming on national tv and all of his detractors repeat it on a regular basis.

Why do most of Rondo's triple doubles come on nationally televised games? Because ALL PLAYOFF GAMES ARE NATIONALLY TELEVISED, and Rondo has a ton of postseason triple doubles. No other reason. Checkout the all time triple double leaders in the league, they generally get 10%-20% of their triple doubles in the playoffs. Rondo gets about 45% of his in the playoffs, by far the most among those leaders. He still gets the points and assists during the season, just not the rebounds. Which is fine, he'd never make it through a season healthy if he tried for 10 rebounds every game.

But back to my point, I'm extremely confident that I could post Rondo's game by game stats for a few randomly selected months (just the numbers, not the opponent played) and you and everyone else who makes these claims would be unable to look at the numbers and pick out which games were on national tv and which games were played against top 5 point guards. They're complete myths propagated by people who assume they're true because they read them so often.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think he is very consistent is stirring up hate from guys who don't understand his value.  No one steps up to a big game anymore on the team more than him.   DJ got for the big games too.  Some guys play to the level of their opponents it is just the way it is folks.   Great when your playing against studs and sucks eggs when your playing scrubs.

He really doesn't. I'd put Rondo's playoff stats up against Pierce's any day of the week. Paul scores more but that's about it.
I don't know how you define "steps up".  To me, Paul Pierce has always stepped up in big games, and more specifically the "big time" of big games, when Rondo seems to take a back seat.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Rondo is going to be one of those players who isn't truely appreciated until he is gone.

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 10:42:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I don't know how you define "steps up".  To me, Paul Pierce has always stepped up in big games, and more specifically the "big time" of big games, when Rondo seems to take a back seat.

Paul's career numbers in the regular season are 22/6/4, 21/6/4 in the playoffs. Rondo's regular season numbers are 11/5/8, 15/6/9 in the playoffs. I think most definitions of "steps up" would favor Rondo. In terms of raw stats in the playoffs over the last 4 years, Paul is 20/6/3, Rondo is 16/7/10. Again, Rondo's numbers look pretty good.

And while you seem to evaluate players mainly on crunch time scoring, I think you're sleeping on what Rondo did in the playoffs last year or what he's done this year. Why shouldn't he take a back seat in the past, with the big three on the team? But he's been scoring more lately than he has in the past (while still doing things like getting assists and rebounds that "don't count as stepping up).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 10:50:55 AM by BballTim »

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 10:47:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
In ROndo 's defense, I suspect he is still playing hurt to some extent and just won't rest .  He just doesn't look right out there.  And he stands arounds now EVEN when he doesn't have the ball.  Makes me think he is gimp or not completely healed.

Doc needs to find out Rondos problem , which I suspect is more physical and this screw up your mental game too.

ROndo probally needs to rest a week and heal up.   

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
Rondo most games: 70%
Rondo during primetime/big headline games: 100%

KG most games: 95%
KG during primetime/big headline games: 100%

Lebron during most games: 100%
Lebron during primetime/big headline games:100%

And the only reason KG's effort goes down during normal games is because of his age and he has to be more careful about hurting himself.  Even then, his effort is consistently way higher than Rondos is.

Rondos' numbers across entire months are OBVIOUSLY going to be about the same.  Im talking individual games.  When he plays against the Raptors it's clearly not the same as when he plays against the Knicks.

How many times the past few years have we lost to garbage teams like the Raptors (or at least had a close game) and then blew out contenders like the Heat/Lakers/Magic/Cavs?  It's all effort.  Part of that was Ray/Pierce/the whole teams arrogance, but a LARGE portion of that stemmed from Rondo thinking the other team was below him and not worth his time.

Rondo exudes arrogance, which I love.  But I hate how that arrogance translates into laziness against lesser teams.  Whether that because he doesn't think he needs to try his hardest to win or because he doesn't value the game much and wants to save himself, he needs to put the pedal to the metal and play at least CLOSE to all out.

This lazy jog back on transition when we see Lee on a full out sprint every single time needs to stop.  Lee stops a fast break by himself usually about once, maybe twice a game on pure effort and sprinting back while Rondo trots back and watches.

Our perimeter d has gotten better and as a result our defense has gotten way better.  Why?  Because Bradley actually fights through screens and doesn't let guys blow by him because a steal attempt is easier than trying to keep the guy in front and contesting a shot like Rondo does.

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 01:49:29 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288

Paul's career numbers in the regular season are 22/6/4, 21/6/4 in the playoffs. Rondo's regular season numbers are 11/5/8, 15/6/9 in the playoffs. I think most definitions of "steps up" would favor Rondo. In terms of raw stats in the playoffs over the last 4 years, Paul is 20/6/3, Rondo is 16/7/10. Again, Rondo's numbers look pretty good.

And while you seem to evaluate players mainly on crunch time scoring, I think you're sleeping on what Rondo did in the playoffs last year or what he's done this year. Why shouldn't he take a back seat in the past, with the big three on the team? But he's been scoring more lately than he has in the past (while still doing things like getting assists and rebounds that "don't count as stepping up).

Kind of a stupid argument.

They both have stepped up on big games in the playoffs and in crunch time.

Throw KG's name in there as well for stepping and in crunch time.

Only thing I will say about Rondo is that in general he has repeatably had favorable matchups in the playoffs

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 02:08:54 PM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
It's an issue that will cost us games we could have won in the regular season, sure. But in terms of issues that will be the reason why we don't win a championship, I feel that things like offensive stagnation will be more important.

To the poster that said KG goes 95% reg. season while Lebron goes 100%, I disagree. KG% goes 100% in regular season, but just for 30 minutes as opposed to 38 in the playoffs.

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
You're telling me Rondo has a more favorable matchup in the playoffs being guarded by DWade, Mario Chalmers, and Lebron James than he does against Goran Dragic, Kirk Heinrich, and Kyle Lowry?

In the playoffs defenses are FAR better.  Yet in the playoffs we see Rondo have a triple double every three games.  We see him drop 44 points.  We see 15-15-15 games.  In the regular season we see 10-10 with mediocre defense where he gambles and doesn't fight through picks or hustle in transition.  That is not a superstar.  Playoff Rondo is a superstar.  Regular season Rondo is a borderline top 5 PG. 

We need superstar Rondo if we want to be a truly great team.

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 02:14:39 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

like when pierce fouled out in game 7of the Philadelphia series? you're stuck a bit in 2007-10  but I know Paul pierce is a gamer