Author Topic: The Official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets Season Watch Thread (20-62, #1)  (Read 348537 times)

Re: The official 2016-2017 Brooklyn Nets season watch thread
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2016, 08:34:27 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
The Heat matched as well, outstanding news.

Yep. I simply just cannot see this being any better than a bottom-three team with both Philly and LA improving significantly (from where they were at, that is).

I still think the Suns will be puke this year but you seem to be right.

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2016, 09:47:16 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA
Free agent guard Greivis Vasquez has agreed to a one-year deal with Brooklyn, league sources tell @TheVertical.

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2016, 09:52:19 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA
Free agent guard Greivis Vasquez has agreed to a one-year deal with Brooklyn, league sources tell @TheVertical.

I guess this was something like plan F for the Nets.

I think I just hit the fantasy basketball jackpot with Greivis. He puts up great stats when given serious PT on crappy teams!

« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2016, 02:10:18 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Blazers resigns Crabbe and Heat matches Tyler Johnson offer sheet

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2016, 02:26:38 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Can someone make me feel a little better?

What good is a watch thread if all that's gonna end up happening is Danny picking another player who can't shoot and isn't gonna be productive for us, but who will play defense, ignite the wet dreams of sports journalists, and make guys like Tommy fall in love with them for their "hustle, grit, heart"? If Danny isn't ever gonna find any talent, what good is the watch thread?

We've had 2 top 6 picks in the last 3 drafts, and they both look like they will end up as role players at best (though I admit to jumping the gun a bit based on Jaylen's summer league thus far). I don't wanna draft 2 more role players with these picks. These picks are our best assets. They're the only thing that keeps me happy about this team's future, quite frankly. We aren't winning anything any time soon, and once the Warriors and Cavaliers fall off, teams like the Blazers, Sixers, Wolves, and Lakers will have their young talent in their prime, ready to dominate. Meanwhile, we will have Isaiah and Al on the wrong side of 30, and guys like Avery and Jae not far behind.

Without these picks, the future is rather bleak. We're kinda stuck between elite and decent, and unless Danny miraculously hits on these next 2 picks, it's looking like we will be stuck in this state for the foreseeable future.

I've been what some here would call a "Danny Apologist" for quite some time, but his drafting really has me p---ed. I can't support him like I used to.

I'm just hoping the many hours we spend on this thread don't go to waste for a role player who can't score but plays defense.

Sorry for the overreactions to summer league thus far. I just had to get this out there.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2016, 02:49:38 AM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

What good is a watch thread if all that's gonna end up happening is Danny picking another player who can't shoot and isn't gonna be productive for us, but who will play defense, ignite the wet dreams of sports journalists, and make guys like Tommy fall in love with them for their "hustle, grit, heart"? If Danny isn't ever gonna find any talent, what good is the watch thread?

We've had 2 top 6 picks in the last 3 drafts, and they both look like they will end up as role players at best (though I admit to jumping the gun a bit based on Jaylen's summer league thus far). I don't wanna draft 2 more role players with these picks. These picks are our best assets. They're the only thing that keeps me happy about this team's future, quite frankly. We aren't winning anything any time soon, and once the Warriors and Cavaliers fall off, teams like the Blazers, Sixers, Wolves, and Lakers will have their young talent in their prime, ready to dominate. Meanwhile, we will have Isaiah and Al on the wrong side of 30, and guys like Avery and Jae not far behind.

Without these picks, the future is rather bleak. We're kinda stuck between elite and decent, and unless Danny miraculously hits on these next 2 picks, it's looking like we will be stuck in this state for the foreseeable future.

I've been what some here would call a "Danny Apologist" for quite some time, but his drafting really has me p---ed. I can't support him like I used to.

I'm just hoping the many hours we spend on this thread don't go to waste for a role player who can't score but plays defense.

Sorry for the overreactions to summer league thus far. I just had to get this out there.
1st off yes you are completely jumping the gun on Jaylen Brown. This draft was a 2 player draft with a big dropoff. Physical limitation project Hield and Murray as role players and Bender and Chriss look a long way from stardom. The other choice would have been Dunn and I would have preferred him but he's older and has a concerning injury history. He's no slam dunk star either. If he was then he would have gone 2nd.

Next year's draft is deeper in terms of star potential so Ainge is likely to land a guy with Ingram type ceiling even if the pick drops to 5 or 6.

Marcus Smarts offense has been disappointing but the other obvious picks there were Vonleh and Randle. Neither are stars.

Don't judge Brown yet. He's got the work ethic and athleticism to make huge improvements to his game.

If there's one thing to be excited about its got to be the Nets '17 swap. Experts are projecting it to be super deep with star potential.

Stars are tough to come by. That's key to realize. The beauty of the Nets picks is that we might get a couple stabs at the top 5 while still building a contender. Remember he only needs to hit on one pick and we are golden.

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2016, 02:54:58 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
This overreaction to Brown's summer league games is hilarious.

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2016, 02:55:10 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

You can bet that Danny would've taken Ingram if the C's had the 2nd pick.  So, this thread is for rooting for the C's to land in the part of the draft that takes any guesswork out of the equation for Danny.  That should make you feel better about this thread, at least.

I haven't written off Jaylen Brown by any stretch.  He seems to be a decent spot up shooter.  His stroke, for instance, looks light years better than Marcus Smart.  Jaylen is just having a very hard time finishing.  But, he looks like he can get his shot off at will and get into the lane.  I think he's something like 5-26 in his three games from the field, but he's probably missed 12 shots in the lane running towards the basket.  1) That's hard to do 2) That isn't really 'shooting' in my book, but rather finishing.  As other posters have mentioned, he seems to have fumblitis, but if/when he starts putting those balls in the bucket, he still has star potential in my book.  I'm not happy about his performance but his potential is undeniable. 

Serious question.  Can someone point out a player who was able to blow by his defenders regularly but was just such a bad finisher that he was a bust?  I can't think of any. 

My guess is Jaylen is pressing a bit and overthinking things and he'll settle down and start to impress us before too long.

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2016, 04:07:14 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Pump the brakes, don't worry. Every year there is an overreaction to summer league. It isn't like the NBA at all, the level and prep is so much lower. It is primed for individual play and not team play. Hence how Simmons can look LeBron like so far. It's not representative of who they will really be.

Secondly you seem to also be down on Marcus too? I've never understood that. If anything he's improved more than some of those drafted ahead of him. This year is a big year for him, look for him to step up his responsibility in the wake of Turner's departure.

Who knows where Brown ends up but don't lose faith just because we haven't had the opportunity to select a slam dunk prospect. Aside from Towns, you have to go back to Davis to find one. The way we are building has a far more solid ground beneath us. Players will appreciate that. I believe reputation matters and everything Ainge is doing is building that.

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2016, 08:08:25 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Nets current standpoint makes me feel this pick can turn Golden. If Sac decides to tank as Gay wants out, Id give um something built around  2017 n 2018 picks n Smart for those two

« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2016, 11:42:45 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
You guys think Brooklyn will offer Waiters? Anyone willing to put on offer sheet on him for that matter? lol

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2016, 11:53:04 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
You guys think Brooklyn will offer Waiters? Anyone willing to put on offer sheet on him for that matter? lol

BKN should sign him to an offer sheet.  If for no other reason than to curry favor with agents.

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2016, 11:55:20 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
OKC have Oladipo and the other guy at sg now....so offering or matching for Waiters for big money does not make sense....

I think they did well as far as drafting Caris Lavert....they did draft him 20th but he is a legit player and his play speaks for itself.....just needs to get healthy.

Okafor was there on the table for the 3rd pick.....wish we traded down with the Wolves for Lavine and the #5 for Dunn and then traded the #5 for Okafor. At least Lavine and Okafor we know can play and have upside still/youth.

DRafting Jaylen with the #3 when there are: Stanley Johnson, Winslow, and even Jabari and others makes me scratch my head a bit.

I think people are angry at the value added based on the value of the picks.....they just did not equal eachother and DA could have done a much better job. Jaylen and Yab are good players and no ones angry at those players or that we selected them, IMO people see that we could have traded down and selected those players while also getting more assets and VALUE

« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2016, 12:02:17 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

It would be excellent to see Waiters eat up 15-20 million of Brooklyn's cap space each year, while eating himself into the forward position and averaging 38% from the floor.

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2016, 12:16:07 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It would be excellent to see Waiters eat up 15-20 million of Brooklyn's cap space each year, while eating himself into the forward position and averaging 38% from the floor.

I think Brookyln should keep throwing money at restricted free agents.  Either a) they finally get to keep one, or b) they suck up a lot of teams' cap room for next summer.  Tyler Zeller is waiting by the phone!

Someone should sign Moe Harkless.  Blazers have to be out of money, since they need to keep something for McCollum.  Heck, they're encroaching on luxury tax territory at this point.