Author Topic: Not a fan of Lavar but Lonzo Ball is going to be a good player  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not rooting for him or anything, especially because he wears the purple and yellow.  But watching him more and more (due to interest in watching IT), can't help but say he is quite a talent

He has a few "it" factors over Tatum and may end up becoming a better player down the line.

Its too bad he didn't come in for a workout because of his dad.   Who knows what may have happened after a session

IT and Lonzo at the moment have a strange chemistry but it is throwing teams off.  SG/PG look annoyed chasing speedy IT4 around and Lonzo is a difficult matchup for PG/SG due to his pg skills.  At any point either can become the PG or SG on the floor.   Prior to the draft I thought, this duo could be a headache for opponents to play against.   Lonzo and Irving would have been interesting also

Just rambling a bit and still think highly of Tatum.  But Lonzo is also going to be a good one

Re: Not a fan of Lavar but Lonzo Ball is going to be a good player
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He has a few "it" factors over Tatum and may end up becoming a better player down the line.

They're two totally different players, though. Position, build, skillset. Completely different.

The Lakers got they guy they wanted. The Celtics got the guy they wanted. The Sixers got the guy they wanted. Fans need to stop comparing them all and move on.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 01:46:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

They're two totally different players, though. Position, build, skillset. Completely different.

The Lakers got they guy they wanted. The Celtics got the guy they wanted. The Sixers got the guy they wanted. Fans need to stop comparing them all and move on.

incomplete....

we don't know what would have happened if Lonzo and Jackson came in for a workout

Fakers on the other hand got to assess all the prospects in their radar

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

incomplete....

we don't know what would have happened if Lonzo and Jackson came in for a workout

Realistically, how much does a workout impact the draft? There's tons of film on all of these guys and access to high school and college coaches to get information on training habits and personality issues. If a team really liked a player, I don't know if a non-workout would completely bomb it's willingness to draft him.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 02:10:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

incomplete....

Realistically, how much does a workout impact the draft? There's tons of film on all of these guys and access to high school and college coaches to get information on training habits and personality issues. If a team really liked a player, I don't know if a non-workout would completely bomb it's willingness to draft him.

There was no clearcut #1 or #2 or #3 in this draft

so yes everything counts.  From film, individual workout or even multiple workouts

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Celtics got the guy they wanted.

Exactly...TP

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 02:43:49 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

so yes everything counts.  From film, individual workout or even multiple workouts

This is a bit of revisionist history. Markelle Fultz was pretty much the consensus #1 pick, with Lonzo largely considered the #2 pick. This is why Danny felt so comfortable moving from #1 to #3 - he knew his guy would be there.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 02:53:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

incomplete....

Doubt their workouts would have changed our choice, particularly with the added pick.

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
What would we have done with him here long-term? At the time we had IT, and if we had drafted Ball, I would assume we would not trade for Kyrie. We got Kyrie and Tatum and a future lottery pick. I much prefer that to Ball and IT.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 04:34:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I had to check the op's post date cause thought this was an old post. Ball has been trash while Tatum has been top 3 in rookies all year. What is this post bait?

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 05:06:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This is a bit of revisionist history. Markelle Fultz was pretty much the consensus #1 pick, with Lonzo largely considered the #2 pick. This is why Danny felt so comfortable moving from #1 to #3 - he knew his guy would be there.
TP...absolutely correct. The idea that there pretty much wasn't a consensus is just out and out fake news.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:39:44 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 08:11:34 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

incomplete....

Doubt their workouts would have changed our choice, particularly with the added pick.
I bet the Fultz workout and interview did change Ainge’s mind.  I bet he’d be a Celtic if he aced them.

I think Ball and Jackson are both awesome prospects and I think Ainge would have considered both of them if they wanted to play in Boston.  I don’t believe that Ainge knew that Tatum was his man prior to all the predraft stuff.  Basically, Tatum didn’t give Ainge a hard time like Ball and Jackson and he probably showed a much better shot and mental ability than Fultz.

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

incomplete....

I bet the Fultz workout and interview did change Ainge’s mind.  I bet he’d be a Celtic if he aced them.

I think Ball and Jackson are both awesome prospects and I think Ainge would have considered both of them if they wanted to play in Boston. I don’t believe that Ainge knew that Tatum was his man prior to all the predraft stuff.  Basically, Tatum didn’t give Ainge a hard time like Ball and Jackson and he probably showed a much better shot and mental ability than Fultz.
did ainge know anyone would be "his man" without predraft evaluations, interviews, films, etc?

but everything i read said ainge had tatum as his number one choice at the time of the draft.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva