Author Topic: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10  (Read 47926 times)

Re: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2019, 12:08:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
His contract is an opt out, correct?  Can we trade him before the expiration of the opt out?  For example, if he tells Danny that he plans to opt out and explore FA.  Could we trade him to NOP (along with Tatum, etc.) and then he opts out effectively clearing salary for what will be a rebuilding team?

Not saying this is likely, just wondering how it works.

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2019, 12:13:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
His contract is an opt out, correct?  Can we trade him before the expiration of the opt out?  For example, if he tells Danny that he plans to opt out and explore FA.  Could we trade him to NOP (along with Tatum, etc.) and then he opts out effectively clearing salary for what will be a rebuilding team?

Not saying this is likely, just wondering how it works.

I'm fairly certain this is not possible.  I don't think a trade involving a player with an option can be completed until the option has been picked up.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Maybe he should explore free agency and try and get an 80m-100m deal for four years. We should be prepared he could leave if we try and lowball him. Whether he loves Boston or not will be irrelevant if we insult what he feels his value is. I am also not comfortable at 80 plus million either for him.

This is also true. I wouldn’t lowball him I’d ask him what he wanted to be honest.
There are young and up and coming teams that can afford to max out Al for 2-3 years...
I c an think of Sacramento, Brooklyn, Lakers and maybe Dallas .... these 4 teams might strike out on the big free agents so Al can be a consolation price...
I can see the Kings offering Al 2 years $70M... they have dollars to spend and no max free agent is signing with them.

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm going to ramble a bit.

Rumors that Horford could opt out of his 30 mil and take 3 years making 20 mil per year.  I also saw something that said Horford could potentially take a 5 year deal starting at 17 mil.

Before you scoff at 5 years...  FWIW, Al Horford will be 33 years old next season.   Horford is often called Tim Duncan-lite because of his style of play.  If he ages similar to Duncan, the final year of his 5 year contract would put him at the same age Duncan was at (37) when he contributed to the Spurs 2014 championship (Duncan was great in that championship run).

For the sake or argument, let's just pencil in trading Marcus Smart (12.5 mil) + Jaylen Brown (6.5mil) + Tatum (7.8 mil) + picks (27 mil outgoing) for Anthony Davis (27 mil incoming).

That would leave you with:

- Horford - 17 mil
- Davis - 27 mil
- Hayward - 32.7 mil
- Baynes - 5.4 mil (if he opts in to his final year)
- Yabu - 3.1 mil
- Williams - 1.9 mi

For this exercise, we are letting Rozier, Morris, Theis, Semi and Wanamaker walk.

That's a total of 87 mil on the books with a salary cap set at 109 mil.

My preference is absolutely to keep Kyrie Irving.  Obviously, using his bird rights to extend him pushes us over the salary cap.  But for fun, let's just say the fans successfully drive him out of town and Kyrie decides to leave.   

Technically, you could be looking at around 22 mil in cap space here to try to sign a replacement.  Probably not enough to get a guy like Kemba Walker, right?  But say you could find some teams to absorb the salaries of Yabu and Baynes (freeing up another 8.5 mil)... technically that could leave you with around 30 mil in cap space to find a star free agent to pair with Davis, Horford and Hayward.   

The other interesting path here is... the team could consider salary dumping Hayward on a team like the Cavs.  Cleveland was rumored to have some interest.  I'm not going to get into a debate about whether we'd need to include picks to salary dump Hayward, but Cleveland might be able to absorb some or all of his salary.  They have the non-guaranteed JR Smith deal they can trade.   Shedding some/all of Hayward's salary could technically put Boston in position to add a free agent star to pair with Davis/Horford if Kyrie leaves.  Meaning, you could make a pitch to someone like Kawhi to try and pair him with Davis.

One more semi-unrelated thing worth keeping in mind.  If ultimately Kyrie decides he's leaving, it will be in our best interest to work a sign-and-trade.  Say, for instance, he decides to go to the Knicks.  Even if the Knicks have the cap space, it's in our best interest to convince them to do a sign-and-trade.  New York doesn't have to give us any assets... we just need to get back a fat trade exception.    Say we end up with a 35 mil trade exception, we then don't have to worry about letting guys like Rozier and Morris walk.  If there's any picks left over after the Davis trade, we could try to trade the fat 35 mil trade exception + picks for a player like Mike Conley (on the books for 32.5 mil next season for the rebuilding Grizzlies). 

That trade package would be too much to offer if Kyrie walks. Danny may still want to take a shot with AD, but can't see him gutting the youth to that extent. 

« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2019, 06:16:51 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Al Horford stated that he wants to contend for a championship and he hasn't won one title yet and wants to start doing so.

Think he'll return to Boston? Or does he go to the Warriors on the cheap?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »

Offline okiaaammm

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
He will be the perfect C in the pair with Davis!

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2019, 09:44:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Al Horford stated that he wants to contend for a championship and he hasn't won one title yet and wants to start doing so.

Think he'll return to Boston? Or does he go to the Warriors on the cheap?
I don't know why he'd go to Golden State if he wants to win, considering they're likely losing Durant and have a slim possibility of losing Klay.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Al Horford not exercising his player option
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2019, 10:31:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So as expected he will be a FA along with Kyrie. This was per Woj's twitter.

Woj also indicated that Boston and Al are interested in a new longer term deal as has been discussed a lot here and in the media. Hopefully the C's can get that done, next season would be real ugly without Al.

Edit: Here is the link to Woj's story

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27000073/sources-horford-unrestricted-free-agent
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:48:07 AM by Fafnir »

Re: Al Horford not exercising his player option
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2019, 10:33:08 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Is this different from restructuring his contract?
- LilRip

« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2019, 10:33:17 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
So just means he’ll probably sign a 3 year extension?

« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2019, 10:34:44 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Is this different from restructuring his contract?
It means his current contract is over, but as far as signing a 3 year deal for $60-$75 million to keep him in Boston, no this is the first step to that.

If he had exercised his player option he'd be paid $30.1 million this coming year and been a FA next year.

« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2019, 10:35:05 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hopefully, he & the Celtics can work something out that benefits both of them.  Would hate to see him go.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2019, 10:35:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
So just means he’ll probably sign a 3 year extension?
Seems like it based on the Woj tweet and other reporters comments.

But other teams are going to call and see if he has any interest in moving since BOS appears to be turning the keys over to Tatum/Brown.

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2019, 10:35:50 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Means he either signs a new contract up to the $37.5M max salary
Or goes somewhere else

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2019, 10:37:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Hopefully, he & the Celtics can work something out that benefits both of them.  Would hate to see him go.
Yup.

My read is that this means they've come to some agreement. It was floated that the C's/Horford might move back the option date if they were still negotiating terms on a new deal. The fact that he didn't could be a sign they've worked it out.

Or it could just mean Al wants to maximize his money now whether with the C's or someone else. Remember we got him because Atlanta offered him a 5 year deal that wasn't his max and he wasn't happy they wouldn't go all out for him.