Author Topic: Is Smart in Steven's doghouse?  (Read 16619 times)

Re: Is Smart in Steven's doghouse?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 11:16:42 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Maybe Stevens is starting to realize that Marcus Smart is no better than Marcus Banks.

Why are you such a blithering idiot? You are the Marcus Banks of posters.

At least Banks' shot hit the back of the rim.  Ugh.

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 11:21:21 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Maybe Stevens is starting to realize that Marcus Smart is no better than Marcus Banks.
Booooo

We get it, you miss rondo!

But ya, marcus smart, who is only a rookie, is no better than marcus banks

And since we know this for a FACT we should get rid of him asap. Trade him for a second rounder
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2015, 11:22:37 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Doc Rivers: Celtics’ Marcus Smart Reminds Me Of ‘A Better Version Of Me’

BOSTON — Doc Rivers has kept tabs on the Celtics since leaving Boston two summers ago, and he’s liked what he’s seen in rookie point guard Marcus Smart.

“He reminds me of me — a better version of me,” the Los Angeles Clippers coach said before Sunday’s matchup with the Celtics at TD Garden. “I’m serious. I really mean that. I think, a better version, and I’m not kidding.”

Rivers enjoyed a 14-year run as an NBA point guard before transitioning into the coaching ranks, even earning an All-Star nod during the 1987-88 season. Smart and Rivers weren’t identical players (the former is roughly 40 pounds heavier, for one), but the former Celtics coach notices a number of similarities between their respective games.

“He’s a defensive guard, but he can score — that’s the difference,” Rivers said. “He’s a big guard, he’s not a pure point. He never really played point in college. He’s got a strong body, he’s tough and he likes defense. He’s a really good defensive player. On the ball, off the ball. Yet he’s making plays, too, offensively. I like him a lot.”

Smart’s love for all things defense is a trait few NBA rookies possess.

“It’s rare,” Rivers said. “(Celtics guard Avery Bradley) was a little like that. Marcus is a little different than (Bradley). He’s good. I didn’t know him much (before the season). I knew he was going high in the draft, so I knew I didn’t have to look at him much. But watching him this summer, you’re watching him and thinking, ‘Ooh, he’s going to be good.’ ”

It also helps that one of the better games of Smart’s young career came against Rivers’ Clippers. Smart finished with 14 points and seven assists off the bench Jan. 19 in a 101-92 Celtics loss at Staples Center.

http://nesn.com/2015/03/doc-rivers-celtics-marcus-smart-reminds-me-of-a-better-version-of-me/

Well, that's it, then.  I'm done with Smart, lol (sarcasm). ;D Honestly, though, if Doc Rivers is the best we can hope for, uh, we might be better off just trading him now, lol. ;D

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2015, 11:23:36 PM »

Offline lewis35

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think he might just be hitting a rookie wall.  His offense is a work in progress.  It takes a while for some players.  Just look at Avery Bradley.  I think Smarts ceiling is higher than Bradley's.  Bradley was a mess his rookie year and look at him now.

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2015, 11:25:17 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
So how long until Marcus Smart is traded? He's starting to become pathetic now.

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2015, 11:27:31 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72

BOSTON — Doc Rivers has kept tabs on the Celtics since leaving Boston two summers ago, and he’s liked what he’s seen in rookie point guard Marcus Smart.

“He reminds me of me — a better version of me,” the Los Angeles Clippers coach said before Sunday’s matchup with the Celtics at TD Garden. “I’m serious. I really mean that. I think, a better version, and I’m not kidding.”

Rivers enjoyed a 14-year run as an NBA point guard before transitioning into the coaching ranks, even earning an All-Star nod during the 1987-88 season. Smart and Rivers weren’t identical players (the former is roughly 40 pounds heavier, for one), but the former Celtics coach notices a number of similarities between their respective games.

“He’s a defensive guard, but he can score — that’s the difference,” Rivers said. “He’s a big guard, he’s not a pure point. He never really played point in college. He’s got a strong body, he’s tough and he likes defense. He’s a really good defensive player. On the ball, off the ball. Yet he’s making plays, too, offensively. I like him a lot.”

“It’s rare,” Rivers said. “(Celtics guard Avery Bradley) was a little like that. Marcus is a little different than (Bradley). He’s good. I didn’t know him much (before the season). I knew he was going high in the draft, so I knew I didn’t have to look at him much. But watching him this summer, you’re watching him and thinking, ‘Ooh, he’s going to be good.’ ”

It also helps that one of the better games of Smart’s young career came against Rivers’ Clippers. Smart finished with 14 points and seven assists off the bench Jan. 19 in a 101-92 Celtics loss at Staples Center.

http://nesn.com/2015/03/doc-rivers-celtics-marcus-smart-reminds-me-of-a-better-version-of-me/

Well, that's it, then.  I'm done with Smart, lol (sarcasm). ;D Honestly, though, if Doc Rivers is the best we can hope for, uh, we might be better off just trading him now, lol. ;D

Doc was a very very good player! Ill sign up for it now

Its funny though, because Doc barely took any three's and shot 47% his 1st season, and his 1st 5 seasons , pretty much the same deal.

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
How about Smart, Young and our first for the kid from Ohio State.

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2015, 11:28:15 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
I think he might just be hitting a rookie wall.  His offense is a work in progress.  It takes a while for some players.  Just look at Avery Bradley.  I think Smarts ceiling is higher than Bradley's.  Bradley was a mess his rookie year and look at him now.

Pretty much, he willl be fine

Although i dont want him to become like bradley, who is basically a jump shooter.

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2015, 11:28:46 PM »

Offline lewis35

• Xavier Tillman
Year two will tell us a lot more about who he is/what he may become. 

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2015, 11:31:25 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Trolling?

Not sure if serious

Half of his game is all NBA worthy

Everyone wants instant results..

Patience pays off

Enjoy the ride now, because we'll all be having heart attacks when we are contending again
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2015, 11:32:52 PM »

Offline lewis35

• Xavier Tillman

Pretty much, he willl be fine

Although i dont want him to become like bradley, who is basically a jump shooter.

I agree,  he was much more of a slasher in college,  let's hope he gets back to that.  I think improving his handle will go a long way towards helping him be a more effective slasher.

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 11:37:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Doc was a very very good player! Ill sign up for it now

Its funny though, because Doc barely took any three's and shot 47% his 1st season, and his 1st 5 seasons , pretty much the same deal.

The game was much less three oriented in Doc's day.

But, yes, he's probably underrated as a player (mostly because he was much more successful as a coach).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 11:38:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Coming to say the same thing about he rookie wall,but define it differently.  NBA rookies have never played so much basketball in their life, not by a large margin.  It's really common for rookies who've had major minutes all year long to fade down the stretch.  This is a lot of nothing to be concerned about.  Smart's mentally and physically exhausted.  Stevens will try to get him to fight through it, but sometimes that means easing up a bit first.

Smart has played the 6th-most minutes of all rookies, and 5th-most per game.  He's the only rookie in the top-10 of minutes per game who's in a playoff race, which is much more tiring than playing on an assured lottery team.  We've probably seen the best a rookie Smart can offer, but long-term, there's little to worry about, unless you just like worrying.

EDIT: Bogdanovic is also top-10 in minutes on a playoff contender, but he's 25 and been a professional for years, so it's a little different.

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 11:39:22 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Coming to say the same thing about he rookie wall,but define it differently.  NBA rookies have never played so much basketball in their life, not by a large margin.  It's really common for rookies who've had major minutes all year long to fade down the stretch.  This is a lot of nothing to be concerned about.  Smart's mentally and physically exhausted.  Stevens will try to get him to fight through it, but sometimes that means easing up a bit first.

Smart has played the 6th-most minutes of all rookies, and 5th-most per game.  He's the only rookie in the top-10 of minutes per game who's in a playoff race, which is much more tiring than playing on an assured lottery team.  We've probably seen the best a rookie Smart can offer, but long-term, there's little to worry about, unless you just like worrying.

And he exerts energy on defense......And playing hard defense can kill your energy.

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2015, 11:42:06 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
It's early but put me in the camp that is now worried about Smart. All the hustle and heart won't matter if he can't score. He was much better at getting his own shot in college than he's shown so far.