Author Topic: Is Smart in Steven's doghouse?  (Read 16621 times)

Re: Is Smart in Steven's doghouse?
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 10:48:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Why do you want Smart to be the enforcer

Its the worst possible thing........

he will get destroyed coming to the basket on a drive one day if hes the enforcer........

EDIT: He doesnt go anywhere near the basket on offense , so maybe him being the enforcer isnt such a bad idea.

::) ::) ::)

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 10:48:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We are so bad on offense at times that he does not feel he can play Smart, heck sometimes Pressey is better than O than MS.  We all know that Smart plays d and wins most all 50/50 plays he is involved in.   With IT hurt and less than 100% it is hard to play him when he is not shooting well. 

He was 0-6 today and 0-3 from three.  I think it had less with CBS and more with Smart stinking today but that is just me.   When IT is healthy he can keep the team afloat offensively.

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 10:49:47 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think years from now we we going to learn that Stevens found Smart to be a difficult player to coach. I have zero evidence to this but just have a hunch given all the yoyoing of Smart in and out of the lineup. He is obviously not doing what Stevens expects from him and I know Stevens isn't cool with Smart's on the court dirty play at times that have gotten him Flagrants and ejections.

I think the problem with Stevens he wants to run a "good ol boy" team where he takes the players out for ice cream regardless if they win or lose like in little league.

I have no problem with Smart's play on the court.

What about all the dirty hits the Celts have taken from other players like DWade and Whiteside?
I agree completely, TP.
I think Stevens is a great coach, but his personality really contradicts Smarts. Smart plays with that fire. He wont hesitate to hit you and he hates losing. You can see it in his actions. He is very emotive. Stevens, on the other hand is very reserved. I think they can make it work and I think that it could be very valuable if Smart becomes a leader on the team to see his fire when you need energy and when things get hectic you will have the calming presence of Brad, but right now they arent exactly seeing eye to eye I dont think.

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 10:51:40 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110
Maybe Stevens is starting to realize that Marcus Smart is no better than Marcus Banks.

Why are you such a blithering idiot? You are the Marcus Banks of posters.

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 10:53:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Smart and AB were horrible today. CBS had no choice but to put PRessey in.  We still got killed

The thing I don't like these days is how much CBS favors Crowder. Crowder plays good D but his offense or shots are questionable.    He started out taking open 3's, open shots.   Then he made some clutch 3's . And now he is taking shots he has minimal chance of making. Even with guys in his face.   I'm not a fan of Crowder doing this but then worse CBS just leaving him out there

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2015, 10:53:52 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Smart isn't playing well enough to earn more minutes.   He's become a huge albatross on offense for the starters right now.

Arguably, he shouldn't even be starting at this point.

Blame it on the 'rookie wall' if you want.  And I'm not saying that Smart doesn't have a great future ahead of him.  But right now, he is part of the problem with our starters.

Are we serious about trying to make the playoffs or not?  If not, then whatever, might as well tank our way into the 9th pick (still within reach).   But if we are, then why the heck isn't Thomas starting?

I don't see how that's the case. Every time I see Smart, he hustles on both ends of the floor and plays his as* off.

Certainly you could make the argument that maybe Isaiah should be starting with Smart being the 6th man, but right now in my mind Smart's play is the least of this team's worries and has been a HUGE bright spot.

I think he's already become a better point guard than Rondo ever was.

Your lying.

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2015, 10:54:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Smart isn't playing well enough to earn more minutes.   He's become a huge albatross on offense for the starters right now.

Arguably, he shouldn't even be starting at this point.

Blame it on the 'rookie wall' if you want.  And I'm not saying that Smart doesn't have a great future ahead of him.  But right now, he is part of the problem with our starters.

Are we serious about trying to make the playoffs or not?  If not, then whatever, might as well tank our way into the 9th pick (still within reach).   But if we are, then why the heck isn't Thomas starting?

I don't see how that's the case. Every time I see Smart, he hustles on both ends of the floor and plays his as* off.

Certainly you could make the argument that maybe Isaiah should be starting with Smart being the 6th man, but right now in my mind Smart's play is the least of this team's worries and has been a HUGE bright spot.

I think he's already become a better point guard than Rondo ever was.

Hustling and "playing his ***" off is not at all the same as being effective on offense.  His shooting has regressed back to miserable.   Even including his _one_ good game outlier of OKC, he's shooting a miserable 31.4% FG% in the last 16 games.  His TS% in that stretch is under 44%.   He's still too slow and inexperienced to read and react to the defenses at NBA speed, so he isn't doing much in the creating any offense for others.  Defenses do NOT respect his shot enough to create space for others.   Unless the opponents are of the lower tier that make enough mistakes so he can capitalize on turnovers, he has no real means of positively putting points on the board.   He is most certainly the weakest part of our starting offense.

If you truly believe that he is "already a better point guard than Rondo ever was", then we should probably just end this thread because that just establishes you at one heck of an extreme position.  There will be no crossing that void.    There is no point in debate.

And yes, Isaiah should definitely be starting.  He's a much, much better basketball player at this point.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2015, 10:59:04 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Marcus Smart better improve his game next year because 35 percent from the field is terrible. That jumper in the first that hit wide right on the backboard was ugly. And now we know why he doesn't shoot more of those during the game. I'm sure he probably bricks so many shots in practice.

Sorry if I'm upsetting any Marcus Smart fans, but I'm just calling it as it is. The dude is a horrible shooter for right now.

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 10:59:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Well this thread is adorable.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2015, 11:01:39 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Maybe Stevens is starting to realize that Marcus Smart is no better than Marcus Banks.

He was joking.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 11:02:46 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72

He was joking.

Was he ?

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 11:06:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Marcus Smart better improve his game next year because 35 percent from the field is terrible. That jumper in the first that hit wide right on the backboard was ugly. And now we know why he doesn't shoot more of those during the game. I'm sure he probably bricks so many shots in practice.

Sorry if I'm upsetting any Marcus Smart fans, but I'm just calling it as it is. The dude is a horrible shooter for right now.

Well you're not really going to improve your shooting when like 2/3 of your shots are 3's. He needs to improve his shot selection, though I'm pretty sure Stevens and the coaching staff have a big part in why he shoots so many 3's.

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2015, 11:11:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I don't know if he is in Stevens' doghouse, but he should be, imo.  Aside from about 3 games this year, he's been, well, crap.  I just looked at his splits and his shooting percentages are embarrassingly bad.  Perhaps his stats wouldn't be so terrible if he was at least even got to the line, but forget that, lol. ;D Rookie wall or not, his play and antics have been hard to watch.  I know that you can't measure everything he does on the court with stats, but those 'effort categories' don't even come close to offsetting his abysmal play.  I'm not saying to give up on the kid, but I did think that he would be a lot better than what he's shown this year.  Whether some of his struggles stem from Stevens having him take almost exclusively three pointers as opposed to any midrange jumpers, etc. or not I don't know, but his play hasn't exactly given me hope for the future.  He has A TON OF WORK TO DO before he can even be called an average player and shooter.  Yikes.

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 11:13:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Don't forget that timely airball down the stretch that looked to be about a foot short.  Wow. :o

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 11:15:12 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Well you're not really going to improve your shooting when like 2/3 of your shots are 3's. He needs to improve his shot selection, though I'm pretty sure Stevens and the coaching staff have a big part in why he shoots so many 3's.
I don't think Stevens is against the mid range jump shot as a tactic but is against Smart shooting them. Look how many that Turner and Bass shoot. Not to mention all the jumpers Bradley shoots off the dribble hand offs. I think it's on Smart to become a better shooter before he's going to get the green light to start shooting them.