Author Topic: Emoni Bates the next great star?  (Read 5073 times)

Emoni Bates the next great star?
« on: August 07, 2019, 08:26:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
There will be a lot of postings about this kid on this board in about 2-3 years when he is graduates from HS. He is considered the number one freshman in the country. Scouts say he is ahead of Lebron and KD at a similar age. He's 6'8", has a great handle, and a smooth jumper. Reminds me of Penny Hardaway.

Sure wish he was coming out in 2021 assuming we keep Griz pick for that draft.

Check him out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w7aAFy-Kqs

Re: Emoni Bates the next great star?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 09:30:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
There will be a lot of postings about this kid on this board in about 2-3 years when he is graduates from HS. He is considered the number one freshman in the country. Scouts say he is ahead of Lebron and KD at a similar age. He's 6'8", has a great handle, and a smooth jumper. Reminds me of Penny Hardaway.

Sure wish he was coming out in 2021 assuming we keep Griz pick for that draft.

Check him out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w7aAFy-Kqs
that's if that pick doesn't convey in 2020.   also, although the chances are slim, Milwaukee's pick could carry over if Giannis goes down next year.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 09:31:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
He just finished freshman year, so won't be coming out until 2022, assuming that HS grads are eligible for draft then.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 09:36:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He just finished freshman year, so won't be coming out until 2022, assuming that HS grads are eligible for draft then.
Maybe he'll reclassify! ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 01:26:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just saw a story about Bates getting arrested with a gun in his car.

I haven't followed his career, but what happened to him?  He went from an elite prospect to somebody that NbaDraft.net has ranked 84th in his class as a prospect right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 01:47:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I just saw a story about Bates getting arrested with a gun in his car.

I haven't followed his career, but what happened to him?  He went from an elite prospect to somebody that NbaDraft.net has ranked 84th in his class as a prospect right now.

Emoni Bates has been failed by the adults in his life, and now, at age 18, has failed himself.

Specifically, his father started one of those fake charter schools so he could build a high school basketball program around him.  School wasn't really a thing.  This included getting another top high school recruit to join the team, only for that player to be kicked out of the "school" for essentially not getting along with Emoni and his crew well enough.

Bates was committed to Michigan State (along with the other high schooler mentioned above -- I forget who but could look it up), but at the end reclassified to enter college a year earlier, and wound up with Penny Hardaway at Memphis.  He had a bad year, because he wasn't well prepared for college on or off the court, and left the program.  No higher-tier programs would offer.  Michigan had an open scholarship spot and Emoni pretty much begged to go there, being from Ypsilanti, which is a town over from Ann Arbor, but Juwan Howard passed on him.  So he wound up at Eastern Michigan, which is located in Ypsi.  As we have seen before and will see again, he fell back in with his hometown crowd and got himself into serious trouble.

He screwed up, but his father was very much a Lavar Ball type, and he was not put on a path to success.  He needed a mentor other than his father, and either never looked for one or never was allowed to find one.

Prospect-wise, he's one of those kids who physically matures earlier than the rest, and so looked dominant.  He might have been able to maintain dominance with better guidance, or it might have always been that once others caught up to him he'd have been less impressive.  Probably somewhere in the middle.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 01:57:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That's terrible.  It seems like all this kid needed to do was tread water for a year, and he would have been (theoretically) set for life.

My first instinct is to blame the father, because I'm a big believer in letting qualified professionals guide decisions.  The number of people who resort to self-help, whether for a financial motive or out of plain ignorance, always baffles me.  But, my more charitable side says that it's a field filled with a lot of slimy people, so it's hard to know who to trust.

I don't like to see people fail.  Hopefully he can find some proper structure and guidance.  I wonder if the G-league is available to him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 03:05:44 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Prospect-wise, he's one of those kids who physically matures earlier than the rest, and so looked dominant.  He might have been able to maintain dominance with better guidance, or it might have always been that once others caught up to him he'd have been less impressive.  Probably somewhere in the middle.

While there's unfortunately several guys like this throughout the years, Lenny Cooke immediately comes to mind for me.  Great documentary about him from the Safdie Brothers, which starts off talking how he was ranked ahead of Amare Stoudemire, Carmelo, and LeBron.  Great watch if you never seen it (and someone has it up on YouTube).  One thing that makes it great, this originally started as a documentary about high school kid going to the NBA while Cooke was in high school, so there's a ton of great, high quality footage of Lenny living his life back in the day.  Highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r38IXKGlfSA

Also Manchild: The Schea Cotton Story (also up on Youtube), similar stuff.  But nowhere near as good as the Lenny Cooke documentary, IMO.  This is mostly just talking heads from family, friends, coaches (along with pros like Pierce, Artest, Baron Davis, Elton Brand), with grainy footage from the 90's sprinkled in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcL-fcBAAAU

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class