Author Topic: Perk on Grant Williams: "He's a poor man's Draymond Green"  (Read 9720 times)

Re: Perk on Grant Williams: "He's a poor man's Draymond Green"
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2019, 11:05:05 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I supposed Grant Wiliams could be the next Jared Sullinger.  Not a terrible pick for sure, but someone that could frustrate fans due to lack of athleticism (thus limiting his overall ceiling).

Also Sullinger bench pressed 185 pounds only 9 times

Grant did 20

As an aside... 20 reps of 185 was the second strongest at the combine?

I’m not exactly a power lifter, but before I dislocated my shoulder I could do that easily. I considered my strength to be above average, but nowhere close to exceptional.

Is it the longer arms? Lack of strength training?
so why the hell aren't you trying out for the celtics roy???????  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2019, 11:09:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I supposed Grant Wiliams could be the next Jared Sullinger.  Not a terrible pick for sure, but someone that could frustrate fans due to lack of athleticism (thus limiting his overall ceiling).

Grant did 20

I’m not exactly a power lifter, but before I dislocated my shoulder I could do that easily. I considered my strength to be above average, but nowhere close to exceptional.

My other combine measurements are decidedly less impressive.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2019, 11:15:50 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I’ve watched quite a bit of Grant at Tennessee.

I think Williams has a better sense of his strengths than Sully did.  Sully hucked threes, despite being a poor shooter... I’d be surprised if we see anything like that from Grant.  He also has terrific court awareness at both ends, which makes up for his physical limits... to what extent, we’ll find out. 

I think Paul Millsap is Williams’ perfect world upside.  Not sure how close he realistically gets to that though.  I like his game a lot, but we were able to get him at 22 for some valid reasons.
I mean, perhaps grant becomes a steal.  But I’m reading just a little wishful thinking in these responses.  Similarities aside, I think a sullinger type career would seem about right for grant.  Hell, he could actually be worse.

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2019, 11:39:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think Williams has a better sense of his strengths than Sully did.  Sully hucked threes, despite being a poor shooter... I’d be surprised if we see anything like that from Grant.  He also has terrific court awareness at both ends, which makes up for his physical limits... to what extent, we’ll find out. 

I think Paul Millsap is Williams’ perfect world upside.  Not sure how close he realistically gets to that though.  I like his game a lot, but we were able to get him at 22 for some valid reasons.
I mean, perhaps grant becomes a steal.  But I’m reading just a little wishful thinking in these responses.  Similarities aside, I think a sullinger type career would seem about right for grant.  Hell, he could actually be worse.
You realise Sullinger only really played 4 seasons in the league, right? I don't really count his stint in Toronto.

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2019, 12:01:51 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Grant did 20

I’m in a similar boat to Roy. My response: Old man strength is a thing. When you’re 19-20, it’s tough to be that strong in the weight room!

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2019, 12:27:29 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Sullinger was widely considered a top-5 prospect in college but had zero work ethic and got worse pretty much every year after age 20. Other than being late 1st round power forwards I don’t see a ton of similarities. Williams May or may not pan out but appears 100x more equipped to at least maximize his potential.

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2019, 12:34:56 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

You realise Sullinger only really played 4 seasons in the league, right? I don't really count his stint in Toronto.

I don't speak for droopdog, but I would imagine more he's referring to peak production rather than duration, kinda like comparing somebody to Brandon Roy.

Sullinger was pretty solid as a Celtic.  A rotational player on a veteran playoff team as a rookie, then above average PER in years 2-4.  Great looking Per 36/Per 100 possession numbers (if he only ever got in shape and could actually play those minutes).  13/8/2/1/1 (with generous rounding on blocks/steals).  I know I definitely felt like he outplayed his draft position during his 4 years as a Celtic.  Even knowing he's out of the league now, I'd still draft him over most of the guys taken ahead of him from 10-20.  I'd be happy if Grant gave the C's that kind of production.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2019, 12:54:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't speak for droopdog, but I would imagine more he's referring to peak production rather than duration, kinda like comparing somebody to Brandon Roy.

Sullinger was pretty solid as a Celtic.  A rotational player on a veteran playoff team as a rookie, then above average PER in years 2-4.  Great looking Per 36/Per 100 possession numbers (if he only ever got in shape and could actually play those minutes).  13/8/2/1/1 (with generous rounding on blocks/steals).  I know I definitely felt like he outplayed his draft position during his 4 years as a Celtic.  Even knowing he's out of the league now, I'd still draft him over most of the guys taken ahead of him from 10-20.  I'd be happy if Grant gave the C's that kind of production.
No doubt, and that kind of production is definitely fair.

But I guess with the use of the term "career" threw me, if that's what he meant
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2019, 01:11:33 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Sullinger was a useful player when not gorging himself on twinkies. Regardless of what his ceiling is, GW will never fail for the same reasons Sullinger did.

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking about.  As other said, sully ate himself out of the league.  I don’t expect THAT from grant.

But nonetheless, sully was limited while he was in the league.  He started chucking threes because he was basically unable to do it inside due to lack of athleticism.  Would get stuffed more than turkeys on thanksgiving.

I think what gets to me is people saying that grant is definitely better and a or b than sully when we don’t really know.  Sully was a pretty good colllege player but the nba is a different beast.  Until we see grant in the nba, we won’t know whether he’s better at anything.

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2019, 10:42:14 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking about.  As other said, sully ate himself out of the league.  I don’t expect THAT from grant.

But nonetheless, sully was limited while he was in the league.  He started chucking threes because he was basically unable to do it inside due to lack of athleticism.  Would get stuffed more than turkeys on thanksgiving.

I think what gets to me is people saying that grant is definitely better and a or b than sully when we don’t really know.  Sully was a pretty good colllege player but the nba is a different beast.  Until we see grant in the nba, we won’t know whether he’s better at anything.
I think he started chucking threes because Stevens wanted him to chuck threes.  I bet he would have preferred to get a lot more looks down low. 

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I think he started chucking threes because Stevens wanted him to chuck threes.  I bet he would have preferred to get a lot more looks down low.

The funny thing is

Sullinger at the end of his time with the Celts, seems like he defied what CBS preferred (shooting 3s) and took a few steps and shot the 17 ft instead

who knows if this made CBS go haywire internally
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 12:39:47 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2019, 12:33:58 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Perhaps a combination of both.  First, sully was not going to be an effective inside player given his lack of lift.  His shot got blocked A LOT.  Fans griped about it constantly.  So maybe he preferred to play inside, but he wasn't going to be efficient at it.

As for stevens, I guess he was okay with sully shooting threes, though I'm not sure he encouraged it.

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2019, 12:44:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Perhaps a combination of both.  First, sully was not going to be an effective inside player given his lack of lift.  His shot got blocked A LOT.  Fans griped about it constantly.  So maybe he preferred to play inside, but he wasn't going to be efficient at it.

As for stevens, I guess he was okay with sully shooting threes, though I'm not sure he encouraged it.

I think it was encouraged in Stevens first year.  They were doing a soft tank that year, and so giving Sullinger permission to let it fly in hopes that it might develop by when the Celtics were a team trying to win made sense.  But it never did, and his final season as a Celtic saw him cut his attempts in half relative to the number of 2-point shots he took.

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2019, 01:22:07 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

I think it was encouraged in Stevens first year.  They were doing a soft tank that year, and so giving Sullinger permission to let it fly in hopes that it might develop by when the Celtics were a team trying to win made sense.  But it never did, and his final season as a Celtic saw him cut his attempts in half relative to the number of 2-point shots he took.

Going off topic now, but hey it's the doldrums summer and not much to talk about.

All this reminds me of this great play with Sullinger/Stevens.  You can see Sullinger argue with Stevens only to get  the wide open 3.

They way I remember Sully, he was kind of streaky from 3, he'd have months where he'd look very capable, and other months where you'd prefer vintage Marcus Smart taking the 3.

Sully's health/conditioning was a major issue.  In the beginning of the season, he'd take good shots and was effective.  As the season progressed and as his lack of conditioning caught up with him, he'd take the easy way out on offense and take a 3/long 2 rather than work inside for a good shot.  Looking at his numbers, his TS% was usually highest in Nov and I think conditioning is why.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class