Poll

Is Smart good enough to be your long term Point Guard.

Yes He is. I love his Defense and atiitude.
20 (33.3%)
No he's not, he can't drive to the hoop or shoot, his ball handling is suspect.
11 (18.3%)
Too early to tell.
29 (48.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Buy or Sell, Smart St PG for a decade  (Read 3854 times)

Re: Buy or Sell, Smart St PG for a decade
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm a Smart fan, i see something special in the way he plays the game. He is a player that definds hustle and defense. He's a player you simply don't look forward to play against. He never stops with his relentless hustle. He's a player that leads by example and pushes other players to play the same way. That type of player will win you plenty of games.

That said...he must improve on the offensive side of the game. He has proven he can shoot the 3, he needs to get into the paint and create and score. It's no secret, the fans know it, and I'm sure he knows it. I'm betting you will see improvement next year.

If he can't accomplish this he will be religated to comming off the bench, and his value will decline.

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 10:06:23 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

A decade is a long time.

In the balance, though, I do think it more likely that Marcus starts for the next few years than one of the obvious alternatives like (1) Isaiah Thomas, who I think will be traded, (2) Ty Lawson, who I think we will continue to pursue but not likely acquire, or (3) a future draftee.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 10:16:57 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Smart all ready plays NBA level defense and makes winning plays that don't show up on the stat sheet. That he is the only starter on our team that has a positive net rating show how valuable the the little things he does are.

On offense he pretty much always makes the right decision on where to move the ball. I think his handle and ability to finish will improve as well as his shooting and he will have a long career.

I hope that he is able to be the full time pg next year, so that we can move Turner to the bench and add a more consistent scorer at the 3.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 10:23:24 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see him as the future starting PG of this team.  doesn't seem to have the ballhandling or passing skills to be that player for us.  His offense has shown improvement this season and especially in the past few weeks so I'm becoming less concerned with that.

I do love his defense and the fact when he's on the floor he makes good things happen for the C's. 

I could see him more as a starting SG provided his shot improves or as the 3rd guard in the rotation that can come in for either guard position (provided we have a good ballhandling backcourt to begin with which we do not).

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I see him as a PG that will average 14/5/7 with 1.7 SPG.

I think he'll be a great player especially in Steven's system. Its not about being able to make perfect passes, its about ball movement, and making the right decision, whether it be swinging the ball around.

Smart has underrated court vision, I saw a few passes where I was just like, wow its like Rondo-esque.

Not saying he'll ever be a Rondo type of passing point guard, but Smart seems mad unselfish, and the thing is I wish Smart was more aggressive.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 10:51:51 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 11:15:24 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Smart is not a point guard.

He's a strong safety.

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2015, 11:15:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
All I know is I love Smart and everything about him.

His hustle, attitude, court vision and defense.

When we first drafted him, I just didn't know how his game would translate in the NBA.

But man, we have a keeper!

And same goes for Isaiah. Best trade DA has made in a while.

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2015, 11:38:13 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

I like Smart. I'm really unsure about his skill-set to be a full time starting point guard for this team, If all the bigs are gone, and we have a chance to get an upgrade of a more well rounded point guard are you OK with drafting one? I am.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him used in a trade package this summer.  Could even see him moved on draft day.

Interesting, what kinda names do you think they would move him for? My list of people I would include him in a trade for isn't very long.

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 06:02:16 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Watch carefully his attitude. He has leadership mentality. Look how he respond to frustration.
He's already a great professional that execute what the coach ask him to do without deviate a bit.
Watch his authority face when he asks team mate to move to a position.
He has star pedigree, he just need to continue what he's doing and work on technique during summers. He can be the type of SG that will have many triple double and may be the best defensive player in nba.