Author Topic: KG pummelling Powe  (Read 10732 times)

Re: KG pummelling Powe
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2008, 10:27:10 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'd like to think that we're either going to keep Powe or at the least spin him somewhere for some significant help.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2008, 10:44:14 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
This guy has a nice still-shot medley of the dunk, KG standing over Powe, and KG screaming in Powe's ear for the next several minutes. 

http://redsarmy.wordpress.com/2008/04/21/yes-yes-in-the-face/

The hilarious thing is the look on each of their faces.  KG is going ballistic, Powe is looking like "can someone please get this maniac out of my ear?".  For those of you that saw the movie "The Replacements", this whole sequence reminded me of the linebacker chasing and beating the crap out of the kicker every time the kicker made a big kick.

I watched the game with  my wife last night and she asked, "Why is Kevin Garnett beating him up? Did he miss an important shot or something?"  I explained that it was because Powe MADE the shot, and her reply: "Now I bet he wishes he missed it"

thats a good one..bet he did to,in a way. ;D

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2008, 11:06:25 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yeah that was real funny.  It looked like Powe was just trying to defend himself from further damage at that point.  :)
But it's all in good fun and I'm sure Powe understands.
That's just how KG is.  He is so intense and INTO the game.  I wouldn't change Big Ticket for the world!
His passion has really helped turn this team from just a talented group on paper, to a group that plays their heart out on the floor and has the potential to go all the way!

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2008, 11:32:05 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yeah that was real funny.  It looked like Powe was just trying to defend himself from further damage at that point.  :)
But it's all in good fun and I'm sure Powe understands.
That's just how KG is.  He is so intense and INTO the game.  I wouldn't change Big Ticket for the world!
His passion has really helped turn this team from just a talented group on paper, to a group that plays their heart out on the floor and has the potential to go all the way!

Well said, VJ ... TP. I wouldn't change KG, either, and I guarantee you that Powe, while obviously suppressing a smile, feels a bit special and pumped, to have one of the "greatest" throwing so much positive energy his way, (I know I would!).

I think a bit of a misconception lies in the fact that people expect KG to behave like a "normal" person, (whatever that is), but he is extremely unique, and motivated in ways that most of us can't really relate to. You've gotta take Ticket for who he is, and not expect him to take the "usual route", especially when it comes to basketball.

Are there things I wish he'd do differently? Absolutely ... but I don't expect it or even think about it much. I take the guy for who he is, and I love who he is ... the intensity, the uniqueness, the passion, the flaws, the rituals.

It's all part of the package, and I wouldn't want him to change, because that would require him being someone he's not, and what he brings to Boston, and the things he stands for, makes being him a very valuable part of this extremely talented and dominant team ... quirks and all!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 12:20:12 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I am really hoping at some point in this series, KG gets a monster dunk when Powe is on the floor, it would be even better if some how KG ended up on the floor too, and it was up to Leon to help him up. I think KG would respond to Powe amping him up, and the entire city of Boston would explode in a ball of pure intensity.

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »

Offline expobear

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 27
all I could think after that play (and game) is Powe is gonna get paid a good amount of money by a really bad team when his contract is up... its too bad seeing a guy grown before your eyes and likely us not get compensated for it, but he's been a wonder and hopefully we'll see similar performances throughout the playoffs

The Celtics should have locked Powe up by at least guaranteeing his contract for next year.  I believe this is what happened to Arenas with the Warriors several years back. Arenas was not locked up after his second year and became an unrestricted free agent.  The Warriors, due to cap limitations, couldn't match Washington's offer and Arenas was gone.  Maybe Roy can clarify this but the team, based on Roy's thread regarding the status of all the Celtics' contracts, do not have an option on Powe.  If Powe gets a better offer from another team, the Celtics with Rondo and others needing to be re-signed, may not have enough to match Powe's offer, if he does get another offer. Anybody have any thoughts or clarifications on this?

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 01:37:02 AM »

Offline powefan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7

The Celtics should have locked Powe up by at least guaranteeing his contract for next year.  I believe this is what happened to Arenas with the Warriors several years back. Arenas was not locked up after his second year and became an unrestricted free agent.  The Warriors, due to cap limitations, couldn't match Washington's offer and Arenas was gone.  Maybe Roy can clarify this but the team, based on Roy's thread regarding the status of all the Celtics' contracts, do not have an option on Powe.  If Powe gets a better offer from another team, the Celtics with Rondo and others needing to be re-signed, may not have enough to match Powe's offer, if he does get another offer. Anybody have any thoughts or clarifications on this?

[/quote]

Expobear--
The way I understand it, Powe is under a team option for next year.  If the C's want him, they got him for cheap.  As for the Gilbert Aernas situation, the rules were changed after that happened so that a similar situation won't happen again. 

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 01:41:58 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
all I could think after that play (and game) is Powe is gonna get paid a good amount of money by a really bad team when his contract is up... its too bad seeing a guy grown before your eyes and likely us not get compensated for it, but he's been a wonder and hopefully we'll see similar performances throughout the playoffs

That's why there's the Gilbert Arenas provision, to protect the teams against what happened to the Warriors and Gilbert.  Powe isn't going anywhere for the next couple of years or more if the Celtics want him, and I'm quite sure they do.  Nothing to do with locking him up or not.

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008, 07:10:26 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

The Celtics should have locked Powe up by at least guaranteeing his contract for next year.  I believe this is what happened to Arenas with the Warriors several years back. Arenas was not locked up after his second year and became an unrestricted free agent.  The Warriors, due to cap limitations, couldn't match Washington's offer and Arenas was gone.  Maybe Roy can clarify this but the team, based on Roy's thread regarding the status of all the Celtics' contracts, do not have an option on Powe.  If Powe gets a better offer from another team, the Celtics with Rondo and others needing to be re-signed, may not have enough to match Powe's offer, if he does get another offer. Anybody have any thoughts or clarifications on this?

While Powe's deal isn't guaranteed because he didn't hit his incentive clause (although I think there's some sort of partial guarantee in there), he'll still be back next season.  The team has a $797,581 option on him (the minimum for players of his experience), and they'll almost definitely be exercising it. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 03:20:04 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
What is the going rate for a Powe in the league anyway? Is he worth Perkins money? more? less?

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 04:02:06 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
another year of 7th man usage and him producing, and he'll probley get a scal-level contract. hopefully from us.

of course this is the NBA, where teams like orlando pay 118 million for a player who is 2 dimensional and thier third best player, so some team may throw alot at leon to start him as a tweener. who knows, for now i will sit back and enjoy powe pimping. (TM bass Entertainment)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion