Author Topic: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer  (Read 83616 times)

Re: Celtics need to trade Rondo this summer
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2012, 01:24:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The tone of this whole thread is that Rondo "needs" to be traded because he got ejected from Game 1.
You have misread the tone of this thread, that isn't it at all.  The ejection from game 1 is just the continuation of a long line of problems resulting from Rondo's attitude.  His attitude is why he needs to go.  It is what keeps him from reaching his full potential and the next level (he shows flashes of what he could be, but lets his emotion and attitude affect his consistency to a level I can't recall in any one else).  The ejection was caused by his underlying attitude problem and that isn't going to go away because I don't believe it is a maturity issue.  I think it is just the way Rondo is and I don't see that improving, which means he will never be the player he could become.

Let's not forget what Pierce did earlier in his career.  He received the lion's share of the blame for the collapse of Team USA in 2002.  He got kicked out of a playoff game after an extreme over-reaction to an intentional foul. He was easily baited into bad shots by trash talk from opponents and once spit at the Cavs bench after a fierce round with young LeBron.   He had a pair of disappointing years in terms of shot selection and defensive intensity and took a full year to get with Doc's share the ball program.  Heck, it wasn't so long ago that he lost his cool and threw a gang sign at Al Horford after getting taunted on a missed shot late in a game.

We stuck with Pierce and it paid off.  I expect we'll do the same with Rondo (unless someone comes offering D-Will or CP3 for him).
I always just saw Pierce as immature, and I don't see immaturity with Rondo.  I certainly could be wrong, but that is just the way I see it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2012, 01:24:41 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I still just dont understand how anyone can justify trading a top 3 point guard in the league who averages over 11 assists per game! Like...What do you expect to get in return that values that? absurd.

« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2012, 01:40:10 PM »

Offline KY Celts fan

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Moving Rondo for pennies on the dollar is just not a smart move.
Pennies on the Dollar?  Where did you get this idea?  No one is suggesting and certainly we can trust that DA wouldn't trade him just to dump him.  Trades will be explored though.

We are now 7-4 in games without him this year.  Think the Clipps would be 7-4 without CP or the Nets without Williams?  Rondo is not indispensable.  I think we could get good value back for him and trades should be explored.

Our record without Rondo doesn't really matter. The Bulls record without Derrick Rose was great this year. Does that mean Rose is expendable for the right price? Of course not!

Our record without KG in 2009 was good as well. Should we have though about getting rid of him? No, that's foolish.

« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2012, 01:51:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I still just dont understand how anyone can justify trading a top 3 point guard in the league who averages over 11 assists per game! Like...What do you expect to get in return that values that? absurd.
These seem like fairly realistic trades, would you make any of them?

Rondo, 22 for Matthews, Smith, 11

Rondo for Conley, Cunningham, 25

Rondo, 22 for Jack, Aminu, 10

Rondo for Harris, Hayward

Rondo, 22 for Calderon, 8

« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2012, 01:55:15 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32

I'm done with this topic before I say something stupid.

« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2012, 01:55:43 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
 ::) ::) ::) ::)
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

Fairly good. I like Conley as a pass-first PG. He also has a good feel to get some steals, can knock down 3s and showed in college alongside Oden that he is old school.
Hayward is someone really talented, as well. A very versatile player who can do almost anything.
Not advocating any trades at this point, but these sounded debatable.

« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Would you?  Which of those offers constitutes fair value for an all-star at the beginning of his prime?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »

Offline thestackshow

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 112

You trolling?
[img width= height=]http://oi43.tinypic.com/2afde6p.jpg[/img]

« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2012, 02:21:43 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
The tone of this whole thread is that Rondo "needs" to be traded because he got ejected from Game 1.
You have misread the tone of this thread, that isn't it at all.  The ejection from game 1 is just the continuation of a long line of problems resulting from Rondo's attitude.  His attitude is why he needs to go.  It is what keeps him from reaching his full potential and the next level (he shows flashes of what he could be, but lets his emotion and attitude affect his consistency to a level I can't recall in any one else).  The ejection was caused by his underlying attitude problem and that isn't going to go away because I don't believe it is a maturity issue.  I think it is just the way Rondo is and I don't see that improving, which means he will never be the player he could become.

Let's not forget what Pierce did earlier in his career.  He received the lion's share of the blame for the collapse of Team USA in 2002.  He got kicked out of a playoff game after an extreme over-reaction to an intentional foul. He was easily baited into bad shots by trash talk from opponents and once spit at the Cavs bench after a fierce round with young LeBron.   He had a pair of disappointing years in terms of shot selection and defensive intensity and took a full year to get with Doc's share the ball program.  Heck, it wasn't so long ago that he lost his cool and threw a gang sign at Al Horford after getting taunted on a missed shot late in a game.

We stuck with Pierce and it paid off.  I expect we'll do the same with Rondo (unless someone comes offering D-Will or CP3 for him).
I always just saw Pierce as immature, and I don't see immaturity with Rondo.  I certainly could be wrong, but that is just the way I see it.

What is it if not maturity?  Do you think he's unstable mentally?

I think Rondo's problems smack of immaturity: has a hard time taking criticism (fights with Doc, bottle at the screen incident) and struggles to keep his emotions in check (ref bump, ball throwing).  What evidence is there that is some deeper, darker problem?

His problems with consistency on the court are very much skill and role-based, not personality: his scoring is so unorthodox without accurate shooting (and his scoring role so fluid on this team) that's it's bound to be inconsistent.  He's been very consistent as a playmaker with back-to-back seasons of elite production in that category. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2012, 02:47:04 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

None and it's not close. Even adding a couple of firsts can't help these enough.

« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Moving Rondo for pennies on the dollar is just not a smart move.
Pennies on the Dollar?  Where did you get this idea?  No one is suggesting and certainly we can trust that DA wouldn't trade him just to dump him.  Trades will be explored though.

We are now 7-4 in games without him this year.  Think the Clipps would be 7-4 without CP or the Nets without Williams?  Rondo is not indispensable.  I think we could get good value back for him and trades should be explored.

The Nets can't go 7 and 4 with Deron Williams, never mind without him.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Would you?  Which of those offers constitutes fair value for an all-star at the beginning of his prime?
I'd certainly do the Memphis and Utah trades.  Depending on what I thought would be on the board at 8, 10, and 11, I might do those trades as well.  

« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
To be honest, Rondo's upside is much too high. You don't trade him. Not anymore. It's something I entertained early in the season, but not now.

« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

they are realistic.  I've brought up the Calderon concept before.  The idea is that although Rondo is a fantastic distributor and 'setup guy', he's actually a fairly limited offensive player.  When you have a star like Paul Pierce playing at a star level, you actually don't necessarily NEED Rondo.  Pierce is comfortable having the ball flow through him... and he has a tendency to step his game up with Rondo out... which is why we won game 2 and why we had a winning record when Rondo sat this year.   So I actually questioned whether or offense would be "better" if you replaced ROndo with a phenomenal shooter like Jose Calderon.  He's a career 48% shooter (38% from three and 88% from the line) ... Basically you replace a guy who can't shoot for his life (Rondo) with one of the best shooters in the league.  I imagine that would open things up for the rest of the starters... and I think a case could be made that it would actually IMPROVE our offense (for what it's worth, Calderon averages about 9 assists with garbage teammates).   Still, this is all contingent on Paul Pierce being here and capable of playing like a star... and I don't think Pierce has too many years left. 

I worry about how Rondo will perform when the guys he distributes the ball to (Ray, KG, and Pierce) retire.  What happens when he no longer has 3 hall-of-famers surrounding him... what happens when the Celtics ask him to be a primary scorer and the guy can't shoot... what happens when teams start doubling him like they do Rose, Chris Paul and Deron Williams?   Rondo is fantastic in his role right now, because he has elite scorers around him... but what happens when the elite scorers disappear?  Positive outlook:  He ends up a poor man's Jason Kidd and a few fringe stars can turn us into a mediocre little playoff team (like when the Nets lucked into the finals back-to-back years when the Leastern Conference was a joke).  Negative outlook:  His assists drop when his shot attempts rise, his limited offensive ability becomes and issue, the team starts losing and Rondo (who appears to be a very temperamental stubborn guy) starts sulking.  As we saw when Boston traded Perk and Rondo went comatose for a few months... a "sulking" Rondo isn't anywhere near as good as a "happy Rondo".

So although these trades kinda stink, I DO understand why Ainge has been exploring moving him and I DO understand why Ainge will continue to explore moving him.  I personally prefer a pipe-dream scenario where we sign Deron Williams in free agency (he's better than Rondo, not limited offensively, has shown success as a leader and his team's best player, has all the same distribution and setup abilities, he's available this summer... and we have the cap space to sign him) and then trade Rondo to the highest bidder (preferably a big man... a Josh Smith or Al Jefferson or something).   Offer Rondo and both 1sts for Dwight Howard if Dwight demands a trade.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:40:55 PM by LarBrd33 »