Author Topic: Wizards (3-3) at Celtics (3-3) Round 2 Game 7 5/15/17  (Read 144793 times)

Wizards (3-3) at Celtics (3-3) Round 2 Game 7 5/15/17
« on: May 14, 2017, 11:02:51 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Wizards (3-3) at Boston Celtics (3-3)
Eastern Conference Semifinals Game 7
Playoff Game Game #13, Home Game #7
Monday, May 15, 2017
8:00 PM ET
TV: TNT
Radio: Sports Hub 98.5, WFED 1500 AM
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Isaiah Thomas vs John Wall

Shooting Guard
vs
Avery Bradley vs Bradley Beal

Small Forward
vs
Jae Crowder vs Otto Porter

Power Forward
vs
Amir Johnson vs Markieff Morris

Center
vs
Al Horford vs Marcin Gortat

Celtics Reserves

Jaylen Brown
Terry Rozier
Gerald Green
Kelly Olynyk
Demetrius Jackson
Jordan Mickey
James Young
Tyler Zeller
Marcus Smart
Gerald Green

Injuries
Avery Bradley (hip pointers) probable

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Wizards Reserves
Bojan Bogdanovic
Brandon Jennings
Sheldon McClellan
Chris McCullough
Daniel Ochafu
Kelly Oubre Jr
Thomas Satoransky
Jason Smith
Trey Burke
Ian Mahinmi

Injuries
Bojan Bogdanovic (flu)  probable

Head Coach
Scott Brooks

Game Notes
It's win or go home time as the series shifts to the TD Garden for the 30th Game 7 for the Celtics' franchise.  They are 21-9 in the 29 previous game 7's. This is the Celtics first Game 7 since 2012.  As Isaiah said after Game 6, this is where legends are made.  Havlicek stole the ball in a Game 7.  Larry Bird and Dominique Wilkins dueled in a Game 7.  Bill Russell played in 10 Game 7's and won them all. 

This is the Wizards' first Game 7 since they were the Bullets and played the Spurs in the Eastern Conference Finals in 1979 (38 years ago).  No Washington team has won a playoff game in Boston since 1982.  The Wizards haven't won in Boston in the regular season since April 2014.  The winner of Game 5 in a series wins the series 83% of the time. 

Only 4 Celtics have Game 7 experience.  Al played in 3 Game 7's with the Hawks.  They won 2 and lost 1, a Game 7 against the Celtics at the Garden 1n 1008.  Gerald played in 3 Game 7's, 2 with the Heat (1W and 1 L) and 1 loss with the Pacers.  Jae played in a loss in a Game 7 with the Mavericks.  Amir played in a loss with the Raptors. 

Both teams come in with no major injuries aside from a few bumps and bruises.  Bojan Bogdanovic missed practice on Saturday with the flu but is expected to play in this game.  Every game in this series has been won by the home team.  The Celtics won 2 close games in Games 1 and 2.  The Wizards won in 2 blow outs in Games 3 and 4.  The Celtics won in a blow out in Game 5 and the Wizards squeeked out  a 1 point win in game 6. 

Key Matchups
vs 
Isaiah Thomas vs John Wall
Wall started off slowly in Game 6 but came on strong to lead his team to a win to force a Game 7.  He is averaging 27.9 points, 10.3 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 1.8 steals.  The Celtics have to find a way to slow Wall down and also to get Isaiah open as they have double and triple teamed him at times in the series.  This matchup is key on both sides.  The Celtics need IT to make smart decisions on when to pass and when to put up a shot.  They also need to slow Wall down, especially in transition. 

vs
Avery Bradley vs Bradley Beal
Beal is averaging 23.8 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.8 assists, and 1.6 steals.  Avery has played very well on both sides of the ball in the last 2 games and the Celtics will need another strong game on defense and will also need him to once again look for his shot and take some of the scoring load off of Isaiah. 

Honorable Mention
Amir Johnson vs Markieff Morris
This has been the matchup that the Celtics have struggled with.  Amir has started the past 2 games and the starting unit has gotten off to a good start in both games.  In the second half of Game 6, only 3 players scored - Beal, Wall, and Morris.  The Celtics need to slow these three players down if they want to get a win. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - The Celtics need to make defense a priority.   They especially need to contain the Wizards' talented back court.    The Celtics can't depend on trying to outscore the Wizards.  They have to stop them from scoring with tough team defense.  They have to get into the passing lanes and force turnovers.   The Celtics have struggled to play consistent defense in this series and they have to find a way to dig down deep and play tough in your face defense from start to finish. 

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team from the opening tip to the final buzzer.   They need to be aggressive in going to the hoop, in crashing the boards, in fighting for loose balls and in running the court.  They also have to be more aggressive on defense.  They have to be the team that wants it more.  The Wizards were the more aggressive team and they played harder in DC.  The Celtics must turn that around and play harder and tougher if they want to get a win in this one. 

Rebound - In the first meeting between these two teams, a Celtics loss, the Celtics were out-rebounded 54-31 by the Wizards.  In the 2nd meeting, a Celtics win, the Celtics out-rebounded the Wizards 45-44.  In the third game, a loss, the Celtics were again out-rebounded 43-32.  In their 4th meeting, a Celtics win, the Celtics out-rebounded the Wizards 54-39.  It isn't a coincidence that the team that won each game had the rebounding edge.  In Game 1, the Celtics and Wizards both finished with 38 rebounds. In game 2, the Wizards out-rebounded the Celtics 44-41. The Celtics won those two games.   In Game 3 the Wizards out-rebounded the Celtics 50-38 and in Game 4 they out-rebounded the Celtics 45-31 and the Celtics lost. In Game 6, the Wizards out-rebounded the Celtics 46-37 and the Celtics lost. When the Celtics put out the extra effort it takes to box out and crash the boards, they win but when they allow the Wizards to out-work them on the boards, they lose.  They MUST work harder to grab rebounds. 

Focus -  The Celtics at times can shoot the lights out and other times can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Much of that has to be their focus on taking good shots and taking their time with their shots and not rushing them.  They can't let the Wizards goading them or the lack of calls take their focus off of playing the game the right way.  They have to also realize that if the 3's aren't falling they must go to the basket or they will shoot themselves out of the game once again.  The Celtics seem to play very well for most of the games and then lose their focus for a short period each game and give the Wizards a big run.  In Game 6, they were up 5 with just 90 seconds to go and they lost focus and allowed the Wizards to steal the game.  They have to stay focused and not give the Wizards any chance to go on a run. 

Value Each Possession - The Wizards 26-0 run began with two shot clock violations by the Celtics.  They scored 19 of those 26 points on Celtics turnovers.   For the game, the Wizards scored 34 points off of Celtics turnovers.  The Celtics gave up 25 second chance points.  They have to stop turning the ball over and crash the boards and concentrate on their shot selection so that they don't give the Wizards a big run in this game. 

Everyone Contributes - The Celtics are built to have everyone contribute.  Avery and Jae  were just 4-18 in Game 4 and just 1-8 from beyond the arc. The starters, especially, have to come up big and no lose their focus.   Over 69 minutes, the Wizards starters have outscored the Celtics starters 45.2 points per 100 possessions.  The Celtics reserves were just 2-18 for just 5 points in Game 6.   They can't afford to have any or all of their rotation players give away the ball and miss their shots.  Every player has to contribute.

X-Factors

Home Game - The Celtics are at home and in this series, especially, home court has been important.  Each game so far has been won by the home team.  The Wizards have their last 10 games at the Garden.   They haven't won a playoff game at the Garden since 1982.  They haven't won a regular season game at the Garden since 2014.   The Celtics need to get energy from the fans, who should be loud and make the Garden a very hostile arena for the Wizards. 

Backs Against the Wall -  This is it.  Win or Go Home.  The Celtics need to put everything they have into this game in order to get the win.  The Wizards also have their backs against the wall and so the Celtics must play harder and play like they want this game more in order to get the win.  Hopefully there will be no more stunts with black clothes but just a mindset that this game is theirs and they are going to give all they have to win it. 

Officiating -  Officiating is always an x-factor. How the refs call the game has a big influence on how the teams play. Will they let them play or call every little bit of contact? Will they call it evenly or will they favor one team or the other. Will they be influenced by the home crowd?  It all effects the outcome of the game and most importantly, the Celtics need to adjust to the way the officials call the game.  The refs missed several calls down the stretch in Game 6, most notably giving them 1 second less on the last shot.  Hopefully the refs call this one fair and let them play. 

Re: Wizards (3-3) at Celtics (3-3) Round 2 Game 7 5/15/17
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 11:05:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
TP FLCeltsFan!!!

Let's hope the TD Garden is rocking tomorrow! Going to need it 110%

My gut says Isaiah will "prove himself" even more and have a great game tomorrow (39 points - also same number of TPs I wagered LOL)

Hopefully AB and Horford can continue saying hot, and this bench plays much better than in Game 6. Smart and Crowder need to step up on offense too.

LETS GO C's!!! An already successful season IMO would be "extremely successful" with just an ECF appearance!

Also, the Celtics are 3-0 in playoff games so far where I'm one of the first three to post in the thread  8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 11:06:48 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to Phantom255x for being first to post in the Game Thread!! 

Gooooooooooooooooooooooo Celtics!!!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 11:07:15 PM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065
GO CELTICS!!!!! lets win this one!!!

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 11:07:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Am I second??  Great job with the game previews as always.
Go celtics!

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 11:10:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Let's go Celtics!

Yup

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 11:12:28 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Let's get this! I've got 125 TP's riding on the C's lol
- LilRip

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 11:21:48 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Go Celts! Get this and send the punks home!! I bet all my points on the C's.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 11:39:27 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
TP to Phantom for being the first and having that record.

The Celtics need this win BAAAAD. Just win this game and I won't care too much about the rest of the playoffs- any wins in the ECF would be extra beneficial for the long-term success.

Also have to end that road-winning game elimination streak. 10 playoff elimination games have been won on the road this year, except for the HOU-OKC series.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 11:43:56 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
GO CELTICS

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 11:47:59 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I put all of my hard-earned TPs on this game—416 of them. Before this series began, I said that I was just happy with finally getting a first-round win, and that anything beyond that was gravy. But I was wrong. I want this series win badly.

Let's go, Celtics! Get this win!!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 11:48:30 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Also, Markieff Morris says Celtics can't pull off "funeral" attire like Wizards can. "They wanna be us so bad man" lol this guy is full of it.

Hope this is bulletin-board material for the C's tomorrow.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 11:56:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Great thread flc, the empty beer mugs mean all of us at cb have finished celebrating a win over the whizzers and our entry into the ECF.

A tp for you, though you won't need it after you get all those tps in the bet.  ;D

Celtics win big in this one!

Goooooooooooooo Celtics!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 12:20:11 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Also, Markieff Morris says Celtics can't pull off "funeral" attire like Wizards can. "They wanna be us so bad man" lol this guy is full of it.

Hope this is bulletin-board material for the C's tomorrow.

Um, I think he has it backwards. Look up tomorrow night, MM. Win or lose, you're really not a rival. But I think that it's kinda cute that you think we care.

I actually feel pretty good about tomorrow night. And that makes me scared. And then I get nervous that I'm nervous.

Note to self: No more Celticsblog at 12:20 am.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 12:34:24 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Lets go!