Author Topic: Is Rondo next?  (Read 4634 times)

Re: Is Rondo next?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 02:01:40 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I imagine Rondo will sit out part of the year recovering from the ACL injury.  Maybe he sits out all year like Rose.  Maybe it's career ending... who knows.

But if he eventually does come back, we'll probably show case him (to make sure he's back) and then shop him aggressively.  Actually, pretty sure we'll be shopping him aggressively all offseason.  This team isnt' going to be good again for 3-5 years... Rondo will be in his early 30s by the time that happens.  Would be better to have young pups and draft picks that align with our prospective future.

Obviously there are a lot of question marks surrounding Rondo's knee issue, but if he comes back and plays like all star Rondo, why would you trade him? 

Complicated question with a lot of variables, but my answer would be that Rondo is really really good (but not good enough to lead a champion) and would play us out of the lotto.  That seems like it should be a good thing... and some people probably would think it's a good thing, but I don't believe it's a good thing.   Our only hope at landing a superstar is by landing a Top 5 pick.  Rondo's good enough to help us make the playoffs... but we wouldn't have enough to win a title.  I don't think the objective is "making the playoffs".  16 teams (over half the league) make the playoffs every year and not all playoff teams are created equally.  If you honestly felt the Bucks had as much a chance at winning a title this year as the Heat, you haven't been following this league very long.  The objective isn't to limp into the playoffs... I think the objective is building a contender and winning titles. 

Some people look at this season and consider it a "success", because we made the playoffs.

I look at this season as a failure, because we watched a mediocre squad get ripped into by the Knicks in the 1st round.  I would have rather had a top 7 pick and drafted someone like Nerlens Noel.  And in 2014, I'd definitely rather have a top 7 pick than go through another 35-45 win season.  It's really easy to stay mediocre once you're mediocre.  Like the early 00s Celtics... you can add guys like Delonte and Tony Allen and Gerald Green and maybe luck into an Al Jefferson all the while keeping your heads just above the water... but it's not until you bottom out that you get a shot at real improvement... Tanked in 2007, landed a huge top 5 pick trade chip... and won a title in 2008.  And by staying mediocre during the early 00s, you missed out on guys taken at the top of the draft like Yao Ming, LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Deron Williams who could have been building blocks or trade pieces for a quicker shot at contending. 

And if Rondo comes back healthy and starts dropping Triple doubles for a 35-45 win team... you miss out on Wiggins, Randle, Gordan, Smart and Parker.  At the moment that doesn't seem like a big deal... but in retrospect it's awful.   So if Rondo starts playing us out of the lotto and builds up his trade value, I imagine Ainge will be looking to move him for a young guy or draft pick that more aligns with our 3-5 year rebuild.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:08:08 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 02:07:56 AM »

Offline paidthecost2betheboss

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
He gets to be "The Man" for the 1st time since coming here and Doc is gone.

No way he asks to go. Maybe they trade but they just took 2 Centers and a wingman I think. No real PG to take his position. Did we get a great PG with even the possibility of throwing up triple doubles? If we did...then ignore my comment.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 02:11:24 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I imagine Rondo will sit out part of the year recovering from the ACL injury.  Maybe he sits out all year like Rose.  Maybe it's career ending... who knows.

But if he eventually does come back, we'll probably show case him (to make sure he's back) and then shop him aggressively.  Actually, pretty sure we'll be shopping him aggressively all offseason.  This team isnt' going to be good again for 3-5 years... Rondo will be in his early 30s by the time that happens.  Would be better to have young pups and draft picks that align with our prospective future.

Obviously there are a lot of question marks surrounding Rondo's knee issue, but if he comes back and plays like all star Rondo, why would you trade him? 

Complicated question with a lot of variables, but my answer would be that Rondo is really really good (but not good enough to lead a champion) and would play us out of the lotto.  That seems like it should be a good thing... and some people probably would think it's a good thing, but I don't believe it's a good thing.   Our only hope at landing a superstar is by landing a Top 5 pick.  Rondo's good enough to help us make the playoffs... but we wouldn't have enough to win a title.  I don't think the objective is "making the playoffs".  16 teams (over half the league) make the playoffs every year and not all playoff teams are created equally.  If you honestly felt the Bucks had as much a chance at winning a title this year as the Heat, you haven't been following this league very long.  The objective isn't to limp into the playoffs... I think the objective is building a contender and winning titles. 

Some people look at this season and consider it a "success", because we made the playoffs.

I look at this season as a failure, because we watched a mediocre squad get ripped into by the Knicks in the 1st round.  I would have rather had a top 7 pick and drafted someone like Nerlens Noel.  And in 2014, I'd definitely rather have a top 7 pick than go through another 35-45 win season.  It's really easy to stay mediocre once you're mediocre.  Like the early 00s Celtics... you can add guys like Delonte and Tony Allen and Gerald Green and maybe luck into an Al Jefferson all the while keeping your heads just above the water... but it's not until you bottom out that you get a shot at real improvement... Tanked in 2007, landed a huge top 5 pick trade chip... and won a title in 2008.  And by staying mediocre during the early 00s, you missed out on guys taken at the top of the draft like Yao Ming, LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Deron Williams who could have been building blocks or trade pieces for a quicker shot at contending. 

And if Rondo comes back healthy and starts dropping Triple doubles for a 35-45 win team... you miss out on Wiggins, Randle, Gordan, Smart and Parker.  At the moment that doesn't seem like a big deal... but in retrospect it's awful.   So if Rondo starts playing us out of the lotto and builds up his trade value, I imagine Ainge will be looking to move him for a young guy or draft pick that more aligns with our 3-5 year rebuild.

Unless he's willing to pull a Derrick Rose/David Robinson/Paul Pierce and sit out for the season.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 02:11:48 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Rondo needs to stay, rehab and start playing after the All Star. The same goes for Sully. These two are Celtics, hopefully for a long time.

Try to get a couple undrafted rookies (CJ Leslie, Kenny Kadji, Myck Kabongo...) Send Shav and DJ White somewhere for a future 2nd rounder, and do the same with Reggie Evans friendly contract. Package Humphries, Bogans and Jordan Crawford with a protected future 2nd rounder to Cleveland for a TPE to use at the right moment. Cleveland will need to be over the cap floor (not sure how much after they sign their picks), and those are expirings they could keep or move later.

Get a veteran PG (Dooling?)and make him compete with TWill. Play Bradley and Lee at the SG slot, and start Green and Bass at the 3 and 4. Start Olynyk and let Melo backup him. Use Gerald Wallace as the main backup at the 3-4. Send Iverson to the Rock Lobsters. Roster could look like this to start the season:

Dooling/TWill/Rondo(injured)
Bradley/Lee/Kabongo
Green/Wallace/Joseph
Bass/Wallace/Kadji/Sully(injured)
Olynyk/Melo/Iverson(DLeague)

This is a bad roster, but filled with young players to showcase. With Dooling as a veteran presence, and some experienced players (Lee, Green, Bass and Bradley), I think Wallace and the young kids will mesh well in the locker room.

The team will suck without Rondo and Sully, but there'll be minutes for the new guys to show what they got. After the All Star weekend, Rondo and Sully get back into game shape and show they're healthy, but the Cs still get a top 10 pick (or higher). If the pick is good enough to bring a building block, great. If not, use the pick plus the TPE and/or young pieces to try to get an All Star.

The Celtics need to suck only for a year. Healthy Rondo/Sully/Green/Bradley and maybe Olynyk/Melo are a nice group to add on.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 02:19:00 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I also don't believe anyone would have a problem flipping our 2014 draft pick and assorted assets to vaulting us back into contention with Rondo.

The same way we traded to get Pierce some stars that complimented his game.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 02:21:34 AM »

Offline The Playmaker

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I really don't think Rondo is going to be able to make that big of an impact this upcoming season like some are making him out to be.

-Okay first off (and this is clearly assuming) he'll probably miss the first couple months, if not longer.  Now if this is the case then I hope we bring him back with a few games left just to test out his recovery and let him see some action.

-Even if he does come back earlier he's not going to be playing with near the talent as he has since he's basically been in the NBA.  Bradley isn't an offensive threat, we currently don't have a Center, and Sully isn't the biggest offensive threat.  I don't think he's going to be throwing up triple doubles every which way or for that matter double doubles.

-A benefit to him playing a lot though is for him to work on his offensive game.  Outside of Green there really isn't anyone that needs to have the ball a lot.  He can work on shooting, moves, etc.  Probably be valuable to him and the team if we know exactly what his limits are shooting the ball.  Which I think have been exaggerated a bit but would be nice to see him be a main offensive option for once.

-This team sucks.  Even if Rondo starts game 1 I just don't see many wins.  This team went 41-40 last year with KG and PP.  Yes there were many injuries but that's going to happen this year too.  Our offense as of right now is going to be anemic.  No perimeter shooting, no scoring off the bench, and we have more quantity than quality in the front court.  We probably end up dumping some of these guys for picks and low cost guys so it's not like the overall talent of this team is going to improve very much.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 02:28:55 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I would guess it depends on how long Danny thinks it would take to add a few more pieces around Rondo. He's already led teams on deep playoff runs. The odds of him duplicating what he's done in the past is, by any reasonable standard, much more likely than it is you'd acquire a player that can do the same. This is obviously still true if you have a bad record next year.

We can go to the bottom whenever we want and there will always be players in the draft. I don't see why people are so desperate to try and insure we have a long stint at the bottom of the league. I don't know if you were here before KG and RA joined the team but it would be an understatement to say that people were much less happy when we were really bad than they have been during this "wasted season".

Everyone's full of bravado and claiming they'd rather suck than be a decent but not great playoff team because "titles are all that matter". That sentiment dries up after a few years of watching Raef and Wally and Skippy and Green and Davis et al. Posts from people who were glad we sucked because it "increases our odds of getting a superstar" were extremely rare.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 03:08:43 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

There is honestly so much faulty logic in that post that I can't even begin to address all of it.  I kind of stopped taking it seriously, anyway, after "our only hope of landing a superstar is by landing a Top 5 pick."

That just isn't true.  It may be your preferred method.  That's fine, but the fact that it's your preferred method doesn't make it true. 

If you would, please give a list of the current NBA players that you consider "superstars."     

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 03:31:48 AM by Celtics18 »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 07:07:37 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Rondo for Wiggins?  Make it so!  ^_^
It all depends on how the stars align.
Hard to say yet, but I expect a bounceback year from Rondof in the 2013-2014 season.
Better play = better trade value.

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 07:49:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bass is next, I didn't hear him mentioned in the plans for next year, I heard Rondo, Green and Bradley but I didn't hear Bass.  Anyone else hear or not hear that?

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 07:50:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Once he gets healthy, yeah.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 08:22:22 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Bass is next, I didn't hear him mentioned in the plans for next year, I heard Rondo, Green and Bradley but I didn't hear Bass.  Anyone else hear or not hear that?
Bass is a role player, not a foundation player.  why would you expect to hear his name mentioned?  Sully's the future, not Bass.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
The only way we'll be bad enough for Wiggins is if Rondo doesn't play or is traded