Author Topic: NBA’s First Road Kill Champs?  (Read 3711 times)

NBA’s First Road Kill Champs?
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:01:03 PM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
It seems like there is no sense of urgency for the C's to win road games. Paul was jacking up a jumper at least every other drive. One point he selfishly jacked up a 3 because he wanted to take a shot but didn't want to exert the energy he used taking to the basket the previous play. If you don't have the energy Pierce, pass the ball!

Re: NBA’s First Road Kill Champs?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:03:51 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It seems like there is no sense of urgency for the C's to win road games. Paul was jacking up a jumper at least every other drive. One point he selfishly jacked up a 3 because he wanted to take a shot but didn't want to exert the energy he used taking to the basket the previous play. If you don't have the energy Pierce, pass the ball!

How can you say there was no urgency?  The Celts were playing some pretty great D for a stretch in the 4th.  Cavs were matching them on the other end too.  I thought Collins made a great call on the amount of energy being expended on D.  There was urgency tonight, they just got outplayed down the stretch.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:09:23 PM »

• Al Horford
I'm talking more on the offensive side of the ball. Cavs where getting to the basket/line a lot early. LeBron James tweaked his ankle and seemed like he was taking it easy, saving his energy in the 3rd just jacking up 3's and actually making a couple. Then he turned his jets on in the 4th and game over, Cavs win.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:13:02 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

How do you know Paul shot a 3 because he didn't want to expend energy?  Did he tell you that?  I thought he might have took he 3 because it would have tied the game at the time.  I did think it was a bad shot, but I certainly didn't think it was a selfish play, not smart, but not selfish either.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:17:02 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
we better hope so, because for some reason this team doesn't like to push the ball into the paint on the road like it does at home. just tonight:

1. KG catches pass and squares up to the rim to see delonte west in the circle 5 ft in front of him. kicks out to posey-brick.

at home he dunks in delonte's face and screams at the crowd.

2. Pierce on the fast break with only delonte back trys the pull up floater-misses

at home he goes for the drive and mabey gets the foul

3. KG gets the ball of the block, gets around V and sees lebron inside- immedite kick out

At home, one would hope, he trys to take it at james.

For some reason, this team LOATHS to take it into the paint on a drive on the road, and i don't understand why  ??? ???
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 11:19:40 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

How can you say there was no urgency?  The Celts were playing some pretty great D for a stretch in the 4th.  Cavs were matching them on the other end too.  I thought Collins made a great call on the amount of energy being expended on D.  There was urgency tonight, they just got outplayed down the stretch.

The cavs were doing what the celtics should have been doing. They were creating energy on the offensive end by using the energy that they expended on the defensive end. The Celtics rested Garnett and Allen the beginning of the 4th quarter, putting themselves in position to be the team with more energy at the end of the game. Why didn't they take advantage of that when they got these players in? Instead they went to Paul down the stretch, who had been playing the whole quarter. When Collins mentioned the amount of energy being used on D by both teams he also said he wouldn't be surprised if neither team took another jump shot the rest of the game because of fatigue. However after he said that Gibson hit a three, LeBron hit a three, and then LeBron got that ridiculous dunk. I hate to admit it but in comparison to the Cavaliers, the Celtics are playing with a lack of urgency.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:28:17 PM by MattG12 »

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 11:33:20 PM »

• Al Horford
How do you know Paul shot a 3 because he didn't want to expend energy?  Did he tell you that?  I thought he might have took he 3 because it would have tied the game at the time.  I did think it was a bad shot, but I certainly didn't think it was a selfish play, not smart, but not selfish either.

It was a quick shot as the team was running down the floor, almost like Paul was trying to make a fast-break 3-pointer. He should have taken it to the rim maybe getting a whistle like the announcer said. If he didn't want to do that, why not pass it?

we better hope so, because for some reason this team doesn't like to push the ball into the paint on the road like it does at home. just tonight:

1. KG catches pass and squares up to the rim to see delonte west in the circle 5 ft in front of him. kicks out to posey-brick.

at home he dunks in delonte's face and screams at the crowd.

2. Pierce on the fast break with only delonte back trys the pull up floater-misses

at home he goes for the drive and mabey gets the foul

3. KG gets the ball of the block, gets around V and sees lebron inside- immedite kick out

At home, one would hope, he trys to take it at james.

For some reason, this team LOATHS to take it into the paint on a drive on the road, and i don't understand why   

They must not like the contact if they aren't confident in getting the calls on the road. No urgency. Game 7 against Atlanta, they were doing E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G! I hate it when Garnett kicks it out in a close game in the 4th quater of the playoffs. Put it up like LeBron does and get Free Throws!

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:50:42 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I agree to most of you, especially Manchester.  The Celtics just need somebody to take them to the next higher level. However, they've been a big disappointment, especially Pierce. I don't know if he's lazy or plainly slow, but I definitely see him very slow to react in transition. A lot of times he had poor judgement in critical situations. He's not your typical superstar who will bring in the points in succession or somebody who can change the game's tempo. At best he's a better version of Adrian Dantley - a loser. Detroit got rid of him in exchange for Aguirre in the late 80's and then the Pistons won the NBA title the following year.

Doc did some experiment like using more of PJ Brown and benching TA and House. This I've got to say to Doc, we won 66 games with almost everyone playing and contributing. TA and House were in those in won-games.  I guess he has to learn how to pace players properly and use their strengths.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:03:49 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I agree to most of you, especially Manchester.  The Celtics just need somebody to take them to the next higher level. However, they've been a big disappointment, especially Pierce. I don't know if he's lazy or plainly slow, but I definitely see him very slow to react in transition. A lot of times he had poor judgement in critical situations. He's not your typical superstar who will bring in the points in succession or somebody who can change the game's tempo. At best he's a better version of Adrian Dantley - a loser. Detroit got rid of him in exchange for Aguirre in the late 80's and then the Pistons won the NBA title the following year.

Doc did some experiment like using more of PJ Brown and benching TA and House. This I've got to say to Doc, we won 66 games with almost everyone playing and contributing. TA and House were in those in won-games.  I guess he has to learn how to pace players properly and use their strengths.

what puzzles the heck out of me,he expects BBD to come in and be effective in 3-4minutes of play all night.Doesn't make sense to me,what do you think ?

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 12:07:14 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
substitutions are about 2 things: matchups and hot-hands.

big baby was thrown into a situation in which he was too slow - poor matchup.

PJ was the hot-hand, so that was a solid move.  cassell was cold - stupid move to keep him in.

but what baffles me is the disappearance of leon powe.  he is the perfect guy to counter varajao with.

doc still doesn't get it...this team has the talent to win, but sadly, doc is still doc.

if they win, i believe it will be in SPITE of him, and not because of him.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."