Author Topic: Big Three need to act like the Big Three  (Read 5845 times)

Big Three need to act like the Big Three
« on: May 12, 2008, 07:22:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Does anyone else feel that we have yet to see even one game where the Big Three played like a Big Three in these playoffs?

It's that time in the season for superstars to rise up and take control of their destinies(I know kinda dramatic). But, our three superstars have yet to click and be the dominant collective entity that they have been billed to be.

I'm waiting for at least one of those games where Ray, Paul, and Kevin go off for 75 points, 30 rebounds, and 18 assists. These are the type of stat lines we all envisioned when the trades and signings were completed last summer. This was supposed to be the time where they all finally finished gelling and start to overwelmingly dictate what happens in games because there is no way anyone could slow down such a collection of talent.

And for the most part I have to say that I have yet to see anyone shut down the Big Three. I think that has been a self fulfilling event. They are self destructing in many ways showing age, lack of focus, lack of urgency, and lack of maturity at way too many junctures in the games.

I've been patient, and will continue to be until a win or go home game comes up sooner than I think(I don't count game 7 vs Atlanta, that was a gimme). But it's time for superstars to act like superstars and take this team onto their collective backs and carry them to a championship.

We cannot rely on the complimentary players to win this series or championship. They are there to assist and aide in its achievement. But it is the duty of the Big Three to bear the brunt of the responsibility and as of yet, I don't feel like they have done so as a unit.

So wake up guys and do what you promised yourselves you were going to do back in October. As a unit, as three individual superstars, as champions. Wake up and let's start showing the world what superstar Celtic team basketball is all about.

Let's GO CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Big Three need to act like the Big Three
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:31:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'm waiting for at least one of those games where Ray, Paul, and Kevin go off for 75 points, 30 rebounds, and 18 assists. 

How many times did they score 75 points during the regular season?

I'm thinking very few.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 07:35:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I'm waiting for at least one of those games where Ray, Paul, and Kevin go off for 75 points, 30 rebounds, and 18 assists. 

I'm thinking very few.
How many times were they given the chance to score 75 points or needed to score 75 points? Probably even fewer.

But there is no need to rein in a thoroughbred when running in the Kentucky Derby. It full throttle all the way down the stretch.

It's the stretch run and it's time to give the thoroughbred it's head. Let them do the damage they are capable of doing.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
 I wholeheartedly agree with every word and the setiment of your post guy!

I do think they are due to have that collective great game and I like the odds that they do it and in a blowout tonight, while Wally, West and Lebron don't tonight!!!

-Go Celtics-
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 07:39:09 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
i still think we need to lean more toward our bench..the way we are playin now seems the way we shoulda  started the season..we played well then went on a decline..should be the other way around..

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 07:52:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I'm thinking very few.
How many times were they given the chance to score 75 points or needed to score 75 points? Probably even fewer.

But there is no need to rein in a thoroughbred when running in the Kentucky Derby. It full throttle all the way down the stretch.

It's the stretch run and it's time to give the thoroughbred it's head. Let them do the damage they are capable of doing.
Not suprisingly it was none.

Five times over 70 though. Two were led by big nights from an individual, Ray (Portland at home) and Pierce (Seattle away). One was great balance from the trio (Lakers away). Another was a great duo performance where two scored close to 60 (Phoenix at home). Darn it, forget what the fifth was ... away to Golden State, one player leading the charge but solid balance from the three.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
making comparisons to the regular season is useless...this team, quite honestly, breezed through a lot of the season and sat large portions on the bench due to blowout wins.

i agree with the original poster...and i've been making the same statements regarding our 3 star players.  it's time for them to step up and play superstar, heroic basketball.  if that means that, say, pierce has to get a bit "selfish" then so be it.  i want to see some desperation and have yet to see that tonight in game 4 (with about 5 minutes before half-time).
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:18:09 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
In all fairness to KG,he has played  steady,not had any superstar type games,but fairly consistent for the most part.He has had a few  games where he disappeared in the fourth,but has played fairly well overall.Nick,i know that you are speaking about collectively(Big 3),but i couldn't allow the one player who has contributed in a decent way,go down with the other 2 who hasn't. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:27:04 PM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 09:24:01 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
steady is nice at home, but this team needs the superstar version on the road...

whenever the celtics faced big moments in their historical past, their superstars rose to the occasion...KG has that same opportunity to make his mark in celtics lore.  it's time for him to step up and meet that challenge.

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 09:30:23 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
steady is nice at home, but this team needs the superstar version on the road...

whenever the celtics faced big moments in their historical past, their superstars rose to the occasion...KG has that same opportunity to make his mark in celtics lore.  it's time for him to step up and meet that challenge.
For sure,KG hasn't played the way a superstar should in this post season,im just giving him a little credit for not sucking all together. ;D

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I agree .... and Pierce used to have 30 to 40 point games on a regular basis when he was carrying this team, time for another!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 09:32:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

For sure,KG hasn't played the way a superstar should in this post season,im just giving him a little credit for sucking all together. ;D

One thing I've definitely noticed about KG is that he's lost an inch or two on his vertical over the years.  And I'm not just saying that because of the missed alley opp (Man that would have been nice)
Yup

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 09:43:46 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
someone tell pierce that they're playing the second half in new jersey...

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 09:45:08 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton

For sure,KG hasn't played the way a superstar should in this post season,im just giving him a little credit for sucking all together. ;D

One thing I've definitely noticed about KG is that he's lost an inch or two on his vertical over the years.  And I'm not just saying that because of the missed alley opp (Man that would have been nice)
Redz,i was sitting here watching tonight,and one other night i felt he would have jammed it a few yrs.ago,but seems to have lost a little. ;D..is that an appropiate icon? LOL

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 11:04:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
In all fairness to KG,he has played  steady,not had any superstar type games,but fairly consistent for the most part.He has had a few  games where he disappeared in the fourth,but has played fairly well overall.Nick,i know that you are speaking about collectively(Big 3),but i couldn't allow the one player who has contributed in a decent way,go down with the other 2 who hasn't. 
jay jay, you were 100% right in giving KG his props, he has been very steady. And I have to give Pierce props for his defense, just excellent stuff on probably the toughest individual matchup in the league. But I have yet to see one "superstar" game from any of them and as a collective force, if they keep playing the way they are it's time to stop using the Big Three monika to refer to them. It's starting to become very insulting to the original Big Three who came up big when they were supposed to as a unit. This group has yet to show me they deserve any nickname that reminds us of Celtics' past greats. It's time to play big and as of yet, it's not happening.

Horrible statement of just how inept this Big Three can be at times:

In the last 17:20 of the game P.J. Brown outscored Ray Allen and KG combined 4 to 0.

Ouch!!

That's just unacceptable for three players that many think are HOF worthy.