Author Topic: Foul Weather Fans  (Read 11490 times)

Foul Weather Fans
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It's never ceases to amaze me how much more of a buzz there is on CelticsBlog after a loss, than there is after a magnificent effort from our boys.

Is venting just that much more of a useful function of a blog, than critiquing a masterful performance?

With all the griping that goes on about bandwagon jumpers, and fair weather fans, I'd like to take a shot at all the Foul Weather Fans.  Come out and feel the sunshine every now and then.  It actually feels good to feel good

Barring a sweep, put on your raincoats, I'm sure we'll hear from you again. 

Enjoy the games.  Great night to be a C's fan ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 11:24:24 PM by Redz »
Yup

Re: Foul Weather Fans
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:12:02 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
It's never ceases to amaze me how much more of a buzz there is on CelticsBlog after a loss, than there is after a magnificent effort from our boys.

Is venting just that much more of a useful function of a blog, than critiquing a masterful performance?

With all the griping that goes on about bandwagon jumpers, and fair weather fans, I'd like to take a shot at all the Foul Weather Fans.  Come out and feel the sunshine every now and then.  It actually feels good to feel good

Barring a sweep, put on your raincoats, I'm sure we'll here from you again. 

I like this one,****,can't help it Redz ;D

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

i dont think it is really done intentionally.  when things go so well, there isnt really anything to elaborate on or discuss, other than state what went well. when things arent going well, people need to vent.  they also can discuss/debate what went wrong, as well as what they think what could have done to help the team.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 11:16:52 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
As i go from thread to thread,trying to find something new and different to read,post,i was starting to think,where is everyone,did all the CB fans get together,without me knowing,atended the game together.I was thinking,maybe they all got a group rate,and was able to secure a box suite,and having a good ole time in Beantown.Then i thought,nah,its just my imagination again,working overtime. ;D  

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:17:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

i dont think it is really done intentionally.  when things go so well, there isnt really anything to elaborate on or discuss, other than state what went well. when things arent going well, people need to vent.  they also can discuss/debate what went wrong, as well as what they think what could have done to help the team.

I watched the game, then had to fulfill my trade-off for TV rights promise to clean up the kitchen (which took about 20 minutes).  I had figured it would be an absolute bee's hive on here tonight.  Not so much.  I guess that's why I mentioned it.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:20:54 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133

Amen Redz.  In fact it's been quite a dazzling year.  It's been dazzling for those who have kept the faith all these years.  It's been dazzling for new Celts fans who never lived through a dominant Celtic period.  And in fact, I daresay it's been dazzling for all basketball fans to see how this particular group of Celts players have by and large pulled it off with a lot of class.

Here's to the next game!

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:31:50 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
In all fairness, Lost came on right after the game. 

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
In all fairness, Lost came on right after the game. 

See, more negative fodder.  After a big win shouldn't they be watching "Won" instead of "Lost"?

(I apologize for that horrendous bit of punnery  ::) couldn't help myself)
Yup

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 11:44:27 PM »

Offline DingDongDel

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
i dont think it is really done intentionally.  when things go so well, there isnt really anything to elaborate on or discuss, other than state what went well. when things arent going well, people need to vent.  they also can discuss/debate what went wrong, as well as what they think what could have done to help the team.

building off that, it's like that Tolstoy quote, "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

When we win, we win. No use debating who won it. When we lose, there are a lot of different culprits to pin it on. Plus, for myself, for some reason, some good ol' Doc bashing just feels right. Old habits die hard I spose.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 12:09:51 AM »

Offline johnnymost

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • This year
Having officially calling myself a bandwagon jumping fair weather fan because of my deep disappointment in game 6, my journey thru the desert in may and june left me shattered when I thought that The 2008 edition of the Boston Celtics were done.

I will waffle again.  I think they can go all the way now.  Again.

See, I guess it's easier to be a fair weather fan, because the stress on my health and welfare sometimes overcomes me, and I felt that coming on, and the fact that I knew I couldn't afford a new tv either. So, if you lose faith, then the disappointment is easier to take (I stopped following the Red Sox, and any other team in1986). I think I'm going to jump back in. I confess. At least I understand I have had this same problem for almost 50 years.

I am a Celtaholic. At least I understand I have a problem
No more waiting

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 12:18:35 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

building off that, it's like that Tolstoy quote, "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

When we win, we win. No use debating who won it. When we lose, there are a lot of different culprits to pin it on. Plus, for myself, for some reason, some good ol' Doc bashing just feels right. Old habits die hard I spose.

While I do not think like the above poster, I have accepted that some people get angry when their team loses and want to vent. I, on the other hand, am saddened by loses, not angered, but I guess I'm not the angry type.

Would it surprise anyone if the people who like to complain are more prolific posters that the people who prefer to share their happiness with others?

I figure celticsblog plays a different role for different people. Some want to show off their basketball genius, some want to vent anger, some want to feel a sense of community, and some want to celebrate the Celtics.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 12:20:17 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Having officially calling myself a bandwagon jumping fair weather fan because of my deep disappointment in game 6, my journey thru the desert in may and june left me shattered when I thought that The 2008 edition of the Boston Celtics were done.

I will waffle again.  I think they can go all the way now.  Again.

See, I guess it's easier to be a fair weather fan, because the stress on my health and welfare sometimes overcomes me, and I felt that coming on, and the fact that I knew I couldn't afford a new tv either. So, if you lose faith, then the disappointment is easier to take (I stopped following the Red Sox, and any other team in1986). I think I'm going to jump back in. I confess. At least I understand I have had this same problem for almost 50 years.

I am a Celtaholic. At least I understand I have a problem

As am I...I am addicted to Celtahol, a substance as yet not discovered by medical science but as forceful as gravity upon my soul.  And yeah, lots more hateration than love on this site overall...and I expect that to continue in any conceivable scenario but one: the day that we clinch #17 I expect a huge amount of traffic, and almost all will be positive.  Sweet dreams of 10 more Ws to you all...

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 12:21:55 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78

Barring a sweep, put on your raincoats, I'm sure we'll hear from you again. 

Outstanding post, TP to you, couldn't have said it better myself.  One theory I have, is that many cut their teeth here during some lean times, when wins were hard to come by, so criticizing, especially Doc, was easy, everyone can be an expert on what should and shouldn't be done and do lots of second guessing when the team is crappy.  We should all see now, many have already, many have not, how limited in fact Wally and Delonte really are. 

It always amused me how much grief Doc took for his "lack of a true rotation" or "playing small ball", things that are necessary when your players suck, nobody emerges to grab hold of the top 7 spots, and the only possible way to get back in games you are behind, which was a ton of C's games the last few years, is to go with a smaller lineup to try and press, trap and gamble, and find some way to get back in the game.  Any decent coach would have done these things with the roster we had the past couple of years. 

The armchair geniuses don't nearly have as much to say or second guess when things are going as well as they are now.  Oh, they still rear their reactionary heads when a bad game, or even a bad quarter or half happens, but in general, it is hard to look good being the astute critic when things are going well.  Think Belichick and the Pats the last few years, not many have much to say about what should have happened differently.

We should all expect the Cavs to come out and play like their playoff lives depend on it in Game 3, most teams do when playoff series change venues (see San Antonio), so if the Celts happen to have any type of letdown, there is no reason to start suggesting all sorts of new things we should be doing.  But inevitably it will happen, a bunch of coach wannabees who just know they could manage a game better than Doc and his staff.  Never mind that the strategy and style that has worked all season is rarely to blame, it is usually a lack of execution by the players, but most are at least smart enough not to suggest they could have made more shots, or have fewer turnovers than the players, so the coach becomes an easy target. 

Here's hoping the C's win Game 3 just to keep the naysayers away, but even if they don't, I for one am not going to make sweeping conclusions or cry out for drastic changes.

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 12:28:05 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Have to agree ... while winning is far more fun than losing, true "discussion" generally relies on discourse, and discourse is more consistently generated from negative things, not positive ... that's just the way of the world.

Fortunately, it's out of a longing for improvement and a hope of correcting problems and failures that we DO discuss the negative. The root of most discussion and discourse is negative, but the catalyst is very positive, indeed, and hopefully the outcome as well.

I've noticed many, many times, (as I'm sure most here have), that there are far more things to discuss after a loss, or even a sloppy win, than there are following a win. Nothing wrong with that, in fact, it just shows how eager we are to make things better, or at least come to a positive understanding about what went wrong, and that's a good thing, too.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that people shouldn't worry about the discrepency between the amount of discussion following wins and losses. If we didn't have more to discuss after a loss than a win, then THAT would be something to worry about!

Apathy is the true enemy here, and it's clear to me that there's far too much passion on this blog, and about our beloved Celtics, for that to ever be an issue!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 03:58:46 AM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
Some people post more than others.  Does not make them bigger Celtics fans.  Just makes them bigger fans of Celticsblog.