Author Topic: Was Going and getting Parker and then not playing him a white flag.  (Read 7611 times)

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
We need more vets on this team if we want to be good but also Brad has to play them instead of the likes of Edwards and Waters. I'd rather watch Fournier run the point than either of those guys on the floor. Brad should already be in his playoff rotations and if you are relying on Edwards, Romeo, Waters, Grant, or Semi you aren't playing to win.

I can't think of a single good team in the NBA without good vets coming off their bench. Am I missing one?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:44:38 PM by liam »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I’m baffled as well

He played a bunch in his first games here - even though at that point he hadn’t played anywhere in months. And he looked good! He was having a positive impact.

Then poof! He disappeared.

No idea.
Very frustrating.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
At this point I chalk it up to BS being BS. He will play whoever he wants regardless if the team is more likely to lose. He has always been weird with who to play on the roster.

One thing I don't know is, are there things behind the scene? Maybe guys aren't doing meetings and showing up early on travel days. If guys aren't being professional they probably won't play. Then add injuries that team won't disclose. Look at JB, bad wrist for almost a week and no mention till surgery. There could be non court related reasons guys aren't playing. 

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Parker is better than Semi, Carson, Romeo, Grant, Luke and he is not playing! Something not right
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
First trading Theis and then really "red shirting" Parker are the two moves that I question as well.  I have heard that Parker doesn't know the schemes or the sets but they are playing Kornet who hasn't been here all that much longer (and certainly isn't any better than Parker).  Not too worried about this either way as I don't expect Parker to make all that much difference but it does seem as though he could be helping the team.

I have heard nothing to even try to explain why Theis was traded.  There has been a vague inference to the salary cap/tax but it really isn't clear at all why a team in the play off hunt would trade a useful player at a position of need  for essentially nothing.  His contract was $5M and it would have been hard to get there otherwise but it seems as though there could have been another option.

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Not sure I’d call it a white flag per se.  They let go of someone who was only getting garbage time minutes and was an unrestricted free agent, and picked up someone else who is garbage time/DNPs with an almost fully non-guaranteed deal next year (only $100k if he doesn’t make the team out of preseason).  He’s getting an extended audition, so they can work with him throughout the offseason and not merely just next October as they might if they signed him this summer.  At the time the move was made, it’s not like there were a lot of other good options available that were playoff eligible.  The hope is that Parker becomes a vet bench option next season, but he’s easy to move on from if he’s not ready to be that in 5-6 months.  If Parker were able to contribute this year it would have been a bonus.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Parker is better than Semi, Carson, Romeo, Grant, Luke and he is not playing! Something not right

Didnt Brad say on a presser recently, that he doeent know the plays yet

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
First trading Theis and then really "red shirting" Parker are the two moves that I question as well.  I have heard that Parker doesn't know the schemes or the sets but they are playing Kornet who hasn't been here all that much longer (and certainly isn't any better than Parker).  Not too worried about this either way as I don't expect Parker to make all that much difference but it does seem as though he could be helping the team.

I have heard nothing to even try to explain why Theis was traded.  There has been a vague inference to the salary cap/tax but it really isn't clear at all why a team in the play off hunt would trade a useful player at a position of need  for essentially nothing.  His contract was $5M and it would have been hard to get there otherwise but it seems as though there could have been another option.

I think the reason they traded him is because they intended to bench him once Thompson was back, which occurred a week after the trade deadline.  If you recall, he was benched the second half of the Houston game, and was told by Stevens that they were only going to have a two big rotation, and that essentially he was out of it.  My guess is a promise was made to try to find him a new team by the deadline, out of respect to a vet who was in a free agency year and had been a good teammate for 3.5 years.  And, for whatever reason (maybe speaking to Theis’ value around the league) this was the best they could do.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Luxury tax

At all cost Wyc and owners were not going to pay it

What othet moves could they have made?  Nobody wants Edwards... doesnt look like they were going to trade Thompson

With the trade for Fournier... Danny took a risk

I would say the scoring is a little better but defense has suffered

Its funny looking back ...TT and Theis or TL and Theis was one of the teams better defensive lineups

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
@ Vermont Green, having to move Theis was that if C's are in playoffs they were going to be bonuses and it would put them into the tax. So by moving Theis they made enough room. Irony now is, C's might get bounced in the play in. Penny pinching may have costed them a lot more than they were seeking to save.

Re: Was Going and getting Parker and then not playing him a white flag.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 09:29:19 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Didnt Brad say on a presser recently, that he doeent know the plays yet

He did, and there’s probably some truth to that. But, going off of improvisation alone, he was contributing positively and helping the team.  He was a +21 in his first seven games.  Despite that, he gradually lost playing time.

Now, some of that is due to the emergence of Nesmith, and I’m okay with that.  But, when a guy is shooting above 50% from the floor and is helping the team outscore its opponents, I think it sends the wrong message to bench him.

It’s not something worth getting profoundly upset about. I think the team was pretty clear that this is a two-year project. That said, I do agree that it makes no sense to give some of the other scrubs playing time over Jabari.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 09:32:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
@ Vermont Green, having to move Theis was that if C's are in playoffs they were going to be bonuses and it would put them into the tax. So by moving Theis they made enough room. Irony now is, C's might get bounced in the play in. Penny pinching may have costed them a lot more than they were seeking to save.

Yup

But I dont think you can blame Wyc either

They have paid tax and been over the cap for years

This was the ideal season (business wise) not to pay it (repeat w/covid)

Danny has struggled with less resources.  There are 5 players from the 2019 draft.  And only one barely get mins (Grant).   

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 09:35:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
First couple of games he put effort into defense (even if he didn't always know where to go)

That effort faded fast.

Honestly, rather see the minutes go to other players anyways. 

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 09:54:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

Yeah, I guess I get that but it is still really unfortunate.  I am sure they tried other things but Carsen Edwards and a second to someone and not taking back Kornet and Wagner probably gets them there too.

I think by trading Theis, it was a concession by ownership that they were not committed to this season.  I understand staying under the tax was important but I think this was the wrong message and this message was not lost on the players.  The team has played bad ever since.  You can say, you are pros, making millions, suck it up and play, but there is no doubt to me that something changed with the team.  To me, it was Theis, both in terms of what he did on the court (which we miss) and the message it seemed to send to the players (and maybe also the coach).

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2021, 09:54:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Yup

But I dont think you can blame Wyc either

They have paid tax and been over the cap for years

This was the ideal season (business wise) not to pay it (repeat w/covid)

Danny has struggled with less resources.  There are 5 players from the 2019 draft.  And only one barely get mins (Grant).
I do blame them. Yes they have been over cap but not in the tax as often as they should be for a big market team. They have made a ton of money, to want to avoid the tax is greed.

Got no defense on DA's 5 guys from one draft. Its ridiculous to have them all on rookie deals and unproven but that's what hoarding does to you. Saving money is also the reason he does it. With all the rookies you can make a big FA signing. Problem is they are bad and unplayable. DA blew that draft.