Author Topic: Signing Posey gave C's best chance to win a title. It did?  (Read 48611 times)

Signing Posey gave C's best chance to win a title. It did?
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:56:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have read this statement, not verbatum but in context, about a hundred times over the last week or so:

"The Celtics need to resign James Posey because it gives them the best chance at winning another title during their window."

Or something like that.

As the greatest thespian on the planet once said in the movie Philadelphia, "Explain this to me like I'm a four-year-old, okay?"!! Because I don't get it.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 01:28:09 PM by Jeff »

Re: Signing Posey gave C's best chance to win a title. It did???????
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:02:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I don't either. I love Posey but he's a roll player. He got 25 million dollars, he's maybe worth 10 million and that's a lot of money.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:08:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
He's the best role player on the market and he's proven to be a difference maker on the Celtics title winning team. Proven quality.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's the best role player on the market and he's proven to be a difference maker on the Celtics title winning team. Proven quality.
supposedly...

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 09:11:28 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

Exactly.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
supposedly...

2 titles in 3 years says something.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
The logic was lets bring back the same team that won 66 games and an NBA championship. And obviously Posey was a important cog off the bench throu the playoffs. Posey seem to be an important chemistry guy as well. Wade was saying how important the guy was to there championship.

Looks like we are going to find out how important he was.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
He stopped lebron, He got the important game 6 steal against the pistons to seal the deal. He hugged the big three before every game haha, but seriously that is pure leadership

Big three will be affected the most by this.

Its a lose lose situation for everyone. Hornets still don't have a chance with the team they have and the celts just got a little worst losing posey

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 09:17:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I know its Hoopsworld but didn't anybody else read this little tidbit (old news now but interesting)

The Boston Celtics offered up a James Posey sign-and-trade to land Artest, but obviously that's not going to happen. As HOOPSWORLD's Jessica Camerato broke earlier today, Posey is now a New Orleans Hornet.

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 09:34:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Didn't San Antonio and Miami and Detroit all try that "Let's bring back the same crew and repeat." philosphy? How'd that work out for them. Bringing back the same crew guarantees nothing and therefore is not the best chance to repeat.

The Celtics have the best starting 5 in the league. As two of those players grow and the 3 others slowly diminish, their needs off the bench will change. Next's year's bench will probably have to provide different things than last year's bench.

It is possible that a bench consisting of players not named Cassell, Brown, Posey, Allen and House will provide more of what this year's team will need. Giddens, Walker, and O'Bryant are young chips that Danny wants to develop. One or two might become something unexpected. In the meantime what's to say that the current team plus Kurt Thomas, Matt Barnes and Starbury(yikes, I hate the thought of him in Green) wouldn't actually be a better team than last year's.

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 09:35:21 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Who, that we realistically can sign so don't say Josh Smith, would give us a better shot for the next two years? There were times in the playoffs that you wanted Posey out there instead of Ray. other times when we needed to spread the floor and you needed someone to play the 4 who could hit the 3. We needed his mean streak too. So if Posey doesn't give us the best chance to win, who does? Give me the names? Marbury? Barnes? Kurt Thomas? Who???????(7 right?)

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 09:35:54 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I have read this statement, not verbatum but in context, about a hundred times over the last week or so:

"The Celtics need to resign James Posey because it gives them the best chance at winning another title during their window."

Or something like that.

As the greatest thespian on the planet once said in the movie Philadelphia, "Explain this to me like I'm a four-year-old, okay?"!! Because I don't get it.

Who said that? Hanks? Washington? Banderas?
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 09:37:38 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Looks like we are going to find out how important he was.

I don't think we are. If we underperform, people will say that the Big 3 are ageing or blame Doc, for example. If we get a 6th man that scores and rebound more than Posey but the team does worse, this will be even more evident. The proper understanding of the role-player concept is rarely found. There aren't going to be many making the point that GPA are struggling because they can't have a rest on the defensive side or they lack the spacing (or the screens, the post entry passes, etc.) that Posey provided last season.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Who said that? Hanks? Washington? Banderas?

Denzel.
do it

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
supposedly...

2 titles in 3 years says something.

You mean about now being in the same class as Greg Kite?
Now, on to 18...