Author Topic: Trading Paul Pierce....  (Read 5230 times)

Trading Paul Pierce....
« on: December 05, 2012, 11:58:22 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
I recall Danny telling Red that he would have traded Bird when Bird was no longer "Bird-like", which is basically when his back could no longer stand the pounding and Bird was at the end of his career. I see the same for our beloved Captain. While the will is there, he's really becoming a liability especially on the defensive side. Sure he still has a good game or two but overall I'm sorry but he is not a benefit to this team right now. His skills are declining.

I think Danny can and will pull the trigger if the right offer came up by the deadline. Only problem is this....Rondo is attached at the hip to Paul. Many may not see it, but Rondo feels a sense of commitment to Paul and you can see it if you watch closely in games. No matter how much Paul is struggling, Rondo still tries to get him buckets, unlike he did with #20. He would ice #20 in a heartbeat if his shots weren't falling. He doesn't and won't do that with Paul. I think if Danny got rid of Pierce before the season ended, Rondo would sulk like he did with Perk which wouldn't be a good thing.

Lastly, I would AT MINIMUM tinker with the idea of starting Green and bringing Paul off the bench. Don't know how happy he'd be about that but oh well.

Of course this is just my opinion, but it bothers me to see Paul struggle on the offensive end and on defense....well, I'll save that for another night!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

Re: Trading Paul Pierce....
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 12:08:08 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I recall Danny telling Red that he would have traded Bird when Bird was no longer "Bird-like", which is basically when his back could no longer stand the pounding and Bird was at the end of his career. I see the same for our beloved Captain. While the will is there, he's really becoming a liability especially on the defensive side. Sure he still has a good game or two but overall I'm sorry but he is not a benefit to this team right now. His skills are declining.

I think Danny can and will pull the trigger if the right offer came up by the deadline. Only problem is this....Rondo is attached at the hip to Paul. Many may not see it, but Rondo feels a sense of commitment to Paul and you can see it if you watch closely in games. No matter how much Paul is struggling, Rondo still tries to get him buckets, unlike he did with #20. He would ice #20 in a heartbeat if his shots weren't falling. He doesn't and won't do that with Paul. I think if Danny got rid of Pierce before the season ended, Rondo would sulk like he did with Perk which wouldn't be a good thing.

Lastly, I would AT MINIMUM tinker with the idea of starting Green and bringing Paul off the bench. Don't know how happy he'd be about that but oh well.

Of course this is just my opinion, but it bothers me to see Paul struggle on the offensive end and on defense....well, I'll save that for another night!

I don't agree with trading PP, but I might be on board with bringing him off the bench if he continues to struggle against quicker more athletic 3's.  I have been wondering for a while now how PP would react to Doc doing to him what Doc did to RA last year.  Would green blossom as a starter?  I have no idea.  Would PP be able to dominate backup 3's more than green?  Probably.  Does it mess with team chemistry to move PP to the bench?  absolutely...

If PP was a bit smaller / quicker I think moving him to the 2 and green starting at the 3 would have been a good solution until AB gets back.  It would let terry come off the bench w/ PP and create a lot of mismatches.  Probably never happen though.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:26:46 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
PP won't be traded unless he wants to be and even then he might not be. Dunca, KG, Pierce, Kobe, and Dirk will never be traded.  And I am not talking about No Trade Clauses which all those other guys have. It's about legacy and tradition.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 01:55:15 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
PP won't be traded unless he wants to be and even then he might not be. Dunca, KG, Pierce, Kobe, and Dirk will never be traded.  And I am not talking about No Trade Clauses which all those other guys have. It's about legacy and tradition.

Trust me, danny will trade pierce if the right piece came along. Pierce has already been on the trading block before. Legacy and tradition lol.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 02:33:16 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

So, what great piece you will get in return so that you have a starting-caliber, go-to scorer?

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 02:43:42 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Danny was very close to trading paul to the nets last year for their early first round pick and a filler. Nets wanted him but settled for trading that pick to portland for gerald wallace.

Not sure if it was the pick that ended up being Lillard or Meyers Leonard.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 05:01:55 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

Danny was very close to trading paul to the nets last year for their early first round pick and a filler. Nets wanted him but settled for trading that pick to portland for gerald wallace.

Not sure if it was the pick that ended up being Lillard or Meyers Leonard.

It's Lillard.

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 07:37:25 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I would trade Pierce in a heartbeat. Has anybody been watching his play at all this season?

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:58:57 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Chad Ford:

Heard a couple of rumors that Rudy Gay could be on the block? Any chance the Grizzlies trade him? Chad Ford (1:04 PM): It was explored this summer ... but now that the Grizzlies are playing the best basketball of any team in the NBA? I don't see it. This team has a legitimate chance to win a NBA title this year. You don't mess with that.

If we could somehow land Rudy Gay for Pierce then I would do it.

Why for C's? We get younger. Gay's contract runs until 2015, which is when most of our contracts expire. Although we are sending Pierce to Memphis, they are a serious contender and it would save some face with fans and media.

Why for Grizzlies? Gay's contract expiries in 2015, but most importantly it has increases each year with a max of over 19M in the final year. That might be too much for a small market team to absorb. Plus, there is only a partial guarantee of Pierce's deal next season (5M I believe), so they could have the option of saving even further money if they decide to waive him after this season.

I'm fairly certain that the Grizz would have to strongly consider a package of Pierce, a prospect (Melo), 2013 1st rd pick, and cash (if necessary) for Gay. Not to mention that Pierce probably fits better in Memphis' halfcourt offensive style (alongside Gasol & Randolph) because of his game and shooting ability, while Gay is better suited to run with Rondo in the uptempo system we continue to want to run.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:05:26 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 08:08:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Danny was wrong, Red was right.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:11:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Chad Ford:

Heard a couple of rumors that Rudy Gay could be on the block? Any chance the Grizzlies trade him? Chad Ford (1:04 PM): It was explored this summer ... but now that the Grizzlies are playing the best basketball of any team in the NBA? I don't see it. This team has a legitimate chance to win a NBA title this year. You don't mess with that.

If we could somehow land Rudy Gay for Pierce then I would do it.

Why for C's? We get younger. Gay's contract runs until 2015, which is when most of our contracts expire. Although we are sending Pierce to Memphis, they are a serious contender and it would save some face with fans and media.

Why for Grizzlies? Gay's contract expiries in 2015, but most importantly it has increases each year with a max of over 19M in the final year. That might be too much for a small market team to absorb. Plus, there is only a partial guarantee of Pierce's deal next season (5M I believe), so they could have the option of saving even further money if they decide to waive him after this season.

I'm fairly certain that the Grizz would have to strongly consider a package of Pierce, a prospect (Melo), 2013 1st rd pick, and cash (if necessary) for Gay. Not to mention that Pierce probably fits better in Memphis' halfcourt offensive style (alongside Gasol & Randolph) because of his game and shooting ability, while Gay is better suited to run with Rondo in the uptempo system we continue to want to run.
I don't see PP getting traded at this point of his career.  However, IF Danny were to trade him, this would be the kind of deal I could understand.  not fond of Gay's contract but adding him to the current lineup while only losing PP/Melo would be a real coup

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 08:17:49 AM »

Offline celtics2

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 42
Rondo went into mourning when Perk went can't imagine how he'd react with Pierce gone. Besides don't think we'd get much in return to help us. He is still capable of shoring up this team.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 08:33:13 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I've been a fan of the Rudy Gay for Paul Pierce trade idea for a long time now. If Memphis would do that, I'd pull the trigger immediately.

That said, I think Pierce has gotten too old. I can't see them giving up Gay for Paul at this point. Gay has improved considerably over the last two years and Pierce's few remaining seasons keep getting less and less.

I think the window (if there ever was one to begin with) for a Gay for Pierce trade has closed.

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

...which Danny saw when he was in Red's position.

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:53:10 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

...which Danny saw when he was in Red's position.

Really? Because he offered Pierce to NJ for their 1st rd pick and nearly finalized Allen for Mayo.