Author Topic: Available free agents, who fits?  (Read 3351 times)

Available free agents, who fits?
« on: July 01, 2023, 08:18:48 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Looking around on Spotrac at remaining free agents, still several that look interesting.

Terence Davis- 26 -  mentioned with Boston.
Darius Bazely- Boston native, 23 years old.
Trendon Watford- mentioned in other thread. 22 years old.
Romeo Langford - 23
Kevin Knox. - 23
Mo Bamba - 25
Jalen McDaniels - probably can't afford
Derrick Jones Jr - 26
Justice Winslow 27
TJ Warren 29
Javonte Green 29
Willy Hernangomez 29
Torrey Craig 32
JaMychal Green 33
Blake Griffin 34
Patrick Beverly 34

3 point guards under 30 with decent exepience:

Dennis Smith Jr
Frank Ntilikini
Aaron Holiday

In case someone gets traded and we need a backup pg.

Re: Available free agents, who fits?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 08:25:13 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I’ve always been a Bazley fan, but I have to imagine if he’s taking the minimum he’ll want to go somewhere where he has a chance at minutes.

Davis was someone I mentioned prior to free agency starting, so I’m all on board with him.

Bamba just so people could see how he’s no better than Kornet so we could stop hearing about him.

Beverly if he accepted he might not be in the rotation.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 08:30:42 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
The 5 million exception - can you give 2.5 million of it to 2 different players?

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 08:43:05 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
With these end of bench guys, personality and character really matters. Which of these don't have to get playing time, but also stay engaged in practice to develop their game and be ready to make an impact when their name is called?

A guy we were rumored to be after last year and is not on the list was Thomas Bryant. He'd be a very effective and product 4 big man. I think he signed with LA last year because he thought he'd get more playing time. He did initially, then was benched, then was traded and got a ring.

I like Davis on this list. I'm good bringing back Blake.

I'm also one of those that thinks Bamba could have his moments in the right situation. If he played Rob's role in backup minutes, would that unlock something?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 08:50:37 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 09:01:36 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
The 5 million exception - can you give 2.5 million of it to 2 different players?

I think technically you can, but I can’t see it being worth it beyond maybe an aggressive offer to someone coming off a 2-way who’s a restricted free agent.  It’s below the minimum for many vets.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 09:17:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
With these end of bench guys, personality and character really matters. Which of these don't have to get playing time, but also stay engaged in practice to develop their game and be ready to make an impact when their name is called?

A guy we were rumored to be after last year and is not on the list was Thomas Bryant. He'd be a very effective and product 4 big man. I think he signed with LA last year because he thought he'd get more playing time. He did initially, then was benched, then was traded and got a ring.

I like Davis on this list. I'm good bringing back Blake.

I'm also one of those that thinks Bamba could have his moments in the right situation. If he played Rob's role in backup minutes, would that unlock something?
Me too. Know the team, happy to have strings of DNP-CD, comes in and plays hard.

With the Brissett signing, I'm guessing that Brad is pretty much done. See how things work out with Grant.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2023, 09:19:43 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton

I think technically you can, but I can’t see it being worth it beyond maybe an aggressive offer to someone coming off a 2-way who’s a restricted free agent.  It’s below the minimum for many vets.

Thanks. Was thinking if Brad liked a couple guys at a min contact that normally would be 2.1 or 2.2 million, maybe he could offer 2.5 that way. Not a huge difference I know but if their only other offer is a minimum deal maybe it helps

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2023, 09:40:08 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
Dennis Smith Jr to Nets

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 09:40:49 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Thanks. Was thinking if Brad liked a couple guys at a min contact that normally would be 2.1 or 2.2 million, maybe he could offer 2.5 that way. Not a huge difference I know but if their only other offer is a minimum deal maybe it helps

My read is they are very unlikely to use the tax-MLE at all. It hard caps them at the second apron and they'll probably value at least having the option to go over this year more than using the tax MLE.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2023, 10:30:01 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Like Davis & Willy H.,,,guess what they do with Grant will depend on what Celtics do next
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2023, 10:33:05 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Like Davis & Willy H.,,,guess what they do with Grant will depend on what Celtics do next

Willy H would be a nice fourth big.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2023, 10:57:06 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2707
Pat Bev and Jamychal Green. Two experienced rotation guys who can defend.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2023, 11:21:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Looking around on Spotrac at remaining free agents, still several that look interesting.

Terence Davis- 26 -  mentioned with Boston.
Darius Bazely- Boston native, 23 years old.
Trendon Watford- mentioned in other thread. 22 years old.
Romeo Langford - 23
Kevin Knox. - 23
Mo Bamba - 25
Jalen McDaniels - probably can't afford
Derrick Jones Jr - 26
Justice Winslow 27
TJ Warren 29
Javonte Green 29
Willy Hernangomez 29
Torrey Craig 32
JaMychal Green 33
Blake Griffin 34
Patrick Beverly 34

3 point guards under 30 with decent exepience:

Dennis Smith Jr
Frank Ntilikini
Aaron Holiday

In case someone gets traded and we need a backup pg.

Derrick Jones Jr would be a nice 3rd string PF. An athletic hustle guy.

Not skilled enough to be a clear cut rotation player. A bit of a liability in that role as he has shown over the last few seasons on 3 different teams (MIA, CHI, POR).

But I like him as a 3rd stringer. A guy who can come in with energy and hustle and possibly make some game-changing plays with his speed & athleticism.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2023, 11:33:46 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

Willy H would be a nice fourth big.

I see centers more as a 3rd stringers than 4th bigs.

I feel our 4th big needs to be able to play minutes at PF. That we need a big with quicker feet who can defend well out on the floor away from the rim in our 4th big.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2023, 03:32:42 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
Would love to get Davis and Watford as backup SG and PF. Brissett backup SF.  Would be hard for all of them to get minutes but we are talking about players 9, 10, and 11 so they will be right there in the mix.