Author Topic: Looking at being a bit creative for our roster  (Read 1947 times)

Looking at being a bit creative for our roster
« on: June 28, 2023, 05:51:25 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
The first trade I'm looking at is the Rockets.  They have plenty of cap room and might be willing to take on a contract for a 1st.  We got an extra for with the Smart trade plus we've gained multiple 2nd round picks over the draft.  The Celtics do this trade by getting a young player who's signed for 4 years.  Porter Jr. could play 1-3 but he's a great play maker and could be the full time point and run well with White.  Rockets do this trade to get a veteran in the locker room and also run the point when back.  Granted this trade only really works if Harden doesn't go to the Rockets.  With Brogdon they also receive a 1st and a young point guard they can use with Pritchard.

Celtics trade
Malcolm Brogdon, Payton Pritchard and a 2024 1st pick.

Houston Rocket trade
Kevin Porter Jr.

The second trade is a sign and trade with Dallas.  It seems they have some interest in Grant Williams and they have two players I'd be interested in.  Bullock give's us a tough small forward defender and can score when needed.  Jaden Hardy is a young player ,signed for 2 years still that can play the 1 or 2.  Grant gives Dallas a stretch four that would play well next to Luka

Celtics trade
S&T Grant Williams, 13-16 million a year

Dallas
Reggie Bullock and Jaden Hardy

Starting 5
C- Williams
PF - Porzingis
SF - Tatum
SG - Brown
PG - Porter Jr.

Backup 5
C - Horford
PF - Kabengele (Sign to a main roster deal)
SF - Bullock
SG - White
PG - Davison (Sign to main roster deal)

Back of bench rotation
PG, SG - Hardy
C - Kornet
SF - Hauser
SF - Jordan Walsh (send him up to Maine)

With free agency could bring in a better piece for the bench to replace Kabengele and Davison, but I personally keep them on the main roster as cheap players.  If looking to bring in another cheap center and someone who the fans would love to see again Tacko Falls.  In China he's been playing really well and would be a good spell center for 10-15 minutes a game to keep Williams fresher. 

Re: Looking at being a bit creative for our roster
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 05:52:52 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Kevin Porter Jr. isn't a starting point guard on a good team.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 05:55:55 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
When thinking outside the box goes wrong...

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 06:26:28 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
Kevin Porter Jr. isn't a starting point guard on a good team.

Why would you say that?  I'm curious.  I'm looking at a Porter Jr. who last year average only .6 less assist then Marcus Smart.  Played on not a good team and didn't have the chance to average more assist because of surrounding talent.  So add his talent to a team where he can play point guard, and have players like Tatum, Brown, Porzingis and Williams in his starting line up to pass to.  I'm pretty sure he'll make up that .6 and go higher.  Not just the assist but .1 less in steals compared to Smart, grabs 2 more rebounds and scores a lot more.  Granted his scoring would go down here but having a 4th option that can score consistantly would be nice.   

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 06:27:54 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla

When looking for a cheap Tommy Point so he feels better about himself happens. 

If you're going to post at least put effort into a post.  Have a discussion, make some points. 

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2023, 06:38:28 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Given his ball-hog nature, off-court issues, etc., I think Brogdon's value is more than Porter by himself. I would also argue that Pritchard + 1st is more than Porter's value.

Not really interested in him.

The second trade isn't bad. I like Bullock and Hardy.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 06:48:23 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

If you're going to post at least put effort into a post.  Have a discussion, make some points.

I couldn't resist being snarky, but it's a really out there idea. Even though none of us know these athletes personally, from all indications KPJ has character questions and all he's accomplished in the league is put up numbers on a tanking team. He's undeniably talented, but we don't need a young, inexperienced PG right now. We need someone with experience to help run the offense, someone who will actually play defense, and someone who won't mind that he's not going to get a lot of shots. He really seems like the opposite of the type of player we need, which is why I responded the way I did.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 08:09:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wouldn’t trade Brogdon straight up for Porter Jr.

We do not need a volatile, ball-dominant, turnover-prone weak defender. He can keep padding stats on trash teams
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2023, 09:02:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
There are probably 10 players on the Rockets I'd want more than Porter. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 11:01:38 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
Given his ball-hog nature, off-court issues, etc., I think Brogdon's value is more than Porter by himself. I would also argue that Pritchard + 1st is more than Porter's value.

Not really interested in him.

The second trade isn't bad. I like Bullock and Hardy.

He did have some off the court issues but since then we haven't heard much really.  I do think Brogdon holds a lot of value but I'm looking at his age and injury history.  Yes, Porter is seen as a ball hog at times but I believe that's because he's on a bad time where he has to be.  So with coming here, he'd be able to become a better point guard and also with his contract with his skill set is really steal.  Specially when looking at what the cap is going to look like if we sign Brown and Tatum to max deals.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2023, 11:06:12 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla

I couldn't resist being snarky, but it's a really out there idea. Even though none of us know these athletes personally, from all indications KPJ has character questions and all he's accomplished in the league is put up numbers on a tanking team. He's undeniably talented, but we don't need a young, inexperienced PG right now. We need someone with experience to help run the offense, someone who will actually play defense, and someone who won't mind that he's not going to get a lot of shots. He really seems like the opposite of the type of player we need, which is why I responded the way I did.

This is what I like to read.  I just can't stand the people who make the comments here, just to comment.  I agree that he is young and talented and I believe it's what we'd need.  So even if he's not out starting point guard but we use him as the second unit and start White.  I believe Porter has more upside then both Brogdon who we don't know how long he'll be out.  Plus way more upside then Pritchard and also a late round 1st round talent.  Specially since Porter is signed for another 3 or 4 years. 

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2023, 11:19:19 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla

We do not need a volatile, ball-dominant, turnover-prone weak defender. He can keep padding stats on trash teams

Yes, he's ball dominant because he's on a team where he has to be.  But as for turnover prone, he average 1 more turnover a game roughly then Smart.  As for a weak defender, not sure if you watched a lot of his play, but I know in the games I watched he didn't prove to be a weak defender.  As for not trading straight up, I think you're wrong for that.  A young talented player, cheaper and more upside then a Brogdon who can't stay healthy and more expensive. 

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2023, 11:21:13 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
There are probably 10 players on the Rockets I'd want more than Porter.

Not for nothing but I doubt you could name five other players on the Rockets right now (without looking it up), let alone ten you'd want more. 

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2023, 11:41:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yes, he's ball dominant because he's on a team where he has to be.  But as for turnover prone, he average 1 more turnover a game roughly then Smart.  As for a weak defender, not sure if you watched a lot of his play, but I know in the games I watched he didn't prove to be a weak defender.  As for not trading straight up, I think you're wrong for that.  A young talented player, cheaper and more upside then a Brogdon who can't stay healthy and more expensive.
He does not “have” to be - plenty of other, better Rockets.

1 whole turnover more per game than Smart is an enormous difference!! Almost a 33% increase!

His defence isn’t consistent - plays passing lanes well, but with his athleticism he should be a +, not a -
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2023, 07:21:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
C's just traded away their starting PG, so it makes no sense to trade away the next 2 guards to get...a guard who will be backed up by unproven JD Davison. The guard depth would be weak.