Author Topic: Source: Oladipo wants to play for the Heat  (Read 6322 times)

Re: Source: Oladipo wants to play for the Heat
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Must be nice to be a team in a city where players want to go play.
We've signed top free agents three times in 5 years....

Three B-level stars. Still no cases of "the best of the best" wanting to play for Boston.

How many times have A) your so-called "the best of the best" been available & B) the Celtics have had cap space at that time to acquire them?

Durant was available and didn't choose Boston.

So, one guy.  Once.

Small sample size, but not meaningless.

There was also AD making it clear he did NOT want to go to Boston, and that if he were traded to Boston, he would NOT stay with the Celtics beyond the time left on his deal.

And I'm not sure if we ever got a public declaration from Leonard or LeBron about Boston as a potential destination, but they at least made it clear by their actions that they preferred L.A. over Boston.

So, it seems to me that in the minds of the NBA's elite, Boston is an also-ran.

Second- and third-tier stars will come here because the Celtics have a good culture, a respected coach, and hey, Boston has to spend their money on someone, right?

This is one big reason why Tatum needs to become a legit top-5 player, because those players aren't choosing to come here.

So because one guy wants to go to L.A so badly it means Boston doesn't attract stars? I think you're jumping to conclusions. Besides, Durant joined a team that was in the finals that year of course that trumps any team's offer.

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 08:14:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So, one guy.  Once.

It’s pretty meaningless.  We were his second choice, with the first place team he chose being the 72 win Warriors.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 08:43:04 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
The league should just fold all the unpopular teams.  NBA could move forward with a 5 team league.

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 08:54:14 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Three B-level stars. Still no cases of "the best of the best" wanting to play for Boston.

How many times have A) your so-called "the best of the best" been available & B) the Celtics have had cap space at that time to acquire them?

Durant was available and didn't choose Boston.

So, one guy.  Once.

There was also AD making it clear he did NOT want to go to Boston, and that if he were traded to Boston, he would NOT stay with the Celtics beyond the time left on his deal.

And I'm not sure if we ever got a public declaration from Leonard or LeBron about Boston as a potential destination, but they at least made it clear by their actions that they preferred L.A. over Boston.

So, it seems to me that in the minds of the NBA's elite, Boston is an also-ran.

Second- and third-tier stars will come here because the Celtics have a good culture, a respected coach, and hey, Boston has to spend their money on someone, right?

This is one big reason why Tatum needs to become a legit top-5 player, because those players aren't choosing to come here.

So because one guy wants to go to L.A so badly it means Boston doesn't attract stars? I think you're jumping to conclusions. Besides, Durant joined a team that was in the finals that year of course that trumps any team's offer.

Okay, so this is turning out to be more complicated than I thought it would be.

All I'm saying ...

is that, based on public comments, and to the best of my knowledge, great players aren't clamoring to play in Boston.

And when I say "great," that's exactly what I mean: the elite. Hayward, Horford, and Kemba are very good players, but they're not tier-one players; I think that's obvious. Or at least it should be.

I wasn't saying that Oladipo is tier-one. Nor was I saying that Oladipo is better than Horford, Hayward, or Kemba.

It's simply the case that when I read Oladipo's comment, I thought, "Oh, another player who wants to go to Miami; I wish more players expressed a desire to play in Boston above all other locations," as there have been quite a few notable players in recent years who stated a desire to play in Miami or L.A.

That's all I was saying.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 09:04:05 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
The league should just fold all the unpopular teams.  NBA could move forward with a 5 team league.
You say that in jest (I think), but it's around 5 teams that actually have a chance of winning a championship each year. It's amazing how awful the parity is in the NBA. It's the worst in North American sports organizations, which is saying something considering that the MLB has no hard cap. I love basketball, and I love the Celtics, but I'm nearly done with the NBA.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2021, 03:15:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Not sure why B-level stars don’t count in the discussion of Victor oladipo
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2021, 04:14:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Eh.  Hayward was on Jimmy Butler’s level, and he picked Boston over Miami. Kemba was a bigger star than Oladipo currently is.

We were Durant’s second choice when he left OKC.  Horford was heavily recruited by other teams when he signed here.

We’re not LA or NYC, but we still attract top talent.

Meh. I'm waiting for the day when someone at the level of Davis/Durant/Leonard/LeBron wants to sign in Boston.

In other words, not just stars, but superstars.
In 2007, Kevin Garnett was on that level and he had the ability to nix any trade he wanted due to a no trade clause and not only did he choose to come to Boston, but he agreed to an extension at a discount rate. 

How soon we forget.

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2021, 05:33:03 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Eh.  Hayward was on Jimmy Butler’s level, and he picked Boston over Miami. Kemba was a bigger star than Oladipo currently is.

We were Durant’s second choice when he left OKC.  Horford was heavily recruited by other teams when he signed here.

Meh. I'm waiting for the day when someone at the level of Davis/Durant/Leonard/LeBron wants to sign in Boston.

In 2007, Kevin Garnett was on that level and he had the ability to nix any trade he wanted due to a no trade clause and not only did he choose to come to Boston, but he agreed to an extension at a discount rate. 

How soon we forget.

Oh, I haven't forgotten that. Never will. But that was quite a while ago. And didn't he agree to Boston only once he knew they were getting Ray as well? In other words, it wasn't like he just plain wanted to go to Boston above all other places, no matter what; he wanted to go only when it was clear that the Celtics could be a great team.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2021, 06:26:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

How soon we forget.

Oh, I haven't forgotten that. Never will. But that was quite a while ago. And didn't he agree to Boston only once he knew they were getting Ray as well? In other words, it wasn't like he just plain wanted to go to Boston above all other places, no matter what; he wanted to go only when it was clear that the Celtics could be a great team.
You don't get guys that good signing with another team very often, so being one of 28 cities to get one in 14 years is significant.

Miami got LeBron
Cleveland got LeBron
LA got LeBron and Kawhi
San Francisco got KD
New York/Brooklyn got KD
Boston got KG

I am not sure Houston getting an at the end of his prime Howard or before his prime Harden counts

If you count forcing trades to cities, I guess you can count Davis to LA and Harden to NY/Brooklyn.

But Kobe never left LA. Dirk never left Dallas. Giannis is still in Milwaukee. Wade didn't leave Miami until he was a shell of his former self.

So over 14 years just a handful of guys that good became available and Boston was one of 6-7 cities that attracted that quality of guy.

I think you are looking at this from a perspective that just isn't realistic. Unless you are a destination city(especially one with two teams in it) the chances of nabbing a guy like that in free agency is very low and yet Boston got one and came in 2nd getting another while also signing 3 All-Star caliber players. That says a lot about Boston being a place players will go to play in.

I think you are expecting too much

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2021, 07:01:58 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Hi I fell asleep for a year and just woke up. Has Oladipo supplanted Anthony Davis for the trade for a guy that will immediately walk in FA honor around here? What about Kobe? Is he available?

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2021, 07:03:57 PM »

• Satch Sanders

How soon we forget.

You don't get guys that good signing with another team very often, so being one of 28 cities to get one in 14 years is significant.

Miami got LeBron
Cleveland got LeBron
LA got LeBron and Kawhi
San Francisco got KD
New York/Brooklyn got KD
Boston got KG

I am not sure Houston getting an at the end of his prime Howard or before his prime Harden counts

If you count forcing trades to cities, I guess you can count Davis to LA and Harden to NY/Brooklyn.

But Kobe never left LA. Dirk never left Dallas. Giannis is still in Milwaukee. Wade didn't leave Miami until he was a shell of his former self.

So over 14 years just a handful of guys that good became available and Boston was one of 6-7 cities that attracted that quality of guy.

I think you are looking at this from a perspective that just isn't realistic. Unless you are a destination city(especially one with two teams in it) the chances of nabbing a guy like that in free agency is very low and yet Boston got one and came in 2nd getting another while also signing 3 All-Star caliber players. That says a lot about Boston being a place players will go to play in.

Maybe so, but I'm nonetheless hoping for a day when Boston signs a tier-one free agent along the lines of Kawhi/KD/LeBron.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2021, 08:49:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

How soon we forget.

Miami got LeBron
Cleveland got LeBron
LA got LeBron and Kawhi
San Francisco got KD
New York/Brooklyn got KD
Boston got KG

Maybe so, but I'm nonetheless hoping for a day when Boston signs a tier-one free agent along the lines of Kawhi/KD/LeBron.
Or the Celtics could grow one or two of those guys....like one or both of the Jay's.

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2021, 11:47:36 PM »

• Satch Sanders

How soon we forget.

Miami got LeBron
Cleveland got LeBron
LA got LeBron and Kawhi
San Francisco got KD
New York/Brooklyn got KD
Boston got KG

Or the Celtics could grow one or two of those guys....like one or both of the Jay's.

Sure, and that's another hope I have.

— C.S. Lewis