Author Topic: DRAFT NIGHT TRADES, now a possibility? (Hayward)  (Read 1653 times)

DRAFT NIGHT TRADES, now a possibility? (Hayward)
« on: November 10, 2020, 08:30:51 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Hearing whispers on Twitter that player options dates will likely come BEFORE the NBA Draft on November 18th. This would open up a TON of trade scenarios for the Boston Celtics!

Also, per the league’s latest memo: the salary cap will be $109M, while the luxury tax will be $132.6M. Finally, some clarity!

-
-
-
-

Assuming this news is true and Hayward opts IN before the draft, here’s a few possible, but unlikely draft night scenarios:

1) Don’t shoot me for bringing up Drummond...
I’m not a big fan of Andre to Boston. I just want to demonstrate that trading for the 5th pick becomes a little more likely if Hayward were to be involved:

To BOS: Drummond, 5th pick

To CLE: Myles Turner, Jeremy Lamb, 14, 26, future 2nd

To IND: Hayward, #47

————————————————————————————-—————

2) Hayward to DAL still makes a ton of sense. Dallas could shed the salary of either Delon Wright or Dwight Powell to help them pursue Giannis is 2021. In order to make that possible, they should be willing to part with pick 18 &/or 31.

—————————————————————————————————

3) Celtics/Pacers/Pistons:

To BOS: Myles Turner, Doug McDermott

To IND: Hayward, #47
-
-
-
Once free agency opens, the Pistons could then absorb Turner into their cap space. I think the Pistons have a slim chance to retain Christian Wood. He wants to win. Therefore, DET should jump at the chance to receive Myles Turner.

What’s the catch? Boston gets to move up to #7 during the draft, while opening the door for a Christian Wood sign & trade after the draft.
-
-
-
Again, these are just complicated ideas that aren’t very likely to happen. I understand that a sign and trade could hard cap the Cs.

Timing is key though, as is making each separate trade make sense to the league office.
-
-
-
IF HAYWARD OPTS IN BEFORE DRAFT NIGHT, the trade possibilities are endless. 

Re: DRAFT NIGHT TRADES, now a possibility? (Hayward)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 08:37:52 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Very interesting. I feel like the Drummond trade you proposed is very lopsided towards us, but that might be because he'll be an expiring contract and I've quite missed us having a proper center?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 08:43:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Getting pick 5 would be huge if Avdija is available, as I think he could blossom into a Hayward-like player.

However, Andre Drummond is hard to value. Elite rebounder, able to play good defence, can pass well sometimes, doesn't do much else. Plus, Embiid owns him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:48:24 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I like the Dallas trade of Hayward for Hardaway, wright and picks
I guess I could get behind Myles Turner and Dipo sort of a trade

but one I have been looking at, that might be a dark horse is Chicago.

I think they are open to trading WCJ.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:50:04 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Very interesting. I feel like the Drummond trade you proposed is very lopsided towards us, but that might be because he'll be an expiring contract and I've quite missed us having a proper center?

Yeah it’s tough to propose trades that make sense for all involved. I originally had the 30th pick in there as well. From my perspective, Drummond is an expiring worth next to nothing. Hayward should be worth a bit more in a trade. CLE would get getting Turner & Lamb for a guy that likely won’t be around beyond the 2020-2021 season.

IND is tricky. One could argue that Boston is doing them a favor. They’re rumored to want Hayward. Also rumored to want to part with Myles Turner. Lamb’s contract has negative value.

The biggest question becomes: In addition to Hayward, how much more would the Cs have to give up to obtain #5? 14, 26, 30 wouldn’t get the Celtics to 5 by itself. Adding in Gordon feels like too much.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 08:54:11 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday

Don’t threaten me with a good offseason!! I like Wendell a lot. He could play the Horford role for us immediately, while being a more consistent double double threat. I also like Markkanen, but he’ll need to be paid sooner.

Adding another perimeter defender in Otto Porter sounds intriguing as well. But then Boston would be matching Hayward’s salary too close, and I think they’d like to avoid the luxury tax.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 08:55:34 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
Also think that Atlanta might be in play for a deal with us.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 08:57:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I really like Wendell Carter, think Boylen set him back. He's a good rebounder and defender, is athletic and can pass. Developing an outside shot too.

I think both he and Markannen are 5s, so one needs to go to maximise their potential (similar situation to Indiana)

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 09:00:15 AM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
Getting pick 5 would be huge if Avdija is available, as I think he could blossom into a Hayward-like player.

However, Andre Drummond is hard to value. Elite rebounder, able to play good defence, can pass well sometimes, doesn't do much else. Plus, Embiid owns him

With Drummond, id be focused on re-signing him to deal worth half the money he’s getting now (if he’s lucky). OR, focused on trading his salary to bring in another name. Cs could always pivot: i.e Drummond, etc for Aldridge

Not a big fan of the Embiid owns Drummond narrative. It’s all centered around who gets the W. Drummond isn’t going to win against Embiid in Detroit. Joel Embiid gets quiet when the playing field is even. I doubt he’ll do all that barking if Drummond was in Boston. Especially if Boston comes away with the W.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 09:03:14 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Don’t threaten me with a good offseason!! I like Wendell a lot. He could play the Horford role for us immediately, while being a more consistent double double threat. I also like Markkanen, but he’ll need to be paid sooner.

Adding another perimeter defender in Otto Porter sounds intriguing as well. But then Boston would be matching Hayward’s salary too close, and I think they’d like to avoid the luxury tax.

I think that if a deal was made for Porter Jr and WCJ, then Porter would be most likely, moved elsewhere.
Dallas
Philly
Portland
Bucks
Grizzlies
Timberwolves

Can see them all liking Porter Jr.

So Hayward and Edwards to Chicago
Porter Jr, #26 to Minny

WCJ, James Johnson, #17 to Boston

'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 09:06:06 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

True, but Joel Embiid is routinely defeated by the inconvenient fact that an NBA basketball game runs for 48 minutes.  :)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 09:06:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

With Drummond, id be focused on re-signing him to deal worth half the money he’s getting now (if he’s lucky). OR, focused on trading his salary to bring in another name. Cs could always pivot: i.e Drummond, etc for Aldridge

Not a big fan of the Embiid owns Drummond narrative. It’s all centered around who gets the W. Drummond isn’t going to win against Embiid in Detroit. Joel Embiid gets quiet when the playing field is even. I doubt he’ll do all that barking if Drummond was in Boston. Especially if Boston comes away with the W.
If he was willing to re-sign for Smart-level money I'd be game. That's a good deal for the best rebounder in the league. However, I'm not sure he values himself that way.

I don't know whether or not it's a narrative - Embiid's averages go up when he's matched up against Drummond, Drummond's go down. It definitely doesn't help that the W-L column is 6-1 against Drummond.
Would like to see how Drummond goes with elite wing defenders around him and a good defensive coach, like he'd have here.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 09:07:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

True, but Joel Embiid is routinely defeated by the inconvenient fact that an NBA basketball game runs for 48 minutes.  :)
Rofl. He was probably very excited about a potentially super-condensed season!

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 09:18:43 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
Been thinking about the Chicago idea a bit more.

Hayward, Poirier to Chicago
(out) Porter Jr, WCJ.

Porter Jr, Edwards, #26, #47 to Minny
(out) James Johnson, #17,

WCJ, James Johnson, #17, #33 to Boston
(out) Hayward, Poirier, Edwards, #26, #47

Boston upgrades Center, adds a tough guy vet off the bench who is a large expiring, shed salary, move up in draft from 26 to 17.
Draft Hampton at 14
Draft Terry at 17
Draft Woodard/TBey/Tillman/Tillie/Scrubb/Joe/Ramsey lots of options here.

Kemba/Hampton
Smart/Terry
Brown/JJ
Tatum/GrantW
WCJ/Theis/Timelord

Would be basically last seasons playoff team, but now with WCJ, James Johnson, Hampton and Terry on board

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:29:56 AM by Darth_Yoda »
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 09:27:53 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Landing Drummond AND 5? I’d be very happy with that trade.

Look, Hayward isn’t really an attractive contract right now. He’s on a max contract but he likely won’t bring you max-contract play value. On top of that, he’s expiring so he could leave your team for nothing.

Trading him for Drummond makes sense because Drummond is also an expiring, and his contract is above his play level. Landing the 5th pick though would be sweet. I’d be surprised if we could trade Hayward for 5, straight up (assuming salaries worked)

- LilRip