Author Topic: 1 more I guess  (Read 2561 times)

1 more I guess
« on: November 09, 2020, 09:56:49 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Hayward to Dallas
Hardaway Jr and Edwards to Memphis
Delon Wright, 14, 18 and 30 to Detroit
Dieng, #7, #31 and a TPE worth 18.4 million to Boston

Sign Wood with the TPE (15-18 mill starting)
Draft Okongwu at #7
Draft Woodard at 31
Draft Joe/Tillie at 47

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Romeo/Joe
Tatum/Woodard/mle
Wood/TheiGrantW/mle
Dieng/Okongwu/Timelord..

Edited to add Dieng.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:28:40 PM by Darth_Yoda »
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

Re: 1 more I guess
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 12:36:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hayward to Dallas

Draft Okongwu at #7
Draft Woodard at 31
Draft Joe/Tillie at 47

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Romeo/Joe
Tatum/Woodard/mle
Wood/GrantW/mle
Okongwu/Theis/Timelord

Okongwu won't be starting in that lineup, not first year. 

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 01:27:49 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
Hayward to Dallas

Draft Okongwu at #7
Draft Woodard at 31
Draft Joe/Tillie at 47

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Romeo/Joe
Tatum/Woodard/mle
Wood/GrantW/mle
Okongwu/Theis/Timelord

Okongwu won't be starting in that lineup, not first year.

Probably not, but will eventually.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have seen two proposals by you trying to get a TPE big enough to do a sign and trade for Christian Woods.

A sign and trade will not happen while Boston is in the tax area because it puts a hard cap on the team. A hard cap completely stymies Ainge's ability to make further moves if needed and could cause Ainge to need to sell off players just to get under the hard cap.

So, a sign and trade most likely isn't happening unless Hayward opts out and signs elsewhere, getting Boston out of the tax area.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 06:55:40 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
I have seen two proposals by you trying to get a TPE big enough to do a sign and trade for Christian Woods.

A sign and trade will not happen while Boston is in the tax area because it puts a hard cap on the team. A hard cap completely stymies Ainge's ability to make further moves if needed and could cause Ainge to need to sell off players just to get under the hard cap.

So, a sign and trade most likely isn't happening unless Hayward opts out and signs elsewhere, getting Boston out of the tax area.

Unless I am mistaken, the hard cap only comes into effect if after the trade the team is in luxury 

So with a 30plus million tpe and using only 15-20 million the team would not be hard capped.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 07:23:41 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Unless I am mistaken, the hard cap only comes into effect if after the trade the team is in luxury 

So with a 30plus million tpe and using only 15-20 million the team would not be hard capped.

No, receiving a player via S&T will automatically 'hard cap' a team, even if they aren't above the threshold.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q20
In other words, when a team is below the Apron and uses its Bi-Annual exception, receives a player who is signed-and-traded, or uses its Mid-Level exception to sign a player to a contract larger than allowed by the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the team becomes hard-capped at the Apron for the remainder of that season. This eliminates any potential loophole where a team could first use one of these exceptions and subsequently add salary to go above the Apron, since the reverse -- adding salary first and then using the exception -- would be illegal.

If a team is hard-capped, it cannot exceed the Apron under any circumstance. If the team subsequently needs to sign a player (for example, to replace injured players) it must first create room under the Apron by waiving player(s) with non-guaranteed salary, waiving player(s) with guaranteed salary and utilizing the stretch provision, trading downward in salary, etc2. A team that is hard-capped can utilize Summer Contracts (see question number 70) to sign players for training camp, but must waive them in time to clear waivers before the start of the regular season, if necessary to stay below the hard cap. A team subject to the hard cap can also sign players to Rest-of-Season contracts during the season, as long as the salary pro-ration keeps the team below the Apron.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 09:14:12 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

No, receiving a player via S&T will automatically 'hard cap' a team, even if they aren't above the threshold.

In other words, when a team is below the Apron and uses its Bi-Annual exception, receives a player who is signed-and-traded, or uses its Mid-Level exception to sign a player to a contract larger than allowed by the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the team becomes hard-capped at the Apron for the remainder of that season. This eliminates any potential loophole where a team could first use one of these exceptions and subsequently add salary to go above the Apron, since the reverse -- adding salary first and then using the exception -- would be illegal.

If a team is hard-capped, it cannot exceed the Apron under any circumstance. If the team subsequently needs to sign a player (for example, to replace injured players) it must first create room under the Apron by waiving player(s) with non-guaranteed salary, waiving player(s) with guaranteed salary and utilizing the stretch provision, trading downward in salary, etc2. A team that is hard-capped can utilize Summer Contracts (see question number 70) to sign players for training camp, but must waive them in time to clear waivers before the start of the regular season, if necessary to stay below the hard cap. A team subject to the hard cap can also sign players to Rest-of-Season contracts during the season, as long as the salary pro-ration keeps the team below the Apron.

the team would be below the tax line. The hard cap only applies if team is above tax. IIRC the celtics, if dropping Hayward should have between 12-15 million after adding back Dieng and still be below the tax line. SO that should not bring on a hard cap.

'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

the team would be below the tax line. The hard cap only applies if team is above tax. IIRC the celtics, if dropping Hayward should have between 12-15 million after adding back Dieng and still be below the tax line. SO that should not bring on a hard cap.

No.  The act of doing any of the three things listed -- including receiving a player via S&T -- will put the team in hard-cap mode for the remainder of the season even though none of those three things necessarily results in salary level at the apron.

In this case, being 'hard capped' means that all the limitations of being hard capped will apply, regardless of what the actual salary total is.   
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 12:04:49 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

No.  The act of doing any of the three things listed -- including receiving a player via S&T -- will put the team in hard-cap mode for the remainder of the season even though none of those three things necessarily results in salary level at the apron.

In this case, being 'hard capped' means that all the limitations of being hard capped will apply, regardless of what the actual salary total is.

Well, it would have happened when we traded for Kemba then, so if we were hard capped last season, cannot see ownership caring if we are hardcapped this upcoming year as well.

Especially if it means improving the team
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 12:46:20 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Well, it would have happened when we traded for Kemba then, so if we were hard capped last season, cannot see ownership caring if we are hardcapped this upcoming year as well.

Especially if it means improving the team

Yes, we were hard-capped last year.

Yes, I believe Danny & Wyc would be agreeable to being hard-capped again if it truly improves the team.

But your proposal (start of the thread) would create a TPE that would not be usable until _after_ the end of the current season because we would be hard-capped until then.  So Boston would not be able to use it to sign Woods.

The hard-cap lasts to the end of the season.  A TPE lasts a full year.  So there would be a window of time after the end of the season during which it could be used.  But it would not help the team this year.