Poll

Should the Celtics go after Jrue Holiday?

Yes
7 (46.7%)
No
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Shams: The Pels are openly discussing Jrue in trade talks  (Read 3587 times)

Re: Shams: The Pels are openly discussing Jrue in trade talks
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
GSW could offer Wiggins and #2 for Jrue.  Maybe try to work it to get Redick too.

They already have one wing scorer with questionable scoring habits, poor distribution, and terrible defense. I don't think doubling down on that is a way to build a contender around Zion.

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I love Jrue, but NOP would ask for Smart, not Kemba.  Something around Hayward + young guys and picks might be okay, too.

Total wishful thinking:

Hayward + Kanter + Langford + 2020 #1s + 2022 #1

for

Jrue + Redick

I’d also be fine with:

Smart + Kanter + #14 (signed) for Jrue

Or, even crazier, trade #1 above, followed by Smart to GS for #2.

Theis / Wiseman
Tatum
Brown
Jrue / Redick
Kemba

Ah, to dream.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 07:08:18 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
If Pels are willing to take none of our core, I think something like Timelord and picks would be enough. But I doubt Danny is willing to give up him and Romeo just yet.

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 02:43:50 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1324007585868107777?s=20

Quote from: Shams Charania
The New Orleans Pelicans are openly discussing star Jrue Holiday in trade talks and several contending teams are pursuing, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

Do you guys believe the C's are/should be among those contending teams pursuing Jrue?

Personally speaking, I'd love us to strike a deal with the Pels around Kemba. Feel free to add incoming or outgoing pick(s) if you deem it necessary.

Yes to Jrue on the Celtics. There are caveats.

First the pluses:

He has a reputation for being a great teammate.

Twice All-D team, and it’s so valuable that he can guard quicker points. Gets steals on his man, not just by jumping passing lanes.

He’s a true two-way player. On offense he does lots of complementary things, most notably getting assists like a point guard (higher ast% than Kemba last year).

League-average 3-pt shooter. Good finisher, over .600 at the rim.

If he’s replacing Hayward or Kemba, he’s less expensive, at least for next season.

So what’s not to like?

He’s 30. He’s somewhat turnover-prone.

He’s signed through 2022 - meaning, if he’s replacing Hayward it would be more difficult to sign Giannis in 2021.

On the whole I’m strongly positive.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 02:52:51 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
I like the idea of being able to trot out a Smart Holiday backcourt gives us a tremendous defense in a guard-centric league, but I am not particularly excited about it if he replaces Walker rather than Hayward.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 03:19:16 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I like the idea of being able to trot out a Smart Holiday backcourt gives us a tremendous defense in a guard-centric league, but I am not particularly excited about it if he replaces Walker rather than Hayward.

Having Walker, Smart, and Holiday would make for a very interesting rotation. The only way to get them all more than 32 mpg (so, in the playoffs but likely not the regular season) would be to play all 3 together at times (and never play Brown at the 2). I know we've done some lineups before with Smart at the 3, but doing that regularly on a team with two stud wings doesn't seem like a great call. Fun to watch, but 3 starting-caliber PGs makes for an unwieldy rotation.

I don't see what the Pels would possibly want with Kemba's long term money, though. I just don't see any likely path for us to acquire him (unless we traded Smart)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 03:20:51 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Having Walker, Smart, and Holiday would make for a very interesting rotation. The only way to get them all more than 32 mpg (so, in the playoffs but likely not the regular season) would be to play all 3 together at times (and never play Brown at the 2). I know we've done some lineups before with Smart at the 3, but doing that regularly on a team with two stud wings doesn't seem like a great call. Fun to watch, but 3 starting-caliber PGs makes for an unwieldy rotation.

I don't see what the Pels would possibly want with Kemba's long term money, though. I just don't see any likely path for us to acquire him (unless we traded Smart)

I think Knicks would take on Kemba, also there is the opportunity with Spurs and Clippers as well.
So perhaps a three team deal with Jrue coming to cCeltics would be the best option.

Jrue
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Center
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2020, 03:56:18 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Just imagine: Walker, Holiday, Smart, Brown, and Tatum, the shortest rotation in NBA history?

And, of course, probably not particularly effective at winning basketball games. But it would be fun.

Kemba spent however many years in Charlotte... I don't think he deserves to wind up on the Knicks.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Someone (Hollinger? Lowe?) once made the astute observation that True Holliday was simultaneously underrated and overrated.

That point comes across loudly and clearly in this thread.

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 05:11:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Someone (Hollinger? Lowe?) once made the astute observation that True Holliday was simultaneously underrated and overrated.

That point comes across loudly and clearly in this thread.
I think those that rate him highly think he's so underrated that he becomes overrated, but there is a definite element of those that underrate him genuinely. He's been a 20/7/5 guy with top-3 guard defence in the league for 3 seasons running. That's a legit player
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2020, 08:24:35 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
The Nets should be very interested.  KD, Kyrie and Jrue would be a very good big 3. 

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2020, 08:25:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Nets should be very interested.  KD, Kyrie and Jrue would be a very good big 3.
I would hate to play that team
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2020, 09:47:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I love Jrue, but NOP would ask for Smart, not Kemba.  Something around Hayward + young guys and picks might be okay, too.

Total wishful thinking:

Hayward + Kanter + Langford + 2020 #1s + 2022 #1

for

Jrue + Redick

Beat me to it. Be great to move Hayward, Semi, Langford, two 2020 firsts a 2022 first for Jrue and Redick.

Kemba/Smart
Jrue/Redick
Brown/FA 3nD
Tatum/GWill
Theis/Kanter/RW3

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2020, 09:54:24 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

Me too. I like Jrue a ton. Unfortunately, I think the Nets will get someone even better.

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2020, 10:57:50 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Me too. I like Jrue a ton. Unfortunately, I think the Nets will get someone even better.
Who better are they going to get?