Author Topic: Report: Celtics trying to trade up in draft  (Read 4053 times)

Re: Report: Celtics trying to trade up in draft
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2020, 08:31:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
nbadraft.net tweets that Celtics are trying to move up to draft Okongwu.  Hmmm.

Someone can link tweet if you want.

this will make a couple of people on this blog very happy. I think Wiley and Triboy have been bullish on Okongwu.

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2020, 11:04:14 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
nbadraft.net tweets that Celtics are trying to move up to draft Okongwu.  Hmmm.

Someone can link tweet if you want.

this will make a couple of people on this blog very happy. I think Wiley and Triboy have been bullish on Okongwu.

Yes sir.  People have put a cap on him like he can't be any better than Tristian Thompson.  First of all, Prime Thompson was quite good.  Second of all, I don't buy such a neat comparison.  Let's call him a Thompson Bam hybrid with unknown ceiling. 

And then, I think he's a better fit with Stevens required skillset, and C's trajectory (win nowish) than would be Wiseman. 

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 09:25:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
It's the same story we've heard for years.  The problem is that nobody seems to want to trade down.

Yeah, this isn't the NFL Draft.  From a value standpoint, trading down in the NBA is almost certainly going to hurt you based on the return.  Especially out of top or near top spot.

Something about Markelle Fultz and Jayson Tatum.....

Yeah, that why I said "almost certainly" and not "absolutely".  Certainly some exceptions.
The Pelicans traded the 4th pick last year.  Solomon Hill, 4, 57, 2023 2nd for 8, 17, 35, 2020 1st (top 10 protected or 2021 and 2022 2nd's)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 09:59:16 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The Pelicans traded the 4th pick last year.  Solomon Hill, 4, 57, 2023 2nd for 8, 17, 35, 2020 1st (top 10 protected or 2021 and 2022 2nd's)

That is a complicated trade.  If you filter out some of the noise, Solomon Hill and all the second round picks, it comes down to getting 8 and 17 for the 4 pick but with a top 10 protected 2020 first.  Had that 2020 pick actually turned out to be a first round or even lottery pick, it is a haul for the Pelicans but I think it ended up being the two future seconds, exactly what ATL was gambling it would be.

Again, to me, this came down to selling the 4th pick for the 8th and 17th.  Not sure any of these picks really have shown all that much so far so hard to grade this trade at this point.