Author Topic: Report: Celtics trying to trade up in draft  (Read 4013 times)

Report: Celtics trying to trade up in draft
« on: November 04, 2020, 12:37:52 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
The Timberwolves are interested in trading the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NBA draft. The Warriors are interested in trading the No. 2 pick. The Cavaliers (No. 5 pick) and Hawks (No. 6 pick) could trade their picks for veterans.

Kevin O’Connor of The Ringer:

“League sources say both the Celtics and Magic are trying to move up into the mid-lottery using their own first-round picks, and the Wizards are angling to move up from no. 9.”

Boston has multiple first-round picks (Nos. 14, 26 and 30). The Celtics also had two first-rounders (Romeo Langford and Grant Williams) and and a high second-rounder (Carsen Edwards) last year. For a team so good, it’s difficult to give so many youngsters enough minutes to properly develop.

Also an issue: roster slots. Boston definitely has good reason to consolidate three picks into one, higher pick.

Washington (No. 9) and Orlando (No. 15) might just have players they like who will be available only higher in the draft. Though it’s smokescreen season, teams looking to move up must call other teams – teams who might not protect the Wizards’ and Magic’s secrets.

Re: Report: Celtics trying to trade up in draft
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 07:37:22 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
If I'm running a team like Detroit, I need players and since this draft, I feel is deep in players, maybe not all stars, I might take Boston up on this.

Take a mock for Boston, (just pick one):  14-Jalen Smith, 26-Leandro Bolmaro, 30-Tre Jones.  All three would probably improve the Pistons right away. 

This draft may be the time to think, quantity vs quality.  One pick at the top may not be better than three first rounders. 

FYI, Charlotte may be in this same position!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 11:43:35 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's the same story we've heard for years.  The problem is that nobody seems to want to trade down.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 11:57:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's the same story we've heard for years.  The problem is that nobody seems to want to trade down.

Yeah, this isn't the NFL Draft.  From a value standpoint, trading down in the NBA is almost certainly going to hurt you based on the return.  Especially out of top or near top spot. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 12:59:05 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Of all drafts though, I think this one works for this.

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 02:59:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, this isn't the NFL Draft.  From a value standpoint, trading down in the NBA is almost certainly going to hurt you based on the return.  Especially out of top or near top spot.

It certainly can be a smart idea.  One that comes to mind is Denver trading pick #11 in 2015 (Doug McDermott) for #16 (Jusuf Nurkic) and #19 (Gary Harris).

I think most of the time, though, NBA execs would prefer to just follow their instincts about the BPA in the top 10-15 instead of taking multiple swings later in the draft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 03:04:21 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I don't think anything will happen until draft day, unless DA is targeting a few players in a trade-up. He won't make the deal unless his guy is there.

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 03:20:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Something about Markelle Fultz and Jayson Tatum.....

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 03:22:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, that why I said "almost certainly" and not "absolutely".  Certainly some exceptions.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 03:46:02 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I know it’s not going to happen but what if the Celtics had the #1 pick, who would they pick???
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 03:57:03 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I know it’s not going to happen but what if the Celtics had the #1 pick, who would they pick???

Wiseman or Haliburton imo.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 04:02:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yeah, that why I said "almost certainly" and not "absolutely".  Certainly some exceptions.
This draft is the flattest since at least 2013. There’s no star talent at the top. None.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 07:10:17 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Who would we even get?  Is there another Tyler Herro in this year's draft?  I feel like there's nobody who could help right away.  The Celtics desperately need a quality PF who can bang on the boards, shoot the 3, and fit into Brad's offense.  Is there such a player in this year's draft?  We basically need a unicorn.  We failed with the french dancing bear, but that doesn't diminish the need for such a player.  And hopefully he is more in the 6'9 to 6'11 range rather than the undersized 6'6 PFs we've been drafting recently.

Would Obi Toppin be the ideal selection for the Celtics if we could move up high enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxpzVO39yCc
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 07:19:49 PM by vjcsmoke »

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 08:01:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
nbadraft.net tweets that Celtics are trying to move up to draft Okongwu.  Hmmm.

Someone can link tweet if you want. 

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 08:16:25 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Funny if but if the Cs has #1 pick much like the Tatum draft everyone would have it pre determined that the Cs where going to draft Wiseman. I suspect DA would trade 1 for 3 or 4 and draft Hayes.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet