Poll

Would you trade for Giannis?

Yes
13 (65%)
No
7 (35%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Would you trade for Giannis Antetokounmpo?  (Read 4904 times)

Re: Would you trade for Giannis Antetokounmpo?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 10:02:05 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
There is no way the proposed trade is anywhere near good enough value for Giannis.  I don't care if you add 10 unprotected 1st's, not enough value.  It will take Tatum, maybe even Tatum and Brown to acquire Giannis from Milwaukee.
That's absolutely ridiculous. You only have to look at the recent trade packages for MVP candidates like Anthony Davis, Kawhi and Paul George to realise that
To be fair only Davis is on Giannis' level, and didn't the Lakers trade Ingram, Lonzo, Hart and 5-7 1sts for him?
Ingram at that stage was worse than Brown is now, Lonzo is and was worse than Smart, Hart didn't have much value as an inefficient mediocre defending 3&D prospect, and those picks are LA's 2021 1st, LA's 2023 1st and LA's 2024 1st. So only 3 first round picks and worse players than we could offer.

An offer of Brown/Tatum, Smart, Langford, #14 and one future 1st blows that offer out of the water.

This can't be understated. While the deal looks much more reasonable now - at the time of the trade - there were still questions about whether or not Ingram would be able to continue his NBA career (blood clot issue). It reminds me of when people thought the LAL-MEM Gasol for Gasol deal was even because of how Marc turned out, even though he had just been selected at #48 in the draft. Not exactly the kind-of return you expect for an all-star like Pau.
Most importantly AD wanted to be a Laker.  Barring a disaster, the Lakers could feel confident that AD would re-sign with them.  That's a lot different than the Kawhi trade where it was known that Kawhi wanted to play in LA and would most likely be a 1 year rental. 

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 10:31:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
There is no way the proposed trade is anywhere near good enough value for Giannis.  I don't care if you add 10 unprotected 1st's, not enough value.  It will take Tatum, maybe even Tatum and Brown to acquire Giannis from Milwaukee.
That's absolutely ridiculous. You only have to look at the recent trade packages for MVP candidates like Anthony Davis, Kawhi and Paul George to realise that
To be fair only Davis is on Giannis' level, and didn't the Lakers trade Ingram, Lonzo, Hart and 5-7 1sts for him?
Ingram at that stage was worse than Brown is now, Lonzo is and was worse than Smart, Hart didn't have much value as an inefficient mediocre defending 3&D prospect, and those picks are LA's 2021 1st, LA's 2023 1st and LA's 2024 1st. So only 3 first round picks and worse players than we could offer.

An offer of Brown/Tatum, Smart, Langford, #14 and one future 1st blows that offer out of the water.
Oh it was only 3 1sts? Yeah that offer looks like crap now lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 10:39:12 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

It was 4, Ingram, Ball, Hart, 2021, 2023 (swap rights), 2024 or 2025.  You are forgetting about the 4th pick in the draft.  Ball has more value than Smart, especially to a rebuilding team.

And Giannis is better than Davis.  After all he is the 2 time reigning league MVP and the defending DPOY.  Last time I checked Davis hasn't won any of those awards.  Giannis has also missed far fewer games and had far more team success than Davis had in NO (further suggesting Giannis is more valuable a player as a centerpiece).

Boston isn't acquiring Giannis without Tatum because Brown and a bunch of late first and role players isn't enough value and will be beaten by other offers from teams that have much better draft capital or more high level prospects.  If Giannis becomes available, it will take Tatum and other pieces for Boston to acquire him. 

EDIT: And let's think about potential trade packages for Giannis.  I mean there is the 2nd pick in the draft on a team that has some other solid assets and that would still be very good after acquiring Giannis (Thompson and 2 for Giannis makes sense on some level for both teams).  What about Jamal Murray and Michael Porter for Giannis?  Or 4, Carter, Markkanen, LaVine, and a bunch of a future 1st's (and then have max cap room to bring in whoever Giannis wants).  Philly could give up Simmons (and players like Thybulle, Smith, and future picks), that would be an interesting trade for both teams.  A trade centered around Siakam or Bam could also work.  If Giannis truly becomes available, there will be bidding wars.  Boston isn't acquiring him without Tatum.
There's only going to be a bidding war if teams feel they have a good shot at re-signing Giannis.  There wasn't a bidding war for AD because everyone expected him to be a 1 year rental who would sign with the Lakers. 

You're pulling teams out of your hat without thinking.  Miami doesn't have any 1sts to trade so they aren't a viable option.  Chicago is a bad team without a star so there would be no chance of re-signing Giannis.  Toronto is an old team and doesn't have much assets beyond Siakim and no star to pair with Giannis after the trade. 

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 10:58:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

It was 4, Ingram, Ball, Hart, 2021, 2023 (swap rights), 2024 or 2025.  You are forgetting about the 4th pick in the draft.  Ball has more value than Smart, especially to a rebuilding team.

And Giannis is better than Davis.  After all he is the 2 time reigning league MVP and the defending DPOY.  Last time I checked Davis hasn't won any of those awards.  Giannis has also missed far fewer games and had far more team success than Davis had in NO (further suggesting Giannis is more valuable a player as a centerpiece).

Boston isn't acquiring Giannis without Tatum because Brown and a bunch of late first and role players isn't enough value and will be beaten by other offers from teams that have much better draft capital or more high level prospects.  If Giannis becomes available, it will take Tatum and other pieces for Boston to acquire him. 

EDIT: And let's think about potential trade packages for Giannis.  I mean there is the 2nd pick in the draft on a team that has some other solid assets and that would still be very good after acquiring Giannis (Thompson and 2 for Giannis makes sense on some level for both teams).  What about Jamal Murray and Michael Porter for Giannis?  Or 4, Carter, Markkanen, LaVine, and a bunch of a future 1st's (and then have max cap room to bring in whoever Giannis wants).  Philly could give up Simmons (and players like Thybulle, Smith, and future picks), that would be an interesting trade for both teams.  A trade centered around Siakam or Bam could also work.  If Giannis truly becomes available, there will be bidding wars.  Boston isn't acquiring him without Tatum.
There's only going to be a bidding war if teams feel they have a good shot at re-signing Giannis.  There wasn't a bidding war for AD because everyone expected him to be a 1 year rental who would sign with the Lakers. 

You're pulling teams out of your hat without thinking.  Miami doesn't have any 1sts to trade so they aren't a viable option.  Chicago is a bad team without a star so there would be no chance of re-signing Giannis.  Toronto is an old team and doesn't have much assets beyond Siakim and no star to pair with Giannis after the trade.
Bam, Herro, and Nunn is a pretty solid package and that still leaves Miami with Butler and Dragic (and I don't think Brown, Smart, and some late 1st's can beat that offer).  It isn't always about 1st round picks.  I don't think Boston would need to trade any 1st's if it included Tatum for example.

Chicago would have a ton of cap room though.  They can bring in whoever Giannis wants, which might actually have some appeal for him.  As for Toronto, they have some older players like Gasol, Lowry, and Ibaka, but Chris Boucher at 27 is the next oldest player on that team and OG is only 22 and VanVleet and Powell are around Giannis' age.  That said, Giannis wants to win now and they have the pieces in place to do that after all they won 53 games this past season and Giannis is an obvious upgrade over Siakam.  They also have plenty of salary to take on Bledsoe and others providing Milwaukee a lot of future cap relief. 

As for the Lakers trade of AD, you are correct, there wasn't really a bidding war and it still cost them the 4th pick in the draft, two high (or relatively high) level prospects in Ingram and Ball, a young role player in Hart, and 3 future 1st round picks.  Without a bidding war.  Boston isn't acquiring Giannis without Tatum.  That is what it will take because Boston doesn't have the draft capital required to avoid giving up Tatum.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 10:59:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

It wasn't.  Gouki forgot about the 4th pick in the draft, which was the best asset in the trade. 

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 12:30:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This is  where having Kyrie for the Nets pick and then having him walk for nothing realy hurts the Celtcis.

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 01:11:32 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’d trade one of Brown or Tatum, I think.

Losing either would suck, but putting Giannis with Kemba, Hayward, and Tatum or Brown would make quite a team.

If we kept Smart, I’d definitely do it.

Kemba
Brown
Hayward
Giannis
Theis

Smart off the bench. Add a couple shooters and keep Wanamaker and Kanter.

Tatum, Langford, one of Grant/Robert Williams and multiple firsts for Giannis. Who says no? We may not even need all the extra assets outside of Tatum.

(Assuming Giannis agrees to trade and open to an extension in Boston)

CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 03:00:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Brown + Smart + Langford or either Williams + three #1s

Who beats that?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Brown + Smart + Langford or either Williams + three #1s

Who beats that?
Is Bam, Herro, and Nunn a better offer?  I can certainly see Milwaukee might prefer that sort of offer.  What about Draymond Green and #2 (plus some future 1st's)? I think they'd move Dray for some other young players, but 2 has to be very appealing for a team and who knows maybe they could even get Klay instead of Dray?  What about Simmons, Thybulle, and Smith (and maybe a future 1st or two)?  A package centered around Siakam and 3 future 1st's?  What about Murry and Porter (and a 1st or two) for Giannis (Murray seems fairly equivalent to Brown if not slightly more thought of and Porter looks like he could be a monster)?  What about McCollum, Nurkic, Hood, and Collins for Giannis, Bledsoe, and Hill (lots of variations here)?  Or even a team like the Suns for Ayton, Oubre, Bridges, and Jerome (plus some future 1st's) could have a lot of appeal to the Bucks.  Now I have no idea if the Suns would go all in like that, but pairing Giannis with Booker would have to be intriguing for both the Suns and Giannis and the Suns did win every game in the bubble (without Oubre) so this kind of move could vault them up near the top of the west.

Lots of potential trades that offer Milwaukee a lot of different ways to go.  This notion that a trade centered around Brown can't be beaten seems strange to me.  Brown is a great young player, but there are plenty of great young players in the league.  I don't think Smart has much value to Milwaukee in the scenario where they trade Giannis and I don't think Langford, either Williams, or 3 future 1st's (that will likely be late) have a whole lot of value.  So it really does come down to Brown and plenty of teams can beat offers centered around Brown. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:26:18 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2020, 11:33:56 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

It wasn't.  Gouki forgot about the 4th pick in the draft, which was the best asset in the trade.
Ah yeah I remember it being quite a haul. Sounds like a reasonable package for a superstar just entering his prime.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 10:34:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Ah yeah I remember it being quite a haul. Sounds like a reasonable package for a superstar just entering his prime.
It is easy to forget about the 4th pick because NO never even used the pick immediately trading it along with Solomon Hill, 57, and a future 2nd for 8, 17, 35, and a future 1st. 

So essentially they turned Anthony Davis, Solomon Hill, 57, and a future 2nd into 8, 17, 35, 3 future 1st's, the ability to swap a future 1st, 2.2 million cash, Ingram, Ball, and Hart. 

That is a pretty darn good haul for a player that isn't as good as Giannis and for which there wasn't even the inkling of real interest from any other team.  That is why I absolutely believe it will take Tatum and quite frankly may require Tatum and Brown because the reality is Boston doesn't have any real draft capital and doesn't have any really good young players aside from those 2.  Getting Giannis is going to cost a lot.  And here's the thing even if it does cost both Tatum and Brown, I'd probably still do it if I felt like Giannis would re-sign because Giannis is the best player in the world and you should always acquire the best player in the world if you can.  Giannis with Walker, Smart, Hayward, and Theis is a top 3 starting 5 in the league, if not the best, because Giannis is just that good.  Add in some vets to the bench along with the younger guys like Langford, Williams, Williams, and some of the 1st's this year (with Tatum and Brown I'm not even sure you need to give up a 1st, but certainly wouldn't need all 3) and that is a team that would be favored to win the East next year and would certainly rival the Lakers, Clippers, and Warriors.  Giannis is that good. 

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2020, 10:55:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

It is easy to forget about the 4th pick because NO never even used the pick immediately trading it along with Solomon Hill, 57, and a future 2nd for 8, 17, 35, and a future 1st. 

So essentially they turned Anthony Davis, Solomon Hill, 57, and a future 2nd into 8, 17, 35, 3 future 1st's, the ability to swap a future 1st, 2.2 million cash, Ingram, Ball, and Hart. 

That is a pretty darn good haul for a player that isn't as good as Giannis and for which there wasn't even the inkling of real interest from any other team.  That is why I absolutely believe it will take Tatum and quite frankly may require Tatum and Brown because the reality is Boston doesn't have any real draft capital and doesn't have any really good young players aside from those 2.  Getting Giannis is going to cost a lot.  And here's the thing even if it does cost both Tatum and Brown, I'd probably still do it if I felt like Giannis would re-sign because Giannis is the best player in the world and you should always acquire the best player in the world if you can.  Giannis with Walker, Smart, Hayward, and Theis is a top 3 starting 5 in the league, if not the best, because Giannis is just that good.  Add in some vets to the bench along with the younger guys like Langford, Williams, Williams, and some of the 1st's this year (with Tatum and Brown I'm not even sure you need to give up a 1st, but certainly wouldn't need all 3) and that is a team that would be favored to win the East next year and would certainly rival the Lakers, Clippers, and Warriors.  Giannis is that good.
Disagree with the bolded, Davis is absolutely on Giannis' level. He couldn't quarterback an offence like Giannis does, but the gap isn't as large as it seems with Giannnis' postseason drop against stingier defences that can gameplan against him as well as his inability to scale down his offence as well as Davis when playing alongside better and better teammates. Add in Davis' defensive edge (his versatility makes him a playoff cheat code on that end of the floor) and both players really aren't that far apart, it's pretty much a coin toss.

Do agree that we'll probably have to trade Tatum if we want to get Giannis though, I don't see Brown getting all of those picks AND those prospects in a trade.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 12:59:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Disagree with the bolded, Davis is absolutely on Giannis' level. He couldn't quarterback an offence like Giannis does, but the gap isn't as large as it seems with Giannnis' postseason drop against stingier defences that can gameplan against him as well as his inability to scale down his offence as well as Davis when playing alongside better and better teammates. Add in Davis' defensive edge (his versatility makes him a playoff cheat code on that end of the floor) and both players really aren't that far apart, it's pretty much a coin toss.

Do agree that we'll probably have to trade Tatum if we want to get Giannis though, I don't see Brown getting all of those picks AND those prospects in a trade.
Giannis is the 2-time defending NBA MVP and the defending DPOY.  Davis hasn't come close to that level.  Davis was a great player top 5ish type talent, but he was no where near the discussion for best player in the world.  Giannis is the best player in the world.  He has led teams to 60 wins, Davis had just two seasons of more than 35 wins at 44 and 48. 

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2020, 09:42:28 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Marcus is my favorite player in the NBA but, yeah, I would do the trade suggested. As everyone else has said, there's no way to Bucks would.

When we get into more realistic trade scenarios, I don't know. Giannis might be the best player in the league and it would be awesome to have him here but I do think there is something to bringing up your own guys and letting them grow. It would mean more to me to win a championship with Tatum, Brown, and Smart than to win one with Giannis. I think that factors in.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2020, 07:09:46 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
According to Ashley Nicole of iHeart Radio, Giannis Antetokounmpo is prepared to sign a long-term deal with the Miami Heat. Additionally, the Milwaukee Bucks are ‘not willing’ to let the two-time MVP walk in free agency.

Never heard of her.... Is she credible !?!?!??!