Author Topic: Celtics (12-9) at Magic (10-12) Game #22 12/7/16  (Read 34858 times)

Re: Celtics (12-9) at Magic (10-12) Game #22 12/7/16
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2016, 09:17:54 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Patrick Ewing theory anyone?

Too soon?

Don't over react to one game against the Magic...

Soon we'll see "Celtics 1-0 without Thomas. Isn't it clear we're better without him?" posts, ala Rondo when he was still here
Seriously it's sickening to see this **** on here. Smart's had one good game and we are so quick to annoint him starting point guard. One bad game by IT and we are ready to bench him already. That's how bad the Smart bias is around here

can you look at the big picture

team comes 1st

and team play at both ends has not looked this good in a long time
I am. Our team is 12-8 and 3rd in the East with IT starting. If you think that Smart can put up this performance with any consistency over an 82 game season than your on something. IT consistently puts our team on his back in the 4th to help win us games and has done that consistently ever since he came here starting or not. There's a reason that our record has dramatically improved every year that IT has improved as a player. This year he's having another career year and for some reason we are on pace for 50 wins.

Our defense has looked worse than last season... and one key reason is bc of IT

teams are focusing on attacking him through PNRs etc...  he can't defense guys taller than 6'2

Watch how teams have been playing us this year....ALOT of PNR, PNP.... 

You can't get away with doing this with Smart at the point

Defense wins championships....not offense.     IT scoring 25 but giving up 20-25 points via PNR doesn't make it easy for the team to win... its been a nail biting type of season so far...and alot of it vs mediocre teams...if only our D was better we could be 15-5 instead

Our defense is worse than last year (when IT started) because of IT starting? It's clearly the lack of rebounding, which in addition to its main issues is also causing some guys (like Bradley) to pay more attention to rebounding than their own man. You can add in Amir's decline as well

Our defense is worse this year for a bunch of reasons, not because IT starts (which is a common factor to last year)

well one reason why we stink in rebonding is because IT rebounds like 1 or 2 a game

Smart on the other hand...

Tonights game should prove how much tighter our defense is with Smart starting...  we can see if it's a fluke or not the next game....  but i doubt it...IT has probably already called CBS to declare he is ready to play the next game

2.6=/="1 or 2 a game"

A difference of 1.5 rebounds per game from our starting point guard would not solve the rebounding problem, or even have an appreciable effect on it

Our defense has looked good today, but it looked awful early on against a bad team, and has only looked better in the second half. You can't really draw any conclusions (good or bad) from one game against a team like the Magic
I'm bitter.

« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2016, 09:18:05 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Happy for the blow out W.
Anyone know why Vucevic has been coming off the bench lately?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2016, 09:18:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Remember when Avery Bradley absolutely could not be counted on to make a 3 dribble drive or pass the ball...to really anyone? Still not strong at that stuff but he's kept working on it.
He's on a steal of a contract too.

It will be interesting to see who the C's keep out of IT/Smart/Bradley after 2018 2017. (all? none? 1 or 2?)
There, fixed it for ya'

« Reply #288 on: December 07, 2016, 09:18:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I LOVE Isaiah Thomas, but you think he would be outraged if CBS asks him to come off the bench in games? IT is a little-warrior that plays with passion and I love that about him... but I think his 20+ PPG scoring would come vital off the bench.

Smart is doing well in many aspects of the game including defense and rebounding.

This isn't to bring IT down at all.. just a possible strategy to look to going forward.

Even if he comes off the bench, it doesn't mean he can't end games anyways... (he can)

Exactly

« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2016, 09:19:14 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
why is Al still in the game?

« Reply #290 on: December 07, 2016, 09:19:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Remember when Avery Bradley absolutely could not be counted on to make a 3 dribble drive or pass the ball...to really anyone? Still not strong at that stuff but he's kept working on it.
He's on a steal of a contract too.

It will be interesting to see who the C's keep out of IT/Smart/Bradley after 2018 2017. (all? none? 1 or 2?)
There, fixed it for ya'

My bad, I meant to say "in" 2018..
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #291 on: December 07, 2016, 09:19:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
If someone spills a drink will they turn Elfriiid over and use him as a mop if they are all out?

Marcus would love to do that , hold him by his scrony little ankles

« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I LOVE Isaiah Thomas, but you think he would be outraged if CBS asks him to come off the bench in games? IT is a little-warrior that plays with passion and I love that about him... but I think his 20+ PPG scoring would come vital off the bench.

Smart is doing well in many aspects of the game including defense and rebounding.

This isn't to bring IT down at all.. just a possible strategy to look to going forward.

Even if he comes off the bench, it doesn't mean he can't end games anyways... (he can)

Exactly
If Smart's doing so well defensively and rebounding wise why can't he just do that off the bench then? Just as IT's 20 PPG would be vital so would Smart's D right? Then we would be terrible on defense on the 2nd Unit right?

« Reply #293 on: December 07, 2016, 09:21:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Next Three Games: Toronto, @OKC, @SAS..

If they can miraculously go 2-1 in that stretch I would be ECSTATIC. I'm expecting 1-2 though.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #294 on: December 07, 2016, 09:21:33 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Order has been restored in Celtics land and Jaylen Brown is obviously our best player. That is going to be an interesting development to see how big a player he becomes in his rookie year. He looks NBA ready, just new at it. He must have dominated college. Negative Celtics fans must be pulling their hair out hating this game.

I love Jaylen but he still has loads of work to do!

I agree. My wording was off. Horford is our best player. I mean talent wise. Isaiah is up there for talent but he's too short to be great on defense, only serviceable to above average. I sincerely think Jaylen Brown could definitely become a top 5 NBA player. I love Smart, but no way until he gets good at shooting. He's too stocky to be a pure pg. If Jaylen wasn't on the Celtics say on Philly or Brooklyn, I think he'd be the talk of the league.

I don't recall any team we ever had that had this much long-term potential with a limitless ceiling.

Danny will prune. He will make tough calls. It'll happen quick or in a couple years. Getting Horford was huge. All our young guys are forced to learn how to win. On a lot of other teams, new players are just running around ultimately working on their individual games.

If Crowder becomes consistently good and Jaylen can produce a solid fifteen minutes, Horford protects the rim, etc., add that to our win projection.

The key is these guys have to be professional and not think of future contracts and insecurity. That's the only thing that could tank us. But Bass, Humphries and Wallace played it cool.

I guess it is not bad having Green and Zeller because even though they are scrubs, they are older guys who can help younger ones relax and grow up. Picture yourself twenty years old and amazing at basketball. Horford is already 30 with a wife and kids chilling out on the back nine of the NBA. It's all very interesting.

« Reply #295 on: December 07, 2016, 09:21:37 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If someone spills a drink will they turn Elfriiid over and use him as a mop if they are all out?

Marcus would love to do that , hold him by his scrony little ankles

Gotta be Zeller or Mickey, we only keep them around for mop up duty
I'm bitter.

« Reply #296 on: December 07, 2016, 09:22:00 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601
What is Horford and Crowder doing on garbage time?

« Reply #297 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
What is Horford and Crowder doing on garbage time?

just jogging around for conditioning

« Reply #298 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:13 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

He reminds me of one of these dogs.

« Reply #299 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Vogel looks like he is going to puke lol