Author Topic: Rumor: OKC likely to explore trade possibilities for Westbrook  (Read 12558 times)

Re: Rumor: OKC likely to explore trade possibilities for Westbrook
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2019, 05:27:31 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
There aren’t many but teams I see as Westbrook fits:

Obviously Miami

Detroit

Minny. I think Minny would be reluctant after what they went through with Butler and Westbrook’s influence on Towns could be bad. But if OKC wants to rebuild around a young Wiggins, they could make something there.

My very wild dark horse (and people will think I’m crazy)...The Pelicans: Move Lonzo Ball, Etwan Moore, Diallo and three future first of those Laker picks and mix their own.

Westbrook/Holiday/Ingram/Zion/Favors with Hayes, Alexander-Walker, Redick, Darius Miller etc and the rest of those picks could be interesting. I don’t think NOP goes for it, but stranger things have happened.

Miami doesn't seem to have anything to offer.

Detroit and Minnesota, possibly.

NO is interesting if they want to make a bold move rather than a gradual build.

No team will want to build around Wiggins and his horrible contract. In fact, if Wiggins were offered to any teams sufficiently under the cap for nothing, there probably would be no takers.

If only they had an unprotected first to offer OKC  ;D :'( ;D :'(
Miami actually does have picks they can offer.  OKC has Miami's 2023 1st protected 1-14, they could remove the protection and then they could also offer their 2025 1st + pick swaps in 2022, 2024 and 2026 if they wanted.  They won't need many assets to acquire Westbrook as that contract is an albatross. 

In addition I really like Tyler Herro (whom it was suggested that the C's wanted at 14), Adebayo is one of the best young big man prospects around and Winslow/DJJ are beginning to show some promise. 

Miami has plenty to offer with all their varying middling contracts, Dragic expiring, young players and a pick or 2 if they wanted.  The question is should they because taking on Westbook's massive contract is crazy risky for them or anyone else.

« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2019, 07:39:31 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
SGA and westbrook cannot play together

Same position but both are starting caliber on different timelines

Westbrook has to be moved ideally before season begins

I like them together. A two PG backcourt. More control for OKC. More shared responsibility. Onus not all on Westbrook. SGA plays well both on and off the ball. He will work well as the off guard and part time PG.

Gallinari is great alongside those two as well. A lethal off ball who can score from anywhere. Some more ball-handling and passing.

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2019, 07:59:53 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
SGA and westbrook cannot play together

Same position but both are starting caliber on different timelines

Westbrook has to be moved ideally before season begins

I like them together. A two PG backcourt. More control for OKC. More shared responsibility. Onus not all on Westbrook. SGA plays well both on and off the ball. He will work well as the off guard and part time PG.

Gallinari is great alongside those two as well. A lethal off ball who can score from anywhere. Some more ball-handling and passing.

The one thing no one has discussed is that they could flip the assets for another star, Westbrook is very close to Presti and the only team that would be interested in trading for Westbrook is Miami and given OKC own their picks it wouldn't be in their interest to send him there. I think with all those picks they could flip them for Beal, Ibaka or even Siakam (Apparently Toronto have wanted SGA since draft)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 08:19:43 AM by shut_the_gate »

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2019, 08:31:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Given that PG and Westbrook were a first round exit team, I don't think they'll try and bring in yet another similar level player to retool

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2019, 08:50:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Miami and OKC have so many mid sized salaries that they could pretty easily find a trade that fits into Miami's hard cap.  The real problem is OKC wouldn't want all of those players back so they would have to find a 3rd and maybe 4th team that would participate. 

I think this one would work (not sure if the Cavs would do it as it would make them a clear luxury tax team).

MIA - Westbrook, Dellavedova
OKC - Dragic, Waiters, Adebayo, Smith, Thompson or Henson
CLE - Adams, Olynyk
Why would OKC do that?  They're losing Westbrook and Adams for nothing but cap space.  There are other ways they can get out of the luxury tax.

Also why would Cleveland want Adams?
I think Adams and Olynyk would be a nice combo down low for the Cavs.  They have a lot of quality young guard and wing depth, but they really don't have any big men aside from Nance (and Love).  Adams and the Clinic are both young enough and experienced enough to fit in quite well Sexton, Garland, Osman, Windler, Zizic, and Porter (and Nance and Clarkson).  They also aren't good enough to push Cleveland out of the bottom 10 where that 1st is protected (assuming they trade Love).  So the Cavs would still have another top 10 pick next summer to add to that group.  I just think it would make some sense for them getting that defensive and stabilizing force down low.  And if by some chance they actually keep Love, then they might not be in the bottom 10 this year, and both Adams and Olynyk would be useful players on a team that might actually back door into the playoffs (and no I don't think it is likely even if Love plays 70+ games for them, but the last team or two making the playoffs in the East probably isn't going to be very good).

John Beilein pretty much invented 5-out with bigs shooting three pointers.  Now that the NBA has finally caught up to him such that he’s got his first gig in the Association in his 60s, you’re going to give him Steven Adams?  Olynyk, fine, but no way on Adams.
The Cavs have Thompson and Nance who don't shoot, but will basically be the center rotation for the team.  Swapping Adams for Thompson makes a great deal of sense on the floor in that regard. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2019, 08:59:46 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Miami and OKC have so many mid sized salaries that they could pretty easily find a trade that fits into Miami's hard cap.  The real problem is OKC wouldn't want all of those players back so they would have to find a 3rd and maybe 4th team that would participate. 

I think this one would work (not sure if the Cavs would do it as it would make them a clear luxury tax team).

CLE - Adams, Olynyk
Why would OKC do that?  They're losing Westbrook and Adams for nothing but cap space.  There are other ways they can get out of the luxury tax.

I think Adams and Olynyk would be a nice combo down low for the Cavs.  They have a lot of quality young guard and wing depth, but they really don't have any big men aside from Nance (and Love).  Adams and the Clinic are both young enough and experienced enough to fit in quite well Sexton, Garland, Osman, Windler, Zizic, and Porter (and Nance and Clarkson).  They also aren't good enough to push Cleveland out of the bottom 10 where that 1st is protected (assuming they trade Love).  So the Cavs would still have another top 10 pick next summer to add to that group.  I just think it would make some sense for them getting that defensive and stabilizing force down low.  And if by some chance they actually keep Love, then they might not be in the bottom 10 this year, and both Adams and Olynyk would be useful players on a team that might actually back door into the playoffs (and no I don't think it is likely even if Love plays 70+ games for them, but the last team or two making the playoffs in the East probably isn't going to be very good).

John Beilein pretty much invented 5-out with bigs shooting three pointers.  Now that the NBA has finally caught up to him such that he’s got his first gig in the Association in his 60s, you’re going to give him Steven Adams?  Olynyk, fine, but no way on Adams.
The Cavs have Thompson and Nance who don't shoot, but will basically be the center rotation for the team.  Swapping Adams for Thompson makes a great deal of sense on the floor in that regard.

Except that Thompson’s deal is both expiring and cheaper, so is easier to move/will likely be bought out after the deadline.  Cleveland doesn’t want Adams, and Adams doesn’t want Cleveland. Kevin Love, stretch 5, will make a return this year, mark my words.

« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2019, 09:01:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

CLE - Adams, Olynyk

Except that Thompson’s deal is both expiring and cheaper, so is easier to move/will likely be bought out after the deadline.  Cleveland doesn’t want Adams, and Adams doesn’t want Cleveland. Kevin Love, stretch 5, will make a return this year, mark my words.
Yeah, this is how I see Cleveland going too. Love at the 5 has Beilein written all over it.

I also feel that if Love can stay healthy he'll put up some monster numbers, which will be fun.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2019, 09:21:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

CLE - Adams, Olynyk

I'm sure if Love is on the team the 40 games he is healthy he will play some center, but the Cavs aren't just not going to play Thompson and Nance as they are clearly 2 of their better players and they don't have any one that can reasonably play a small ball 4 (next to a small ball Love at the 5).  They need someone that can defend the paint and grab rebounds.  Adams fits that bill quite well.  I get they get an extra year of Adams (though they are so far under the cap next year it doesn't matter), but overall they add aroun 5 million in salary this year in that trade (dropping Thompson, Delly, and the Smith buy-out and add Adams/Olynyk ).  That puts Cleveland slightly over the tax line, but they can easily drop below it with an additional move or two during the year (you know like trading Love).

So the Cavs add an actual big man in Adams and a great stretch 5 in Olynyk.  When they move on from Love, they are still fine down low and add some quality players for 3 guys that aren't in the long term plans. 

« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2019, 10:41:35 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Well they just dumped Jerami Grant for a first round pick to Denver.

They will save $39 million dollars in combined payroll/tax by making this move.

« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2019, 01:52:30 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Quote from: Shams
Based on conversations among player, agent and team, Oklahoma City for the first time is receptive toward trade calls on franchise star Russell Westbrook, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

This is based upon relationships on all sides — Russell Westbrook, agent Thad Foucher and GM Sam Presti — and collaborating together and examining alternative solutions. Trade timing is challenging this late in the summer due to salaries frozen across NBA from free-agent deals.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1148288126499975168?s=21

Quote from: Woj
Story filed to ESPN: In aftermath of Paul George’s departure, OKC star Russell Westbrook is welcoming to idea of Sam Presti engineering a trade that would bring an end to his illustrious 11-year Thunder tenure. Miami's expressed interest, a destination that appeals to Westbrook.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1148339906285985792
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 05:21:23 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2019, 01:56:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Well they just dumped Jerami Grant for a first round pick to Denver.

They will save $39 million dollars in combined payroll/tax by making this move.
And they got much closer to the tax line making it a lot easier for them to get under it.

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2019, 05:32:37 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Quote from: ESPN
Sources: Westbrook eyes OKC exit, likes Miami

In the aftermath of co-star Paul George's departure, Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook welcomes the idea of general manager Sam Presti engineering a trade that would bring an end to his illustrious 11-year career with the franchise, league sources tell ESPN.

The Miami Heat have expressed interest, a potential destination that also appeals to Westbrook, league sources said.

Westbrook and his agent Thad Foucher have been discussing trade possibilities and scenarios with Presti and the sides are both motivated to find a resolution sooner rather than later, league sources tell ESPN.

Westbrook wants to play for a team pursuing contention, which is no longer the case once George forced a trade to the Clippers to partner with Kawhi Leonard.

Westbrook's affinity for Oklahoma City, the region and fanbase has never wavered, but the Thunder's falling out of contention -- sped up with the George trade -- makes the idea of playing elsewhere in his 30s feel as though it could be the proper competitive decision, sources said.

The Thunder have been eliminated in the opening round of the Western Conference playoffs in three straight years.

Westbrook, 30, has four years and $170 million left on his contract. The Thunder have accumulated six future first-round picks in the past three days in trades with the Clippers (George) and Denver Nuggets (Jerami Grant), including two first-round picks (2021, unprotected) and 2023 (protected) via the Miami Heat.

Miami acquired All-Star guard Jimmy Butler in a four-way sign-and-trade at the start of free agency. President Pat Riley and coach Erik Spoelstra continue to be aggressive in pursuing star-level veteran talent without the benefit of salary cap space or many coveted future assets to peddle in deals.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27149359/westbrook-eyes-okc-exit-likes-miami

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2019, 01:38:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
There has been a lot of fan talk on the radio in the Cleveland area about whether the Cavs should go after Westbrook to pair with Love and actually go for the playoffs this year.  Various trade packages were proposed, all basically had Smith, and none had either Sexton or Garland (so non-premium players).  The Cavs have so many big expiring contracts, they could provide a ton of salary relief.  So let's say the trade was Smith (who is cut), Clarkson, and Delly for Westbrook.  Thunder shed a ton of salary and get a look at Clarkson (this is obviously only looked at by the Thunder if they can't find any real value for RW and I'm not sure that will be the case).

Cavs would then enter next year heavy on the PG's, but with what should be a back end of the playoffs team with reasonable health

Guards - Westbrook, Sexton, Garland, Knight
Wings - Osman, Nwaba, Windler, Porter, Stauskas
Bigs - Love, Thompson, Nance, Chriss, Henson

Be an interesting trade for both squads as the Thunder hit re-set and the Cavs move towards credibility (and again that is only if the Thunder can't something more than salary relief and a player like Clarkson for RW).

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
OKC wants 2 of the 3...Herro, Bam and Winslow..saw this on Yahoo
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2019, 01:55:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
OKC wants 2 of the 3...Herro, Bam and Winslow..saw this on Yahoo

It would be crazy for Miami to give up any of them.

I'm with Lowe on this one --- if I'm Miami I'm not giving OKC anything other than long term salary relief in return for Russ.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain