Author Topic: Rumor: OKC likely to explore trade possibilities for Westbrook  (Read 12555 times)

Re: Rumor: OKC likely to explore trade possibilities for Westbrook
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2019, 09:45:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think Westbrook in Minnesota make sense in exchange for Wiggins and draft picks.

Minny gets a 1-2 combo of Westbrook and KAT and OKC puts together a nice back-court of Gilgeous Alexander and Wiggins.

Actually that works also

but if OKC doesn't care for Wiggins nor his salary, the Wolves would need to give up lots of picks etc.

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2019, 10:11:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Westbrook in Minnesota make sense in exchange for Wiggins and draft picks.

Minny gets a 1-2 combo of Westbrook and KAT and OKC puts together a nice back-court of Gilgeous Alexander and Wiggins.
I don't think Minnesota would be the one sending picks in that situation. Westbrook's contract is even uglier than Wiggins.

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2019, 10:15:13 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I don't think Minnesota would be the one sending picks in that situation. Westbrook's contract is even uglier than Wiggins.

I remember the slogan 'tanking for Wiggins' what a bust.

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2019, 10:21:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Miami and OKC have so many mid sized salaries that they could pretty easily find a trade that fits into Miami's hard cap.  The real problem is OKC wouldn't want all of those players back so they would have to find a 3rd and maybe 4th team that would participate. 

I think this one would work (not sure if the Cavs would do it as it would make them a clear luxury tax team).

MIA - Westbrook, Dellavedova
OKC - Dragic, Waiters, Adebayo, Smith, Thompson or Henson
CLE - Adams, Olynyk
Why would OKC do that?  They're losing Westbrook and Adams for nothing but cap space.  There are other ways they can get out of the luxury tax.
I assumed Miami would send a 1st in the trade and they'd get Bam who is a solid young player.  And a guy like Dragic could be moved at some point this year for other pieces (perhaps even Thompson or Waiters).

The reality is, Adams is vastly overpaid and they are going to struggle to find a taker for Westbrook.  If the goal is to move on from him, then you get what you can tank, and add a couple of your own high draft picks to the haul they got for George.  Painful this year no doubt, but better off in the long run if they really do want to move on from Russ.
Miami already owes their 2021 (unprotected) and 2023 (lottery protected until it becomes unprotected in 2026) to OKC.   So the best they could offer was a 2025 1st contingent on the 2023 1st conveying and it would have to convert to a 2nd in 2026 because you can't trade picks more than 7 years in the future.   They'll certainly be able to do better than that for Russ.

Edit:  Besides you don't trade a star player to a team whose draft picks you already have.
fair point on the draft picks, but Miami might actually be worse acquiring Russ than standing pat that far down the line.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2019, 10:27:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Miami and OKC have so many mid sized salaries that they could pretty easily find a trade that fits into Miami's hard cap.  The real problem is OKC wouldn't want all of those players back so they would have to find a 3rd and maybe 4th team that would participate. 

I think this one would work (not sure if the Cavs would do it as it would make them a clear luxury tax team).

CLE - Adams, Olynyk
Why would OKC do that?  They're losing Westbrook and Adams for nothing but cap space.  There are other ways they can get out of the luxury tax.

Also why would Cleveland want Adams?
I think Adams and Olynyk would be a nice combo down low for the Cavs.  They have a lot of quality young guard and wing depth, but they really don't have any big men aside from Nance (and Love).  Adams and the Clinic are both young enough and experienced enough to fit in quite well Sexton, Garland, Osman, Windler, Zizic, and Porter (and Nance and Clarkson).  They also aren't good enough to push Cleveland out of the bottom 10 where that 1st is protected (assuming they trade Love).  So the Cavs would still have another top 10 pick next summer to add to that group.  I just think it would make some sense for them getting that defensive and stabilizing force down low.  And if by some chance they actually keep Love, then they might not be in the bottom 10 this year, and both Adams and Olynyk would be useful players on a team that might actually back door into the playoffs (and no I don't think it is likely even if Love plays 70+ games for them, but the last team or two making the playoffs in the East probably isn't going to be very good).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2019, 10:32:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

CLE - Adams, Olynyk

Also why would Cleveland want Adams?
I think Adams and Olynyk would be a nice combo down low for the Cavs.  They have a lot of quality young guard and wing depth, but they really don't have any big men aside from Nance (and Love).  Adams and the Clinic are both young enough and experienced enough to fit in quite well Sexton, Garland, Osman, Windler, Zizic, and Porter (and Nance and Clarkson).  They also aren't good enough to push Cleveland out of the bottom 10 where that 1st is protected (assuming they trade Love).  So the Cavs would still have another top 10 pick next summer to add to that group.  I just think it would make some sense for them getting that defensive and stabilizing force down low.  And if by some chance they actually keep Love, then they might not be in the bottom 10 this year, and both Adams and Olynyk would be useful players on a team that might actually back door into the playoffs (and no I don't think it is likely even if Love plays 70+ games for them, but the last team or two making the playoffs in the East probably isn't going to be very good).

John Beilein pretty much invented 5-out with bigs shooting three pointers.  Now that the NBA has finally caught up to him such that he’s got his first gig in the Association in his 60s, you’re going to give him Steven Adams?  Olynyk, fine, but no way on Adams.

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2019, 10:52:29 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

CLE - Adams, Olynyk
I assumed Miami would send a 1st in the trade and they'd get Bam who is a solid young player.  And a guy like Dragic could be moved at some point this year for other pieces (perhaps even Thompson or Waiters).

The reality is, Adams is vastly overpaid and they are going to struggle to find a taker for Westbrook.  If the goal is to move on from him, then you get what you can tank, and add a couple of your own high draft picks to the haul they got for George.  Painful this year no doubt, but better off in the long run if they really do want to move on from Russ.
Miami already owes their 2021 (unprotected) and 2023 (lottery protected until it becomes unprotected in 2026) to OKC.   So the best they could offer was a 2025 1st contingent on the 2023 1st conveying and it would have to convert to a 2nd in 2026 because you can't trade picks more than 7 years in the future.   They'll certainly be able to do better than that for Russ.

Edit:  Besides you don't trade a star player to a team whose draft picks you already have.
fair point on the draft picks, but Miami might actually be worse acquiring Russ than standing pat that far down the line.
2021 is the unprotected pick and that's just 2 years away. 

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2019, 10:57:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Westbrook is a top 20 player, averages nearly a triple double and puts rumps in the seats.  Wiggins is a bad role player.  Minny would most definitely have to give up at least 1 1st. 

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2019, 11:21:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Westbrook is a top 20 player, averages nearly a triple double and puts rumps in the seats.  Wiggins is a bad role player.  Minny would most definitely have to give up at least 1 1st.
Then Minnesota is not doing that deal, or at least they shouldn't.

Russell Westbrook has declined for the past three years, has had multiple knee surgeries and is now over 30 while playing a style that relies heavily on being the most athletic player on the floor. He also plays a style that is extremely vulnerable in the playoffs. (Portland literally helped off him every action and taunted him into bricking three after three)

32 season owed 41 million
33 season owed 44 million
34 season owed 46 million

You say top 20, but he is around 18-20, and on the decline, and locked in at ridiculous money.

When it comes to contracts the least valuable are Wall, CP3, and Westbrook in that order.

If Minnesota were to trade for him, I'd hope Danny is setting up for the inevitable Towns trade request  8).

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2019, 11:28:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The East is going to be a bloodbath next year if Westbrook to MIA comes into fruition.

PHI = Simmons/Horford/Embiid
MIL = Giannis/Middleton/Lopez
BOS = Walker/Tatum/Hayward
BKN = Irving/Durant/Jordan
IND = Brogdon/Sabonis/McConnell
MIA = Butler/Westbrook

Can't sleep on Orlando either.

IND = Brogdon/Sabonis/McConnell Really? Dipo/Turner/Brogdon

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2019, 11:36:59 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
There aren’t many but teams I see as Westbrook fits:

Obviously Miami

Detroit

Minny. I think Minny would be reluctant after what they went through with Butler and Westbrook’s influence on Towns could be bad. But if OKC wants to rebuild around a young Wiggins, they could make something there.

My very wild dark horse (and people will think I’m crazy)...The Pelicans: Move Lonzo Ball, Etwan Moore, Diallo and three future first of those Laker picks and mix their own.

Westbrook/Holiday/Ingram/Zion/Favors with Hayes, Alexander-Walker, Redick, Darius Miller etc and the rest of those picks could be interesting. I don’t think NOP goes for it, but stranger things have happened.

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2019, 12:46:24 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

Obviously Miami

Detroit

Minny. I think Minny would be reluctant after what they went through with Butler and Westbrook’s influence on Towns could be bad. But if OKC wants to rebuild around a young Wiggins, they could make something there.

My very wild dark horse (and people will think I’m crazy)...The Pelicans: Move Lonzo Ball, Etwan Moore, Diallo and three future first of those Laker picks and mix their own.

Westbrook/Holiday/Ingram/Zion/Favors with Hayes, Alexander-Walker, Redick, Darius Miller etc and the rest of those picks could be interesting. I don’t think NOP goes for it, but stranger things have happened.

Miami doesn't seem to have anything to offer.

Detroit and Minnesota, possibly.

NO is interesting if they want to make a bold move rather than a gradual build.

No team will want to build around Wiggins and his horrible contract. In fact, if Wiggins were offered to any teams sufficiently under the cap for nothing, there probably would be no takers.

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2019, 01:16:33 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
MIA certainly has matching salaries, but they are also hard capped which makes it difficult to trade for Russ without sending back more salary then Russ. And at the same time OKC likely doesn't wnat to take back more salary because of their tax concerns. MIA could offer interesting young guys like Winslow and Bam, but OKC probably doesn't wnat to devalue their 2021 MIA pick which may be their bets asset.

NYK and CHA both make sense but NYK can't do a deal until the contracts they signed become tradable. CHA could be interesting as they can easily put together a bunch of expiring contracts and it would give them a new star.

I continue to think DET makes a lot of sense. That team needs an upside gamble because they arent going to be a big draw in free agency and Bake makes them just good enough that their draft picks arent likely to become a big star. Something like  Jackson, Snell, Kennard and some combination of picks  would make sense. Maybe then you also think about auctioning off Drummond to get some wing help if possible

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2019, 03:08:34 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

Obviously Miami

Detroit

Miami doesn't seem to have anything to offer.

Detroit and Minnesota, possibly.

NO is interesting if they want to make a bold move rather than a gradual build.

No team will want to build around Wiggins and his horrible contract. In fact, if Wiggins were offered to any teams sufficiently under the cap for nothing, there probably would be no takers.

If only they had an unprotected first to offer OKC  ;D :'( ;D :'(
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2019, 05:05:00 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
SGA and westbrook cannot play together

Same position but both are starting caliber on different timelines

Westbrook has to be moved ideally before season begins