Author Topic: Monday 4/3: Draft prospects playing on TV today (ongoing) 2017 Draft  (Read 120822 times)

Re: Sunday 1/8 : Draft prospects playing on TV today (ongoing) 2017 Draft
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2017, 10:27:41 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Giles had only 5 points and 2 rebounds in just 10 minutes.

Tatum had 21 points and 4 rebounds in 38 minutes.

Duke lost though.

I think Duke is just being cautious with Giles. With March Madness coming up, they'll need him to win the championship.

I agree.

I think that he's being real cautious himself, too and looks real tentative out there, almost non-existent. Guy's a ghost right now.

Oh yeah, no doubt, I'm aware they are being cautious with Giles.

I'm getting real impressed with Tatum though. Fultz/Ball are the ideal Top-2 but Tatum has looked real solid this season.
Giles looks quite bad.  His defense is terrible and he's justifiably a foul magnet.  When he's running the court, he looks more like a long distance runner in cruise mode rather than a basketball player.  Right now, he's not big enough or strong enough to play center.  He's a PF who hasn't shown any outside shooting.  He's done a little bit offensively but the only real positive is that he appears to be a good rebounder.  At this point, I would not use a top 10 pick on him in this strong draft.

He looked horrible last night but Im not going to use that game as a barometer. He hasnt played in awhile. When I look at him, I look to see what would work if he never was better than this. Now I will say this, I dont think you can really eval him til the end of next month. I think you can only look for certain things that could work. He is two months behind everyone else and it can be seen in his D and conditioning.
I've seen 3 or 4 of the games he's played and this was representative of his play.  I agree that he's behind the curve but other than his rebounding I'm not seeing anything that projects that well considering the hype.  I watched his DraftExpress strengths video and its not that impressive.  He seems to have center skills in a PF body at this point.  Not sure who his upside projection would be.

He's struggling now, understandably.

But his body of work before college...Goodman mentioned that he's the second best prospect he's seen in the last decade.

Re: Thursday 1/12 : Draft prospects playing on TV today (ongoing) 2017 Draft
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2017, 06:26:33 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
For the Dennis Smith fans, here's a good video of Joel Berry thoroughly out playing him in a Carolina rout:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Joel-Berry-vs-NC-State---Matchup-Video-5777/

Followed that up with an unimpressive performance in a loss to Boston College.

« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2017, 06:32:17 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
For the Dennis Smith fans, here's a good video of Joel Berry thoroughly out playing him in a Carolina rout:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Joel-Berry-vs-NC-State---Matchup-Video-5777/

Followed that up with an unimpressive performance in a loss to Boston College.

From the times that I have seen him, I haven't been that impressed either, and I doubt that Ainge was impressed at Conte with him. Smith didn't stand out at all. And irrespective of his hops, another barely 6 foot point guard!?!?.... no thanks

« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2017, 06:47:45 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Duke lost though.

I think Duke is just being cautious with Giles. With March Madness coming up, they'll need him to win the championship.

I agree.

I think that he's being real cautious himself, too and looks real tentative out there, almost non-existent. Guy's a ghost right now.

I'm getting real impressed with Tatum though. Fultz/Ball are the ideal Top-2 but Tatum has looked real solid this season.
Giles looks quite bad.  His defense is terrible and he's justifiably a foul magnet.  When he's running the court, he looks more like a long distance runner in cruise mode rather than a basketball player.  Right now, he's not big enough or strong enough to play center.  He's a PF who hasn't shown any outside shooting.  He's done a little bit offensively but the only real positive is that he appears to be a good rebounder.  At this point, I would not use a top 10 pick on him in this strong draft.

He looked horrible last night but Im not going to use that game as a barometer. He hasnt played in awhile. When I look at him, I look to see what would work if he never was better than this. Now I will say this, I dont think you can really eval him til the end of next month. I think you can only look for certain things that could work. He is two months behind everyone else and it can be seen in his D and conditioning.
I've seen 3 or 4 of the games he's played and this was representative of his play.  I agree that he's behind the curve but other than his rebounding I'm not seeing anything that projects that well considering the hype.  I watched his DraftExpress strengths video and its not that impressive.  He seems to have center skills in a PF body at this point.  Not sure who his upside projection would be.

I dont mean to argue but I really cant let this stand. His game right now is no where close to what is was before. The only thing that is close is his rebounding and even that isnt what is was in terms of his effort. I say this having watched games from his freshman year, his junior year early, his junior year late, his U19 games, his AAU games, and bits of his mixtapes which I dont put high value on.

You say what is translatable. The guy has great hands and that can be seen in his ability to grab boards right now. His ability to put the ball on the deck an go the full length of the floor and finish with authority is something of high value. He can shoot from 18ft but he has a flat shot.

Some of these things he has yet to show at the college level. Again I dont worry about seeing any of this until the end of next month. If he comes close to what he was I dont see how he gets passed on for some of these players if he is healthy.

« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2017, 06:51:50 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
For all these players its about seeing them over time so what did they look like in game 1 vs 30. Or if you have seen them in HS like Ainge then 1 vs 70. Remember not all skills are shown in particular games on stretches of games or even in the college season at all.

« Reply #260 on: January 14, 2017, 12:19:21 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Prospect watching for 1/14

12:00  ACCN   -   Clemson:  Blossomgame

12:00  ESPN   -   Duke:  Giles, Tatum, Bolden, Kennard, Allen

12:00  FS1   -    Villanova:   Hart

1:00    FS2   -    Creighton:   Patton

1:00    CBS   -   Texas A&M:   Williams

2:00    FS1   -    Xavier:   Sumner

2:00    ESPN2   -   Kansas:   Jackson

2:00    ESPN    -    Florida State:   Isaac, Bacon

4:00    ESPN    -    Kentucky:   Fox, Monk, Bam

4:00    ACCN    -    Syracuse:   Lydon

4:00    PAC12  -   California:  Rabb

6:00    PAC12   -   UCLA:   Ball, Leaf

8:00    PAC12   -   Washington:   Fultz

« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

TP, tazz, thanks for the update!

Lots of watching today.

Looking forward to watching Patton play, but not so much vs Truman State?

« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

TP, tazz, thanks for the update!

Lots of watching today.

Looking forward to watching Patton play, but not so much vs Truman State?
Only have seen Patton in one game so far but looks interesting.  Want to compare him to Williams who i really like. 

« Reply #263 on: January 14, 2017, 12:57:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Duke lost though.

I agree.

But his body of work before college...Goodman mentioned that he's the second best prospect he's seen in the last decade.
yeah, but that body of work is pretty limited and two major knee injuries ago.

Cliff Alexander was the #2 prospect his year and he didnt have debilitating injuries and he went undrafted.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #264 on: January 14, 2017, 01:04:05 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

Duke lost though.

I agree.

Cliff Alexander was the #2 prospect his year and he didnt have debilitating injuries and he went undrafted.

Did you see Cliff Alexander in HS? I did and the two arent comparable. Giles much more skilled than Alexander.

Look at the Skal that played at Kentucky. He was #2 as well. It all depends on the skillset of the player.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:12:52 PM by clevelandceltic »

« Reply #265 on: January 14, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Duke lost though.

I agree.

Did you see Cliff Alexander in HS? I did and the two arent comparable. Giles much more skilled than Alexander.

Look at the Skal that played at Kentucky. He was #2 as well. It all depends on the skillset of the player.
No I havent seen nearly any pre-college tape for anyone.

Skillset is very important thats a good point. I still think its important to note that the evaluation of  Giles is based on roughly half of a high school career. Thats not even accounting for the explosion-sapping injuries he faced.

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #266 on: January 14, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

Duke lost though.

I agree.

No I havent seen nearly any pre-college tape for anyone.

Skillset is very important thats a good point. I still think its important to note that the evaluation of  Giles is based on roughly half of a high school career. Thats not even accounting for the explosion-sapping injuries he faced.
+

Well you also have to consider his AAU and Team USA career. Alexander was very much a run and jump big who was 6'8. Alexander could block shots really run and jump however his skill level wasnt the highest. His understanding of rebounding is not on the level of Giles even right now. Giles has the ability to board outside his area. Giles could also put the ball on the floor and showed signs of an outside shot. I cant say the same for Alexander.

Re: Saturday 1/14 : Draft prospects playing on TV today (ongoing) 2017 Draft
« Reply #267 on: January 14, 2017, 01:43:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Giles

You gotta take him

Re: Saturday 1/14 : Draft prospects playing on TV today (ongoing) 2017 Draft
« Reply #268 on: January 15, 2017, 06:08:47 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTivQVuhqs0

The guy is so tough. Never afraid to absorb contact. I don't care if he can't shoot. He have the winning mentality and toughness of Smart.

edit: He's playing Smart's team. LOL

Re: Sunday 1/15 : Draft prospects playing on TV today (ongoing) 2017 Draft
« Reply #269 on: January 15, 2017, 09:02:38 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
UPDATE: Sunday  1/15

12:00 BTN      Indiana      Anunoby (3), Bryant (31)

1:30   CBS     Mich St      Miles Bridges (22)

6:30  ESPN     NC St        DSJ (4), Yurtseven (14)

Numbers next to names are jersey numbers; makes it easier to jump right in.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:17:28 AM by csfansince60s »