Author Topic: Monday 4/3: Draft prospects playing on TV today (ongoing) 2017 Draft  (Read 120805 times)

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
This on Giles:

“It’s just a matter of him being in shape,” Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski said. “He hasn’t played in 14 months.”

For Giles, playing as a reserve and in limited minutes might take time to get used to.

“Just trying to figure it out, trying to get used to the speed. It was fast, too,” he said. “Just trying to figure it out and get a feel for it.

“Frustrating because how it went. … It was terrible, my performance. I just have to get better. … That was shaking the rust off, getting the kinks out.”

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/duke-freshman-giles-ready-for-more-action-vs-elon-122016

It's going to take a while.

Hopefully it does so we can nab him by trading for another first round pick

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Some interesting stuff on Duke game today.

Giles only played5-6 minutes,  A couple of rebounds a point and a couple of fouls.

Bolden only 3 minutes, zero stat-line.

Greyson Allen was involved in ANOTHER (3 or 4 now, I think) intentional tripping incident. Then he lost his mind like a spoiled, bully child on the bench after the call.....National TV game....lots of NBA scouts there....what are you thinking, man?

Kennard was the best player on the floor again, very efficient, but Tatum had 4 blocks and looks like an NBA player already. Top 3 for me right now.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Some interesting stuff on Duke game today.

Giles only played5-6 minutes,  A couple of rebounds a point and a couple of fouls.

Bolden only 3 minutes, zero stat-line.

Greyson Allen was involved in ANOTHER (3 or 4 now, I think) intentional tripping incident. Then he lost his mind like a spoiled, bully child on the bench after the call.....National TV game....lots of NBA scouts there....what are you thinking, man?

Kennard was the best player on the floor again, very efficient, but Tatum had 4 blocks and looks like an NBA player already. Top 3 for me right now.
Going to be a while before we can truly evaluate Giles.  He's clearly not comfortable on the court yet and there's little connection with his teammates. 

Don't want Allen even with our worst 2nd.  Coach K shouldn't have played him in the 2nd half.  He needs to be suspended for a couple games and given some counseling.   

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
UPDATE: Thursday 12/22 (not much tonight, Cs on anyway)

Potential draftees to watch tonight:

7:00 ACC/ESPN    NC State      Dennis Smith

9:00 CBSSN.        Kansas.        Josh Jackson and 3 potential 2nd rounders: Mykhailiuk, Mason, Vick

Re: Tuesday 12/27: Draft prospects playing on TV tonight (ongoing) 2017 Draft
« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2016, 09:27:09 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
UPDATE: not much on tonight, conference pay starts in earnest tomorrow

Tuesday 12/27

7:00 ACCN    Syracuse     the two Tylers, Lydon and Roberson

9:00 ESPN    Mich State    Miles Bridges (doubtful)

Re: Wednesday 12/28: Draft prospects playing on TV tonight (ongoing) 2017 Draft
« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2016, 10:39:59 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
UPDATE: Wednesday 12/28: at long last, CONFERENCE PLAY

5 p.m.   ESPN2   Fla St      Isaac, Bacon

6:30     BTN       Indiana    Anunoby (questionable), Bryant

6:30     FS1        'Nova      Josh Hart

7:00     ACCN (regional) Clemson   Blossomgame

7:00     ACCN (regional) NC St       Smith

7:00     ESPNU    UNC      Justin Jackson

9:00     PAC12N  UCLA/Oregon  Ball, Leaf/Boucher, Brooks, Bell (I'm really looking forward to this game; don't count out Oregon)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:10:20 AM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I see no reason why Harry Giles should even come out this year.
It's a loaded draft and his stock is at an all-time low. Take the year to rehab and dominate college basketball next year.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2016, 11:06:30 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
It's a loaded draft and his stock is at an all-time low. Take the year to rehab and dominate college basketball next year.

TP.

With all the anticipation and hype of Giles even just playing a game, I think that even the possibility of what you suggest has been lost and so hasn't been considered by many.

In support of your argument, assuming that he works his way back to playing health, that would be a prudent decision, both health-wise and draft stock-wise.

The flip side is that if he doesn't come out and gets re-injured, he's done. Look at Noel and Embiid. Injured, but still got taken in the lottery. Some team will take a chance on Giles this year, especially if he falls to later lottery. That's guaranteed $$$ for Giles, with the only down-side being that he could've made more, if he stayed and IF he remained healthy.

Also, next year's draft is loaded with bigs.

Tough decision. But I think that the short-term guaranteed $$$ is too much to pass up.

« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2016, 11:43:03 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Giles should absolutely leave after the year. Worst case scenario he's a first round, guaranteed contract pick right now (possibly still top 10 depending on how the year goes).

Worst case if he stays in school and gets injured again, he never has a professional basketball career.

« Reply #174 on: December 28, 2016, 09:34:22 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Ducks taking it to UCLA early.

Bruins coming back.

Great game as advertised.

Conference play is real college basketball. Finally!

« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2016, 09:52:09 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Next year might be loaded with bigs but a healthy Giles is a much better prospect than the guys next year.

TP.

With all the anticipation and hype of Giles even just playing a game, I think that even the possibility of what you suggest has been lost and so hasn't been considered by many.

In support of your argument, assuming that he works his way back to playing health, that would be a prudent decision, both health-wise and draft stock-wise.

The flip side is that if he doesn't come out and gets re-injured, he's done. Look at Noel and Embiid. Injured, but still got taken in the lottery. Some team will take a chance on Giles this year, especially if he falls to later lottery. That's guaranteed $$$ for Giles, with the only down-side being that he could've made more, if he stayed and IF he remained healthy.

Tough decision. But I think that the short-term guaranteed $$$ is too much to pass up.

« Reply #176 on: December 28, 2016, 09:55:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Next year might be loaded with bigs but a healthy Giles is a much better prospect than the guys next year.

TP.

I completely agree.

A healthy Giles is potentially a generational talent.

The healthy part is what may make a Giles go for the lesser, surer money this year, though.

« Reply #177 on: December 28, 2016, 10:19:20 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I think Giles is a top 10 pick without any production at Duke. I don't think he should pass up the opportunity to make millions to go back to Duke. If he plays well, he's still going to be a top 10 pick next year (prob top 3). If he doesn't play well and/or gets hurt, his stock would plummet further.

« Reply #178 on: December 28, 2016, 11:17:31 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Dillon Brooks hits a 3 to beat UCLA at the buzzer!!!

Wow.....just WOW!

Re: Thursday 12/29: Draft prospects playing on TV tonight (ongoing) 2017 Draft
« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2016, 11:25:18 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
UPDATE: Thursday 12/29

7:00 SECN       Texas A&M      Robert Williams

8:00 ESPN2      Kentucky        Fox, Monk, Adebayo