Author Topic: Shaq: I'd draft Bol Bol over Zion  (Read 3518 times)

Re: Shaq: I'd draft Bol Bol over Zion
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 08:28:22 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
With the league shifting its focus to the perimeter, you wonder where Shaq would have been drafted out of school today.

Those big guys could be bargains if their game can be worked into a team's system. There has to be a dividend in dominating inside.

Given where Ayton and Zion were drafted I'm pretty sure Shaq would have gone No1 still. 7-1, 300 plus pounds, fast, he was a freakish athlete for any time. I cannot imagine any team picking Christian Laettner over him.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 09:31:30 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
yo, what am I missing? he looks like he could be a great big! This was my first time seeing him and man was I impressed. wow how did he fall so far? Dang, he looks like he is gonna be good if he is healthy, I know he is a twig but wow, if he gets his body in order.  :o just wow.
Massive injury cloud, weighing only 208lbs, motor issues and lack of a developed game in general.
His dad Manute was also a twig.  Based on genetics, it may be difficult for him to gain a lot of weight, maybe just the 25 lbs he lost recently.

The fact that he _lost_ that weight while rehabbing his foot injury is the biggest red flag for me.   He was actually at a solid ~233 lbs last Fall.   Played very well for 9 games.  Gets injured.  And then ... shows up for the pre-draft at just 208 lbs?   

None of the other 'issues' about Bol bother me nearly as much as that.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 09:34:39 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
With the league shifting its focus to the perimeter, you wonder where Shaq would have been drafted out of school today.

Those big guys could be bargains if their game can be worked into a team's system. There has to be a dividend in dominating inside.

Ummmm, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he would still be drafted number 1 overall.

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 09:58:00 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
yo, what am I missing? he looks like he could be a great big! This was my first time seeing him and man was I impressed. wow how did he fall so far? Dang, he looks like he is gonna be good if he is healthy, I know he is a twig but wow, if he gets his body in order.  :o just wow.
Massive injury cloud, weighing only 208lbs, motor issues and lack of a developed game in general.
His dad Manute was also a twig.  Based on genetics, it may be difficult for him to gain a lot of weight, maybe just the 25 lbs he lost recently.

The fact that he _lost_ that weight while rehabbing his foot injury is the biggest red flag for me.   He was actually at a solid ~233 lbs last Fall.   Played very well for 9 games.  Gets injured.  And then ... shows up for the pre-draft at just 208 lbs?   

Why would that be a red flag?  If you have an injury that effects weight bearing like a fracture in your foot losing weight is recommended for healing...

I don't get not making an effort to draft this guy at 19 years old...

His PER was 37.5 (average is 15) he was literally more productive than 2 average players over his extremely short college career.

I also don't get the complaints about motor and work ethic... He's faster down the floor in transition D than a lot of guards even in his "weakness" video... And you can't tell me anyone with that shooting stroke and variety of moves isn't dedicated to their craft. 

This is a Giannis level head-scratcher... If you're not going to take a shot at NBA legacy DNA that's shown glimpses of absolute dominance in the second round what are you doing?  Even if the guy never plays an NBA game he's worth a second round pick...

I get the durability concerns (he only played 9 games)  but Kyrie only played 11 games in college and got drafted 1st overall...

Seriously do not understand Danny not taking a flyer on a shooting big late in the draft in this era with a team that's rebuilding anyways.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2019, 11:44:25 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Ummmm, I'm going to go out on a limb and say he would still be drafted number 1 overall.
Ayton was drafted #1 a year ago, so probably. 

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 03:34:43 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Why would that be a red flag?  If you have an injury that effects weight bearing like a fracture in your foot losing weight is recommended for healing...

I don't get not making an effort to draft this guy at 19 years old...

His PER was 37.5 (average is 15) he was literally more productive than 2 average players over his extremely short college career.

I also don't get the complaints about motor and work ethic... He's faster down the floor in transition D than a lot of guards even in his "weakness" video... And you can't tell me anyone with that shooting stroke and variety of moves isn't dedicated to their craft. 

This is a Giannis level head-scratcher... If you're not going to take a shot at NBA legacy DNA that's shown glimpses of absolute dominance in the second round what are you doing?  Even if the guy never plays an NBA game he's worth a second round pick...

I get the durability concerns (he only played 9 games)  but Kyrie only played 11 games in college and got drafted 1st overall...

Seriously do not understand Danny not taking a flyer on a shooting big late in the draft in this era with a team that's rebuilding anyways.

If he was prescribed by his ortho to lose weight specifically then yeah, I'll grant that's legit reason.

I'd hate to think he lost it because he wasn't taking maintaining his conditioning seriously just because he wasn't playing, though.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 03:48:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Shaq was smoke n one when he said that .   not clear thinking  ;D